SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
Imagine the time it would take for Sage to code their own mobile version of the forums, if that's even possible in a vBulletin forum. Forget that, I'd rather have them spend their time improving the product. Instead, install the Tapatalk plugin for a vBulletin board by registering here: http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php . It's completely free to install the plugin. The app only costs $3.
I don't think that Sage would have to code a mobile version of the forums. vbulletin is one of the most popular forum software out there, so the chances are, there is already a mobile skin for the forums.

I think that when we break it down... the issue is that people want to access the forums from their mobile device. Tapatalk provides a solution for some devices, and costs money to be useful... whereas a mobile skin works on more devices, and it would be free to the end users.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I don't think that Sage would have to code a mobile version of the forums. vbulletin is one of the most popular forum software out there, so the chances are, there is already a mobile skin for the forums.
In fact mayamaniac already linked to one in post #12 on this thread.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok well I guess my point is that it is completely free to install the plugin and takes 10 minutes to do. So why not do it for those of us who are rich enough to afford the $3 app.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM
SageTVaholic

They could spend that same 10 minutes installing something that's free to end users and works on a wider variety of devices. If they then want to spend another 10 minutes installing TapaTalk for those who insist on it, I don't really have a problem with that. I just don't think a paid app should be the only option.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I can see using a native web app as opposed to a just a mobile web app if the native app provides something that can't be done in the mobile app... but we are talking about reading text, and responding to posts... that's not something that would require a native app.

For example, I have the native facebook web app instaled on my phone, but I still use the their mobile web app all the time. The only reason that i have the facebook app installed is so that I can update images to facebook from the camera app. So this is case where the native web app provides some extra functionality.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Sage User

20min and you could have both
Old 08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Sage Expert

Add another vote for tapatalk! Looks cool and I don't see why it shouldn't be installed.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
I just don't think a paid app should be the only option.
While I am not sure for the other platforms, there is a FREE version of Tapatalk for Android...

-Jason
Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
While I am not sure for the other platforms, there is a FREE version of Tapatalk for Android...

-Jason
For browsing only. You have to have the paid version to reply to topics. It is a great way to "try out" the app, but no one is going to use the free version as their primary method.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 08-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

+1 for adding Tapatalk support.

Ever since I got an android phone, I have been using it and love the ease of use. So much better than a mobile web browser.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Sage Icon

Usually the SageTV folks are on top of things like this, so hopefully they will get around to implementing a mobile solution for the forum. I think they should do both Tapatalk and the mobile theme as suggested on post #12. Tapatalk allows you to do more, while the mobile theme is limiting, such as not able to upload images. But at least with the mobile theme, you can view the forum in mobile format that is easier to navigate.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
Add another vote for tapatalk! Looks cool and I don't see why it shouldn't be installed.
I can think of a very good reason (although I'm sure Ill get stomped for saying it). Installing it and users installing and PAYING for the client adds another yes vote for the camp of the compartmentalized, segregated, pay for everything, need and app for that, dumbed down internet that we should know better than to support. It's ridiculous to need a separate program to do every single thing one wants to do on the internet. Want to get the best cnn? download the CNN app. Want to update facebook, download the facebook app. BAHHHH. Doesn't anyone remember html? Browsers? One program to reach the whole internet? It's a newsgroup, it's text. It's what a browser DOES, for heaven's sake. No need for a dang plugin!

(ok, Im done. flame away)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Tapatalk is far better than just a 'mobile version of the forums'. I use it often on my droid for other forums, and it is in a lot of ways easier to use than sitting at my desktop.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Tapatalk is far better than just a 'mobile version of the forums'. I use it often on my droid for other forums, and it is in a lot of ways easier to use than sitting at my desktop.
Im sure it's obvious I've never used it. For my own education, what exactly does it do that couldn't be accomplished by today's mobile web browsers?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Sage Icon

It does (mostly) the same thing, it just has a different layout/view of forums that is ore (in my opinion) iphone screen friendly (see screen shots in first post).

If this forum had a more mobile friendly CSS/html option, TapaTalk might not be necessary (compare, for example, the different layouts / html of the mobile web server for SageTV versus the "plain" web server -- I've never used the latter on my iPhone).
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Here Here ! +1 vote for tapatalk

Much easier and way better on mobi

2xhd300
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_l View Post
Doesn't anyone remember html? Browsers? One program to reach the whole internet? It's a newsgroup, it's text. It's what a browser DOES, for heaven's sake. No need for a dang plugin!

(ok, Im done. flame away)
Not to throw stones, but... Can you show me a small screen optimized version for this forum... in ANY format?

Browser... Tapatalk... I'll take any version where I don't have to squint or constantly 'zoom' in to see what is going on...

"No need for a dang plugin?"... Huh?

-Jason
Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Not to throw stones, but... Can you show me a small screen optimized version for this forum... in ANY format?

Browser... Tapatalk... I'll take any version where I don't have to squint or constantly 'zoom' in to see what is going on...

"No need for a dang plugin?"... Huh?

-Jason
I thnk if vbulletin was smart they'd write their own iphone/android native client and plugin, because apparently people WILL pay money to view a web page a native app. This could be a real money maker for them since they could sell both the native app and the server plugin license. Of course to be fair I think they should still give away a free app that will allow you to browse the forum (other than a web browser).
Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I messaged Andy (Opus4) about 3 months ago about implementing Tapatalk, but he never replied.

I also gave him the alternative which is a mobile theme for vBulletin: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174375

I think the tapatalk app is more flexible as you can do more, but either solution will enhance the forum browsing experience on a mobile device.

Here is the updated version of the vbulletin style for mobile devices that was JUST released and looks fairly decent...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249277
Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Sage Icon

To view the demo site: http://vbdev.org/forum.php?styleid=2

Now I realize I'm not actually viewing the demo site via my iPhone so never mind!
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2

Last edited by darcilicious; 08-27-2010 at 05:04 PM.