SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Never Ending Conflict

Ive had the Sage Confilict Icon for the past... well i dont know how long, probly at for the last month or two.

Ive never seen a sage window pop up to tell me that i had a conflict and how it should be resolved and when i go the scheduled recordings menu item i dont see any overlapping shows. Ive never padded any show either.

So its just kinda there.

Is anyone else having this problem? or does anyone have any suggestions on why this is happening.

thanks.

This is happening on Ver 2 RC1
Old 04-22-2004, 03:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Click the conflict icon, or go to Shedule Recordings->Recording Information to go to the conflict resolution screen...
you can then see each conflict, what will be recorded, and select what to do about it (which includes 'nothing'!)
Old 04-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have a simlar problem, but when I select the conflict, and choose 'Do Nothing', the conflict warning for that show doesn't disappear.... Should it?
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 04-22-2004, 03:58 PM

I think when you say Do Nothing it will leave the conflict there. In essence Sage will behave as if you did nothing to try and resolve the conflict and try and determine which to record on its own.

Selecting one of the other choices makes it go away for me.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

For me, selecting "Do Nothing" does not remove the conflict icon. In my opinion, it really should remove the icon, as I've clearly reviewed it at that point and decided it was behaving correctly. To leave the icon showing a conflict devalues the icon, as now I can't tell if I have a new conflict that I need to review.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
go to Shedule Recordings->Recording Information to go to the conflict resolution screen...
okay, never even knew that existed.

went to that screen and had 5 entries there, 2 of them had conflict icons next to them. so i went and hit options and chose different options, (not do nothing) and still the conflicts are there, the conflict icons do not go away. its kinda confusing. Are all the items listed in that screen in a conflict or just the ones that have the icon next to them?
Old 04-23-2004, 10:29 AM

The ones listed are shows that will not be recorded because something else is on at the same time but a preference has already been selected. The ones with icons are telling you that you have never given a preference of it so to do something with it.

Just curious, but what are some valid reason for selecting Do Nothing from this menu?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:03 AM
SageTVaholic

If you only have one tuner and you want to record one show over the another
Old 04-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

A conflict is another interface with ir. The 'intellegent' in ir is referring to us, not the application. It takes explicit effort to impart our intelligence into the app.

Do Nothing means exactly that. I don't want to take the effort to tell you what to do so don't do anything. The conflict remains.

The solution is to simply tell sage what to do. Sometime it takes several dialogs before the conflict is resolved and it's irritating but how else could you do it? We need a more comprehensive interface into the ir logic. Just how much time are we willing to spend teaching our tv?

Along with Studio for the ui, I think there should be a Studio for the ir engine. Think about intelligent recording setup skins. I like documentarys and sci fi and news and certain stations and don't like certain stations and soaps and entertainment but everything with De Niro so you set up a skin that tells ir to do this. Other skins could be politics, women, kids, or whatever.

An ir skin would have all of this setup so you just plug it in, sage behaves in a certain way and you train from there.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Skins are a good idea. How about a IR Wizard too? Steps you through what stations do you like, what kind of movies, what actors, what don't you like, what can I ignore, etc. Maybe that way we can start the IR off with a base knowledge so it doesn't have to learn so much,

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

So what do we have to do to make this happen?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by glbrown
So what do we have to do to make this happen?
Keep asking Frey to add more IR features?

- Andy
Old 04-23-2004, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Do Nothing means exactly that. I don't want to take the effort to tell you what to do so don't do anything. The conflict remains.
While I agree that there is still a conflict as far as recording, I still think the Icon should go away once I've selected "Do Nothing". For me this means I agree with Sage's decision on what to do "this time". I may make a different decision "next time". I don't want Sage's IR reordering it's prefernces just to get rid of a conflict notice. And yes I know I can answer the question as only "this time", but as has been pointed out with one tuner and multiple overlapping conflicts this can take many dialog boxes. All to say "Yes Sage, I agree with your wise decision." ie do nothing. It seems to me Sage removed the conflict icon once you selected do nothing in some of the earlier betas.EDIT:After doing some checking there is no way to answer the questions in such a way that says I agree with Sage's recording decision. This means changing "Do Nothing" behavior OR adding an option to "Allow Sage to Decide" is even more needed.

RC1 makes the conflict notice almost useless to my wife. It's been up for over a week and she's already seen all the potential conflicts and is fine(selected do nothing) with them. She doesn't want to be quized just to get it to go away. The reason she wants it gone is so she can easily tell when a "new" conflict has been detected. Nothing is more irritaing about our Tivo than going to watch a show you know was on, only to find it wasn't recorded due to a conflict. With Sage she had an easy way of preventing this, by noticing the unresolved conflict icon. Right now Sage is no better than Tivo in that she must go thru a long list(Tivo) or many Questions(Sage) just to make sure, shows she wants recorded, aren't going to be missed.

Often my wife is hesitant to override Sage's choices since she's afraid it will cause one of my shows to be missed. I know this is a matter of teaching her, but if she ever accidently answered a question in a way that caused one of my shows to be not recorded. She'd never use that part of Sage again. It took me a long time to convince her that the computer is ours, not mine. I have her to the point where she loves Sage and I don't want that ruined over such a simple matter. I know I can't be the only man with a wife who feels like all the electronics are mine rather than community property. Am I?

Still, I can understand why some would still want a conflict icon even after selecting "do nothing", but this should be an option. In our opinion. Also just to clarify, I'm only asking for the conflict Icon to be removed not the actual conflict listing in the Recording Information screen.

Edit: In reading over this posting I realize it may come across as harsh. I'm sorry it was not meant that way. However the fact that it came out the way that it did probably reflects the emotions I'm feeling from wife. No hard feelings, I'd just like a choice on Sage's behavior in this matter.

Last edited by justme; 04-24-2004 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:08 PM

All sounds reasonable to me, eruji have you posted a feature request for this? If not a feature request and link to this forum would be a great idea.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

For what it's worth, I totally agree with justme. I've had the conflict icon up since I first started using sage, and now I just ignore it because it can't seem to make it go away. Make it useful again!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
have you posted a feature request for this?
I havnt suggested any features in this thread, i was just wondering why when i resolve conflicts they never go away.

Its not really a big deal, like coppit said, the conflict is always there and i just ignore it.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:15 AM

I've just filed about this, since RC2 is the same. Personally I consider this a bug, since(as others have posted) it makes the conflict icon essentialy useless. Hopefully Jeff can add the compromise that was mentioned in this thread to Sage2 before it's totally finalized, since this is a very minor change. It would go a long way towards making Sage much more intuitive to new users.IMO Also it would make my wife happy, which is always a good thing.

Last edited by justme; 04-24-2004 at 01:17 AM.