SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Client: Does It Work From Remote Location?

I've got 'Shifter working from afar but, AFIK, it does not play movies that have been ripped to DVD-like folders on the server.

Client does do them, but will it work from a remote location?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Short answer: no. Placeshifter is the remote client. SageTV Client is designed for local LAN use only.

You can use a VPN to fake Client into thinking it's running locally, but because the UI runs on the client computer, UI performance will be painfully limited by your connection bandwidth as it tries to access the media database remotely. (Whereas with Placeshifter, the UI runs on the server and all DB access happens there; only the screen updates are remoted.)
Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

That and unless you've got about a 10Mbps (up) internet pipe you won't actually be able to play anything anyway.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Short answer: no. Placeshifter is the remote client. SageTV Client is designed for local LAN use only.

You can use a VPN to fake Client into thinking it's running locally, but because the UI runs on the client computer, UI performance will be painfully limited by your connection bandwidth as it tries to access the media database remotely. (Whereas with Placeshifter, the UI runs on the server and all DB access happens there; only the screen updates are remoted.)
For somebody who just rips "Main Movie" anyhow, that sounds like a case for ripping DVDs to .MPG instead of the Folder | AUDIO_TS/VIDEO_TS/Whatever.VOB/.IFO scheme.

Is there a gotcha lurking in that idea?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I'd go MKV over mpeg program stream, better substream (subtitle, audio track) support as well as chapters.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'd go MKV over mpeg program stream, better substream (subtitle, audio track) support as well as chapters.
I dabbled in MKV a year or two ago and, at the time, it didn't seem mature enough.

Sounds like you are using it - so maybe it's progressed?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 PM
SageTVaholic

So - Not a client, but an Extender can play ripped DVD remotely. Also, Slingbox tied to a client/extender is a viable option and provides a mobile platform too.

B
Old 07-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
So - Not a client, but an Extender can play ripped DVD remotely. Also, Slingbox tied to a client/extender is a viable option and provides a mobile platform too.B
I've got the SlingBox/Extender setup now - mainly to play with.

The response time for menu clicks is really slow and the custom remote control for HD100/200 leaves something tb desired.

But I agree it is a usable setup.

Could you elaborate on the "Remote Extender" reference?

Implication seems tb that I could be in a hotel somewhere and hook the HD200 I brought with me into my server at home.

Or am I just wishing?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
Implication seems tb that I could be in a hotel somewhere and hook the HD200 I brought with me into my server at home.
Yes, that's right. The HD200 supports a Placeshifter mode that can connect remotely over the Internet.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Yes, that's right. The HD200 supports a Placeshifter mode that can connect remotely over the Internet.
Wow! That's on my list of things to try ASAP.

Gonna visit at a daughter at the Jersey Shore this Wednesday.

Main problem is gonna be proximity of the ISP connection to the TV, but I've been there at home and gotten around it with a bridge.

I'll take a spare HD200 down there and try hiding it somewhere that I can run an HDMI cable to the TV from - and then hope to mess up everybody's mind later on by firing up a movie....
Old 07-30-2010, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I dabbled in MKV a year or two ago and, at the time, it didn't seem mature enough.
I play with it. I'm not sure what you mean by maturity though, MKV itself hasn't really changed much in a long time. The only thing that's really changed lately is that Sage now supports chapters in MKV, removing the only really big difference (functionality wise) between an MKV and a movie only "folder rip".

I still don't waste my time converting since folders for DVD and BD work just fine for me (I don't have enough away-from-home use for placeshifter, or the outbound bandwidth to use it without huge PQ loss).

What I have done is played with ripping individual episodes (actually upconverting to 1080p) and stuffing that in an MKV container, which seems to work fine, at least locally.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Wow! That's on my list of things to try ASAP.
That still won't get you DVD folder playback support, as it is still limited to placeshifter's capabilities.

MakeMKV does a really good job of ripping DVD's to MKV (also can be pointed to your already ripped DVD folders).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-31-2010, 06:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Granted, I haven't tried it in a while but it definitely worked for me when I had fios. B
Old 07-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by maturity though, MKV itself hasn't really changed much in a long time.
My recollection isn't exactly crystal clear.... -)

But I think it had something to do with the ripping/conversion being a multi-stage process - as opposed to just firing up DvdShrink and winding up with a usable end product.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But I think it had something to do with the ripping/conversion being a multi-stage process - as opposed to just firing up DvdShrink and winding up with a usable end product.
Ahh, yeah.. makemkv is your friend then.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

MakeMKV is great.. I mostly use it for episodic DVDs. Ive ripped some of my HD-DVDs with it as well.

Ive had a couple issues where it couldn't rip, tho I don't use AnyDVD or anything like that either.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 PM
SageTVaholic

AnyDVD-HD, with MakeMKV, has worked for everything I need... The movies I want menus for, I just copy the folders over from the disc.. those where I only want the movie, or TV show discs, I use MakeMKV.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomdog32 View Post
MakeMKV is great.. I mostly use it for episodic DVDs. Ive ripped some of my HD-DVDs with it as well.

Ive had a couple issues where it couldn't rip, tho I don't use AnyDVD or anything like that either.
I must be doing something wrong.

The rip went ok ("Gladiator"), but playback doesn't seem tb in the cards.

First time I click it in the Videos list, it starts playing - as if I had ripped "Main Movie", but if I close it I can't play it again (just flashes on the screen and closes) until I mark it "Watched".

Jumping forward advances the clock/progress bar, but the video never happens.

Finally, PlaceShifter has hung twice already and had tb killed via TaskMan both times.

Tried with and without 3D accelleration, but it didn't seem to make any diff.

Probably doing something stupid - one of my many talents.... but what?

Last edited by PeteCress; 07-31-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Placeshifter isn't really the best place to try these things, it may very well be a transcoding issue.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Placeshifter isn't really the best place to try these things, it may very well be a transcoding issue.
It looks pretty good under VLC Media Player, except that I can't turn subtitles off.... but that might be a VLC issue for all I know.

But PlaceShifter is the only reason I'd use .MKV... so if it doesn't work there....

Bottom line: is anybody getting good playbacks of .MKV videos under PlaceShifter?