SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

How does your PVR350 crash?

I took some time today to re-enable the PVR350 output, UI, and hardware decode only for 2.0.15. I haven't tried PVR350 output in a while since it was incredibly unstable a few versions ago. Here's my experience:

First of all, I'm running SageRecorder v1.5 also, and I start it up before loading SageTV Client. (My SageTV server is on a different PC, with a PVR-250). Right off the bat, the menus are garbage-- black and white garbage.. looks like something is out of sync. This is fixed by playing mpeg video either jumping to live TV or starting a recorded video. At this point, the UI and picture all come through crystal clear. Now, at this point, SageClient will crash in the following two circumstances:

1) If the SageRecorder STOPS recording, the whole system freezes hard requiring a hardware reset to recover. This issue is somewhat addressed through the "never_stop_encoding" option added in 2.0.15, so I use this now for this network encoder and that crash no longer occurs.

2) The second crash is odd. It seems to happen just when I'm watching video-- no provocation, no UI updating or other events which cause it.... the playback just freezes, and SageTVClient stops responding. If I terminate the process and re-start SageTVClient, video playback fails to work and I have to do a hardware reset to get it to work again.

So.. things are more stable than the last time I tried it (Getting lock-ups with UI updates, etc).. But it's still not usable for more than an hour or so before the "causeless lockup" occurs. I have tried running my PC with case open for extra cooling and this had no effect. (I had read somewhere about heat being a problem.. dont think that is the case here). I am running my Client/network encoder box on an EPIA M10000 board with 512MB ram.

Hope this information helps in nailing these last few bugs.

-Dan
Old 04-13-2004, 07:13 AM
Sage User

i pray sage will not release 2.0 without fixing this problem. care to comment sage?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Sage User

Wink

I agree, I hope that Sage steps up to the plate here, as I have commented here before Hauppauge is not aware of any problems with sage and their card. Sage has not contacted them (according to Hauppauge) and they are not making any driver changes to address this issue. Let's hope they do something for their customers with problems. Maybe Sage needs to be reminded that this isn't freeware!!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

so, to make sure we don't get off-topic here, I wanted to reiterate that my reason for starting this thread was to assist Frey Technologies in stabilizing this feature. Nonspecific complaints aren't going to help here. I documented two instances where I can get the PVR350 to become unstable. Does anyone else see any other situations where this happens? The more detail you give, the faster these bugs are going to be fixed.

-Dan
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Dan, you sould submit a bug report if you haven't already.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have. I always do.