SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Sage User

Just purchased SagetTV Media Center, now for clients?

I'm still unclear on how to access my WHS SageTV setup. I just purchased the SageTV Media Center as I was told that the key works fine in the Windows Home Server version. I was also told in an email that it comes with 1 free Placeshifter client, but I'm still confused on this part.

The WHS SageTV tab states:

Quote:
SageTV Server Licensed + 1 SageTV Placeshifter/Extender Licenses (trial available)

? - SageTV is delivered with one (1) SageTV Placeshifter/Extender license. Using the field below, you may register SageTV Placeshifter/Extender licenses that you have purchased.
This appears to me that I only get a trial license and not a full license, and its only a Placeshifter/Extender license. Is this correct? What if I want to use only the Client version, as I have no need or desire to have the server available to the WAN, only the LAN?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
SageTVaholic

There is no such thing as a trial license. If you have a Placeshifter license, it's a real one, good indefinitely. I don't WHS myself, but I presume your sales confirmation email included a license key for Placeshifter, which you should enter in the appropriate blank on your SageTV WHS console.

You're correct however that this license won't help you if you want to use SageTV Client instead. For that, you'll need to purchase a separate Client license for each PC where you intend to install Client.

That said, Placeshifter does work on local LAN connections. You don't have to use it over the internet. But Client offers more configuration flexibility, and offloads more of the UI processing from the server. See the FAQ for more on the differences between Placeshifter and Client.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpegger View Post
I'm still unclear on how to access my WHS SageTV setup. I just purchased the SageTV Media Center as I was told that the key works fine in the Windows Home Server version. I was also told in an email that it comes with 1 free Placeshifter client, but I'm still confused on this part.

This appears to me that I only get a trial license and not a full license, and its only a Placeshifter/Extender license. Is this correct? What if I want to use only the Client version, as I have no need or desire to have the server available to the WAN, only the LAN?
Install the placeshifter license via the special menu item on your start menu - I forget what it's labelled - and then download the placeshifter client here
http://www.sagetv.com/postDL.php?tmp...6_6_1Setup.exe

As the other poster mentioned, what you have is a placeshifter license, intended to allow you to use sage from the internet (assuming you set up your router and/or firewall properly) or to use a "media extender" box - a MediaMVP or the custom Sage box. A license to use their normal PC client is separate and I think costs about $30.

THe licensing is a bit wonky in my opinion but you will love Sage, it's rock solid.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
SageTV Server Licensed + 1 SageTV Placeshifter/Extender Licenses (trial available)

? - SageTV is delivered with one (1) SageTV Placeshifter/Extender license. Using the field below, you may register SageTV Placeshifter/Extender licenses that you have purchased.
BTW: where did that quote come from. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought that SageTV on WHS automatically adds a placeshifter license (built in), not that you have to add the 1 it comes with.

Quote:
What if I want to use only the Client version, as I have no need or desire to have the server available to the WAN, only the LAN?
You can buy a Client license separately, if you wish, but you can use Placeshifter on a LAN. Also see this FAQ:
What is the difference between SageTV Client and Placeshifter?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Sage User

The sales confirmation only included one SageTV license key, and made no mention of what software to use it with. I used it with the WHS install and it accepted it just fine and is currently up and running.

I don't mind using Placeshifter, though I'd rather use the Client version for the same reasons you stated, and the ability to configure SageTV for one is very important as the WHS tab entry for SageTV only allows you to start or stop the service. Everything else must be either configured from the WHS it's installed on (RDP in), or configured from a networked PC. If the Placeshifter version doesn't have the full configuration options that the Client version would have, that would mean an extra step everytime I need to change anything on the server (not a real biggy though).

Still the big question I guess really is, where is the Placeshifter license? Or did the fact that I purchased the combo HD-200 with SageTV MC do away with the free license?

[Edit] After reading that link and Opus4's post, I'm guessing the Placeshifter license is already registered with the SageTV server, so I can simply install Placeshifter on my PC and view away. But after checking out that link, I also realized that I'd still want to get a Client version as I do want to play DVDs and have the ability to use my codec of preference, the later being the most important one to me. Kinda sucks we can't get the Client version included instead of the Placeshifter version, or even get a choice when purchasing. [/Edit]

Last edited by Mpegger; 02-03-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If the Placeshifter version doesn't have the full configuration options that the Client version would have, that would mean an extra step everytime I need to change anything on the server (not a real biggy though).
To be clear: Placeshifter gives you full server admin access for setting up recordings and managing your media library and such. There's no difference between Placeshifter and Client on that score. The configuration differences are on the client side, in terms of your ability to select codecs and tweak image quality during media playback.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
SageTVaholic

And really, the only reason the placeshifter license is included with the WHS install is for configuration (and to make up for the fact that the WHS install doens't really even HAVE a UI. You are correct, though, that if you are going to use the WHS version of teh software, then it is probably better to use either SageTVClient or an HD-200 for actually watching your media.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

The client license really is more complicated than it needs to be. There are 2 types of client licences, one for PC clients, the other is for placeshifter/extenders. They cost the same so it would make more sense if there was just one client license and you could use it for any client.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats View Post
The client license really is more complicated than it needs to be. There are 2 types of client licences, one for PC clients, the other is for placeshifter/extenders. They cost the same so it would make more sense if there was just one client license and you could use it for any client.
I believe the reasoning is that since Placeshifter does nothing at all without a server, the license can safely live on the server. Whereas Client executes locally and can be used without a server to navigate menus and play media from local drives and network file servers. So Client has to be licensed locally on the machine where it's installed.