SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Sage Expert

Anyone running Placeshifter in Linux?

Curious as to what your experience has been before I pony up the $ to buy a copy. Too bad there's no trial but I can understand why that'd be difficult. Thanks.

Edit: Ok, that's a pretty dumb question in the Linux placeshifter forum. But I can't figure out how to delete this thread.

What I'm really trying to do is get a sense of whether I'll be able to play my HD-PVR files smoothly on my LAN with no transcoding. They play smoothly in Windows placeshifter, but not in Linux using MPlayer an whatever the other movie player is that comes standard in Ubuntu.

Note it's a T400 I'll be using (I think 2.4ghz dual-core, ATI 3450 but I don't think video-acceleration is possible here anyway).

Thanks!

P.S. - Is there a non-OEM Sage Placeshifter for Linux? That's what threw me and caused me to post in the wrong forum before the mod moved it here.

Last edited by Chriscic; 02-24-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Chris,

I'm not 100% sure of what you are trying to achieve. It looks like you already have your server already setup under Windows (since you say you get smooth playback under Windows) and want to watch recordings on a linux machine via PlaceShifter. If that's the case, you do not need any new license since the PlaceShifter license is registered on the server and allows a PlaceShifter to connect from either linux or Windows. Just install the linux placeshifter and it will work.

If you want to setup a linux server, you need to purchase a full license.

Make sense?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Sage Expert

Ahhhhhh... think I was confusing having to pay for Sage Server for Linux vs. Sage Placeshifter for Linux which I guess is actually free so long as you have a placeshifter licence.

Let me go try this out. Thanks; maybe I get to wear a dunce cap for today.