SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ceton Infinity-4 new multicard recorder compatible with SageTV????

With the new ceton card announced for preorders shipping may 31 does anyone have any idea if it will be sageTv compatible. so far seems like only media center but would love to use this instead of all my hdPVRs...
Old 03-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericft View Post
With the new ceton card announced for preorders shipping may 31 does anyone have any idea if it will be sageTv compatible. so far seems like only media center but would love to use this instead of all my hdPVRs...
I sent Ceton an e-mail to find out more about their product. I found a Youtube video and some product information with a web search for Centon.

I'm not sure you cable providers like Comcast would be willing to accept the device, which is not owned by them, on their cable system. Comcast would loose $10 a month from every HD cable box that they would not be renting. I would jump at the price of about $400, if it worked, and the $10 per HD box monthly rental price could be avoided.

Dave
Old 03-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I'm not sure you cable providers like Comcast would be willing to accept the device, which is not owned by them, on their cable system. Comcast would loose $10 a month from every HD cable box that they would not be renting. I would jump at the price of about $400, if it worked, and the $10 per HD box monthly rental price could be avoided.

Dave
Comcast has no choice but to allow it. That's the whole point of Cable Card - it was mandated by the FCC. This is no different than using a TiVo with Cable Card. Comcast freely publishes the rates for renting a cable card now.

As for whether Sage will support it, there has been a lot of speculation and many threads on this forum regarding that topic. It appears that there is no way for Sage to support any cable card tuner natively right now due to DRM restrictions. The best chance of support in the immediate future is through the use of a a 3rd party add-on.

There is at least one add-on currently available that is designed to make any tuner installed under Windows Media Center appear as a network encoder to Sage. In theory, Sage would be able to send a command through this plug-in to tell Windows Media Center to use the Ceton device to record a show. WMC would record the file in its standard format which includes DRM and cannot be played by Sage. The plugin would then transcode the video in real-time back to a MPEG-2 stream that Sage could accept and play back. The limitation is that this would only be possible on recordings that had been flagged as "Copy Freely" any recording marked "Copy Once" or "Never Copy" could not be trans-coded and would still not be playable by Sage.

Obviously this hasn't been tested with the Ceton cards yet, since they haven't been released. But, it should work. The big question is, which shows will be marked "Copy freely"? This seems to be largely up to the cable companies and could vary from market to market, plus they could change their policies at any time. You can bet any "premium" content, like HBO movies will not be marked "copy freely".
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-21-2010, 05:34 PM
SageTVaholic

I called my cable company and spoke to the techs who told me it was no problem. They just had to some to my house to install the CableCard and that would cost me a one time charge of $35.

Too bad the darn thing is so expensive.

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Be very wary of any product that enforces copy protection flags. Some cablecos will blanket-flag everything (time warner does this AFAIK), while others do it on a per show basis that could change at any time (FIOS does this). All of that could change overnight, rendering your $400 box and $35 install fee worthless.

I got my parents a tivo HD awhile ago, and they're running it with two cablecards. I showed them how to use tivo2go or whatever the pull-it-to-the-pc program is called these days. Back when they were on TWC, every show was DRM-ed when they pulled it off the unit, and once they switched to fios, only the premium channels have DRM.
1x HDHR (dual tuner) <- Verizon wire
3x HD200 wired latest beta fw
Gig-E wired network
Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Sage Icon

Ceton quad cable card?

Is there any chance SageTV can support this?

http://www.cetoncorp.com/products.php

* merged *
Old 04-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

subscribed. hopefully sage announces something in here. this could be very nice.
Setup #7.6 Hyper-V (again!)
Hardware: Comcast Basic Digital Cable, (1) HDHR3-CC 20170815 firmware, 36GB "system" drive, 2TB laptop drives, a buttload of archive drives, HP DL380G6 2x X5660 processors (4 cores to VM), 4GB ram
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, SageTV v9.1.2.662, Java v1.8.0_131, STV 2017052101, HD300 extenders
Old 04-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you haven't already seen, there is a long thread about a plugin from babvgant which uses cablecard via WMC as a network encoder.

Thread here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ight=cablecard

As pointed out by Tiki, obviously no one has tested this with the Ceton quad card yet, but it should work.

The biggest caveat as mentioned by Tiki, is whether your particular provider has marked content as "copy freely" or not. This will vary by provider, and may make the ceton card either a) an awesome solution to get multiple streams of non-network HD into sage or b) a complete nonstarter. Premium channels (HBO, etc) will almost certainly not be tagged "copy freely", but it will still be great to have an HDPVR or R5000 (which seems to be fading, at this point) alternative.

cheers,
Dave
Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Lightbulb Important Note On These Cards / Devices

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=292

Check before you buy.

Quote:
Some cable companies use a technology called Switched Digital Video to transmit TV stations. If your cable provider uses Switched Digital Video, you will need to use an SDV adapter. Some cable providers only support two tuners with their SDV adapters. Please contact your cable provider to find out if you live in an SDV area and how many tuners their adapter supports.
You might want to look into this before looking at getting any CableCard device. If SDV exists and the cable company adapters only support two tuners, then it doesn't make sense to get a model with more than two tuners.

Last edited by doncote0; 04-30-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Sage User

SageTV and Ceton InfiniTV 4

Will the Ceton InfiniTV 4 (including W7) work with SageTV (server)? Also, will I still be able to utilize my Hauppauge MediaMVP clients? I have no problem moving to an HD compatible device once I get everything up and running. My Comcast analog channels are dropping like flies and I don't want to make any moves until I know what SageTV can provide.

* merged *
Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Sage Expert

No, cablecard does not work with SageTV.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Directly, no. Indirectly? Yes.

http://babgvant.com/files/folders/sa...ntry14737.aspx

However, the whole "so you're saying there's a chance...one in a million talk" scene from Dumb and Dumber comes to mind...
Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Talking Nice Work Babgvant!

Quote:
No, cablecard does not work with SageTV.
It would be more accurate to say that CableCard does not directly work with SageTV, yet.

It probably will though--Sage has already had a few conversations about this (with Silicondust and the FCC for instance).
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lore View Post
Directly, no. Indirectly? Yes.

http://babgvant.com/files/folders/sa...ntry14737.aspx

However, the whole "so you're saying there's a chance...one in a million talk" scene from Dumb and Dumber comes to mind...
yeah, I saw that post a while back. I would be nice to hear something official from SageTV regarding cable card support on the upcoming v7. Again, my biggest issue is the client/server ability.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one View Post
I would be nice to hear something official from SageTV regarding cable card support on the upcoming v7.
They've been pretty forthcoming about what's in V7, and so far CableCard hasn't been mentioned. I think it's pretty unlikely that they would add something that significant this late in the Beta cycle.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lore View Post
Wowza, this might just work for my Hava tuner that's already integrated with WMC. That. Would. Totally. Make. My. Day.
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
Wowza, this might just work for my Hava tuner that's already integrated with WMC. That. Would. Totally. Make. My. Day.
Which Hava are you using? I was using my Hava HD Wireless for about a year, natively with SageTV before the HDPVR came out.

BTW: Is it as hot on Venus as they say it is?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
Which Hava are you using? I was using my Hava HD Wireless for about a year, natively with SageTV before the HDPVR came out
That's what I have but the more recent firmware versions has screwed up channel changing from SageTV. I think. If I'm wrong, let me know Or maybe I'll try it now that I was able to figure out how to add network -- ah, that was the problem, I think, I couldn't quite figure out all the right settings when adding it as tuner...

Quote:
BTW: Is it as hot on Venus as they say it is?
Hotter
Old 07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Sage Icon

Okay, configured a new tuner to use the Hava and it won't change channels

Monsoon (the company) have supplied a nice virtual tuner that works with WMC which is why I was hoping the SageMCTuner bit would work -- I can get the Hava to work just fine with WMC.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
Okay, configured a new tuner to use the Hava and it won't change channels

Monsoon (the company) have supplied a nice virtual tuner that works with WMC which is why I was hoping the SageMCTuner bit would work -- I can get the Hava to work just fine with WMC.
Ahh, I use a USBUIRT for tuning, so I never dealt with their stuff.

Tags
cablecard, ceton