SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Basic Sleep Timer for SageTV V7

This is a basic sleep timer that is accessible from the video playback screen of SageTV V7. I tried to recreate the sleep timer that was available for SageMC as an addon. I used the plug in all the time, and could not live without it

1. From Media Player screen select options
2. From options menu select Sleep Timer
3. Select time for when Sage should go to sleep
4. To cancel select the off value

When the timer is up it puts sage to sleep using the sage command "Power Off".

Let me know if you see any issues.

Thanks,
Josh

Release Notes:
1.0.0 - Inital build
1.1.3 - Added and option to cancel when sage is about to go to sleep.
- Changed the sleep command from SageCommand("Power Off") -> Exit()

Last edited by jvl711; 05-26-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Sage Icon

cool, thanks for that.
now, for an advanced sleep timer, perhaps port over the auto-sleep timer that automatically sleeps Sage if you don't touch the remote for a certain length of time.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

When I use the timer it puts the screen saver on instead of turning it off. Is their another option I need to change to make it turn off the hd200? or does this not work with the hd200? Thanks.
HD200: 46" LCD & HD200:26" LCD
Old 05-26-2010, 05:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
When I use the timer it puts the screen saver on instead of turning it off. Is their another option I need to change to make it turn off the hd200? or does this not work with the hd200? Thanks.
I do not know if there is a way to turn off the HD200 from an STV. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know. The main reason for this plugin was to stop an HD200 from recording live tv when I go to sleep. It does full fill that, but I would prefer if it could shut of the HD200.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

New version should be up in the repository shortly.

1.0.0 - Inital build

Now the sleep timer turns of HD100/HD200 when timer is up. Using Exit() command.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for that tweak, works great. This just reminds me again of why I love the Sage Community especially the devs. Post request and if its possible they will make it happen. I was thinking about getting Tivo Premiere but probably not after using v7.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for that tweak, works great. This just reminds me again of why I love the Sage Community especially the devs. Post request and if its possible they will make it happen. I was thinking about getting Tivo Premiere but probably not after using v7.
You are welcome! Sleep timer was something I could not live without.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
New version should be up in the repository shortly.

1.0.0 - Inital build

Now the sleep timer turns of HD100/HD200 when timer is up. Using Exit() command.
can you make it so that this is selectable between Exit and Power Off? I use this on a PC and don't need the sleep timer to exit the SageTV program, just put it to sleep.

In addition, is there a way to revert back to 1.0.0?

Last edited by ke6guj; 05-29-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:03 AM
Sage User

I agree with ke6guj -- I too use the Sleep Timer on a PC -- and imagine my shock when I woke up in the middle of the night with flooding light coming from the TV because it had quit to the desktop instead of sleeping SageTV ..

I thought the idea was to lull me off to sleep, not make me think that aliens were invading

A preference item or switch of some sort would be nice. OR two separate plugins: "Sleep Timer for PC", "Sleep Timer for HD200".

Cheers
Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

also if possible if their is way to have the hd200 turn off after a certain time of inactivity would be great as well. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANightHawk View Post
I agree with ke6guj -- I too use the Sleep Timer on a PC -- and imagine my shock when I woke up in the middle of the night with flooding light coming from the TV because it had quit to the desktop instead of sleeping SageTV ..

I thought the idea was to lull me off to sleep, not make me think that aliens were invading

A preference item or switch of some sort would be nice. OR two separate plugins: "Sleep Timer for PC", "Sleep Timer for HD200".

Cheers
Even if I sleep Sage it will go to the desktop, and Sage will go to the task tray. Is this not what you wanted? Do you want an option to just stop playback?

I will add an option to select Sleep/Turn Off. I am going to default it to Turn Off though. Let me know if you think it needs a stop playback option as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
also if possible if their is way to have the hd200 turn off after a certain time of inactivity would be great as well. Thanks.
I will think about writing this, you are now the second person who has asked for it. I want to add it as another plugin though. I think I might make it as another Screen Saver Option. That way I am already using the built in hooks for inactivity.

Would it be OK if it did not Turn Off/Sleep Sage when MediaPlayer is in use. That is the way screen saver currently works.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Even if I sleep Sage it will go to the desktop, and Sage will go to the task tray. Is this not what you wanted? Do you want an option to just stop playback?

I will add an option to select Sleep/Turn Off. I am going to default it to Turn Off though. Let me know if you think it needs a stop playback option as well.
however you had 1.0.0 set up was fine. It did not send Sage to the task tray and show the desktop, playback just stopped and the screen saver just came on

Old 05-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I will think about writing this, you are now the second person who has asked for it. I want to add it as another plugin though. I think I might make it as another Screen Saver Option. That way I am already using the built in hooks for inactivity.

Would it be OK if it did not Turn Off/Sleep Sage when MediaPlayer is in use. That is the way screen saver currently works.
the way the auto sleep timer worked was that if you were watching a show and did not touch the remote for a period of time (say two hours), that it would automatically sleep Sage. The reason it worked this way was that if you left Sage on to go to sleep, it would automatically sleep sage after a couple hours. YOu wouldn't need to manually set the timer to do this. Also, some people don't think to stop LiveTV when they turn off the TV and leave the house. With autosleep, it automatically sleeps Sage after a couple hours so that you don't have Sage markng a ton of show watched just because Sage was left playing LiveTV.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've been loving the plugin, so thanks for making it. I wonder if you have any input or suggestions for this scenario:

It's tough to program a remote control macro due to the Options menu seemingly changing the number of items it displays (e.g. Comskip sometimes is there, if it ran). Is there another way to more reliably bring up the Sleep Timer dialog in Sage than: (hit option, hit down 7 times, hit enter ....).

Background:
I use an HD100 and want to set my TV and Sage to sleep. It works great if I go through separate steps on either remote every-time. I programmed my Harmony remote to do this for the TV, and Sage, but the number of down arrow commands in the options menu changes with context of differing shows.

Off topic -
My wife reported that if she plays a folder of shows she didn't think the sleep timer worked. Not sure as I didn't try to replicate that. Not a big deal anyway.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Sage User

This is a handy plugin, I use it on my bedroom HD300 all the time. Great job.

However, I have a request.. Since I use comskip and/or watch video files, shows are typically ~22 or ~44 minutes. Doesn't really line up with the 15, 30 or 60 minutes I have to choose, and I've found myself awake staring at the menu screen a couple of times (Not sure why, a show in the background puts me mostly to sleep, but the bright light and no sound seems to get my attention). I'm not sure what the best user experience would be though to change this..

I had 3 ideas:
  • Allow the list of times to be customized somehow. (This seems complex, as it would either require a whole bunch of UI added, or require messy editing of the .properties files)
  • Add an entry (and maybe remove some of the existing entries) for "Enter time manually". This would prompt the user to enter a time themselves.
  • Add an option "Sleep when current recording is finished". This would just sleep as soon as whatever you're watching ends. This is nice as it removes the need to even think about time left. Giving the user a few seconds to cancel would probably be good..