SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Not possible to read from windows registry on extender?

I have some java code some windows registry code. It works fine on the server and clients but doesn't on the extenders. I would think the extender should get the same value as the server but I am getting no return for the extender is there anyway around this issue?

I guess worst case scenerio I could write the server read and make the extenders use that read but would require server running before any extenders not ideal.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you talking about extenders in standalone mode? You're not running under Windows in that mode, hence no registry to read.

If you're talking about extender mode, i.e. connected to a SageTV server, then your code is running on the server and reading the server's registry. If you're having issues with that, maybe you're trying to read from keys that don't exist. But in that case I have no idea what you mean about starting the server before the extenders, since your code executes on the server.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Are you talking about extenders in standalone mode? You're not running under Windows in that mode, hence no registry to read.

If you're talking about extender mode, i.e. connected to a SageTV server, then your code is running on the server and reading the server's registry. If you're having issues with that, maybe you're trying to read from keys that don't exist. But in that case I have no idea what you mean about starting the server before the extenders, since your code executes on the server.
Sorry wasn't very clear it is extender mode. The registry key exist on the server as if I run the code on the server it returns correctly in this case It Is a path to a mapped drive, but if I run it on the extender I get a wierd ip address returned instead of the path. To be precise it is returning 127.0.0.1 which is not even a path in my domain.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:59 PM
SageTVaholic

127.0.0.1 is the local machine which would be the server. Wouldn't the path need to be UNC and not mapped?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
127.0.0.1 is the local machine which would be the server. Wouldn't the path need to be UNC and not mapped?

Gerry
Yeah the path in the registry is a unc path but for some reason when the extender gets the value that is what it returns but from the server ui it returns fine.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 PM
SageTVaholic

You're sure you're reading the identical registry path in both cases? If it's a subkey of HKEY_CURRENT_USER then it may not be the same, depending on which user you're logged in as. So for instance SageTVService may be logged in as one user and get one value from that key, whereas the SageTV UI process may be logged in as a different user with a different value.

And to state the obvious, code with Windows registry dependencies won't work on Mac or Linux systems. So be aware that you're excluding those users by introducing such dependencies.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
You're sure you're reading the identical registry path in both cases? If it's a subkey of HKEY_CURRENT_USER then it may not be the same, depending on which user you're logged in as. So for instance SageTVService may be logged in as one user and get one value from that key, whereas the SageTV UI process may be logged in as a different user with a different value.

And to state the obvious, code with Windows registry dependencies won't work on Mac or Linux systems. So be aware that you're excluding those users by introducing such dependencies.
Didn't think of the user situation that is it will have to work around that some way thanks

and as for the other yeah this is for mymovies addin which is windows exclusive unfortunetly so Linux and mac won't be supported.