SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Sage User

Stereo Audio Only?

I am new to SageTV (version 7) and to this forum (hello!), and I really could use some help.

I have the software running on a Windows 7 64-bit machine with an ATI 4600 Series video card. It is working well, for the most part, but I noticed that I never get anything other than stereo PCM sound from the TV shows that I record. I'm using the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 to record terrestrial ATSC broadcasts. I just connected the HDMI output of the video card to my AV receiver.

The only thing that I saw in setup that seemed to be related was "Audio Renderer". Here are the choices that are shown:

Remote Audio
CyberLink Audio Renderer (PDVD7.x)
Default DirectSound Device
Default WaveOutput Device
DirectSound: Remote Audio

It is currently configured for "Default".

The Asus motherboard has onboard Realtek HD Audio, but I have no idea how that relates to SageTV.

Can any of you guys help me get 5.1 audio?

Thanks,
-Mark
Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Do you get any audio out of the HDMI cable?

Do you get anything other than stereo from other components that hook into your receiver?

It is quite possible that it is something to do with the ATI card. You need to make sure that you enable the Audio circuit on the video card, and disable the one on the motherboard. There were some graphics cards that streamed the audio from the motherboard through the graphics cards (nVidia I think), but not the ATI's.

The ATI 4600 has a built in audio chip (or maybe it's on the board). The HDMI is version 1.3. I have heard that there are some issues with the handshake between ATI cards and some receivers that prevent it from recognizing that the protected audion path (PAP) is valid and thus limits it to only stereo instead of 5.1 or 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

you have windows 7 so you shouldn't have to download any drivers...you would if you had WinXP.
Hauppauge Quad
AMD A6-3500; 8 GB RAM
Gigabyte A75-UD4H MOBO
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Receiving Free Over-the-Air HDTV in Sunny San Diego
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedly View Post
Do you get any audio out of the HDMI cable?
Yes...HDMI is the only connection that I have between the HTPC and the receiver, so the stereo audio that I have been getting is via HDMI.

Quote:
Do you get anything other than stereo from other components that hook into your receiver?
Yes, it works fine with all of my other source components.

Quote:
It is quite possible that it is something to do with the ATI card. You need to make sure that you enable the Audio circuit on the video card, and disable the one on the motherboard. There were some graphics cards that streamed the audio from the motherboard through the graphics cards (nVidia I think), but not the ATI's.
Well, I'm pretty computer savvy, but I don't know how to "enable the Audio circuit on the video card". For that matter, I don't know how to disable it either. But then again, I am getting stereo audio via the HDMI port on the video card, so at some level, it is enabled.

Quote:
The ATI 4600 has a built in audio chip (or maybe it's on the board). The HDMI is version 1.3. I have heard that there are some issues with the handshake between ATI cards and some receivers that prevent it from recognizing that the protected audion path (PAP) is valid and thus limits it to only stereo instead of 5.1 or 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.
Well, that would be a shame...is there some way to verify or test for that problem and/or update the firmware?

Quote:
you have windows 7 so you shouldn't have to download any drivers...you would if you had WinXP.
Hummm. Well, for what it's worth, I installed the latest ATI software from AMD and that changed some things. I am now getting multi-channel audio, although it's not exactly right. For example, I have an AC3 test video that used to produce only two channel audio, with a functional subwoofer track. Since the driver updates, I get five channels where they should be, but the subwoofer track is now silent. It is very frustrating.

I will tell you this - if buying something as simple as a different video card would solve all of these problems, I would be happy enough to do that!

-Mark
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

So it seems that it is definitely in the computer.

To disable the motherboard's audio circuit, it's probably in the bios. You defitely don't want to disable the video card's audio capability.

Not sure if a different video card will solve it because they would probably have the same nuances.

Installing the latest driver is probaly a step in the right direction. Since it is likely a hardware issue, you may have to try a different forum. AVS Forum [I hope an admin doesn't remove the name of the forum] has a lot of information about the different video cards and how to get them working. Do a search on ATI video cards.

You'll know if the sound card is installed properly by checking the hardware manager. I actually don't have one of these series cards in my computer but have researched it extensively as I prepare for a new HTPC build. There is probably something in the driver for the audio setup.

It could still be the handshake. I have read that the Onkyo receivers have had issues with ATI cards...not sure whose fault it is though.
Hauppauge Quad
AMD A6-3500; 8 GB RAM
Gigabyte A75-UD4H MOBO
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Sage User

Quote:
So it seems that it is definitely in the computer.

To disable the motherboard's audio circuit, it's probably in the bios. You defitely don't want to disable the video card's audio capability.
I was pretty sure that no on-board video was enabled, but I checked it last night just to be sure, and I can now confirm that on-board video is not enabled.

Quote:
Not sure if a different video card will solve it because they would probably have the same nuances.

Installing the latest driver is probaly a step in the right direction. Since it is likely a hardware issue, you may have to try a different forum. AVS Forum [I hope an admin doesn't remove the name of the forum] has a lot of information about the different video cards and how to get them working. Do a search on ATI video cards.
Oh believe me, I've spent a lot of time in that forum over the years. I already have some threads going over there, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of SageTV-specific expertise over there, and I'm not convinced that SageTV is not contributing to the problem.

Quote:
You'll know if the sound card is installed properly by checking the hardware manager. I actually don't have one of these series cards in my computer but have researched it extensively as I prepare for a new HTPC build. There is probably something in the driver for the audio setup.
Well, if you are speaking of Device Manager, the hardware shows to be working properly. As for drivers and setup, I'm sure you're right - there is almost certainly a problem there, so I need a way to identify the problem. Hopefully a software tool or some kind of comprehensive go-by.

Quote:
It could still be the handshake. I have read that the Onkyo receivers have had issues with ATI cards...not sure whose fault it is though.
I have a Denon 4308ci receiver, so hopefully i won't have to deal with any HDMI/HDCP handshake issues!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you showing an HDMI audio device in the Playback Devices section in windows Sound control panel? You should have an 'ATI HDMI Output' listed there, and you should select it as the default. You should then be able to either set sagetv to use 'Default' as the audio renderer, or you can specify 'ATI HDMI Output' as the Audio Renderer. If you aren't showing the ATI HDMI Output in the windows, then this is a driver issue, and you need to make sure you've got the ATI drivers installed.

I noticed in another thread you were talking about RDP connections. If you are RDP'ing into the server, and trying to run sagetv there in that remote session, it probably won't see the local HDMI audio connection. This is the way RDP functions, as it only presents the 'Remote Audio' device in that session, so that sound is routed to you at the local terminal. This Remote Audio device is indeed stereo only. If you are trying to use sagetv as viewed from, say, your general purpose desktop, while running SageTV on a headless server, RDP is not going to work, and you'll have to use either SageTVPlaceshifter, or SageTVClient (client would be preferred for local in-LAN use, as performance is FAR better).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Are you showing an HDMI audio device in the Playback Devices section in windows Sound control panel?
Normally, yes, but I noticed just today that SageTV and/or Windows seem to show that HDMI connection as "disconnected" at certain times. I can make it work again by disconnecting and then reconnecting the HDMI cable, or by rebooting the PC, but I don't really understand why it requires either of these actions. It is almost as if, when SageTV is running, that the HDMI handshake is not occurring as it should.

Quote:
You should have an 'ATI HDMI Output' listed there, and you should select it as the default. You should then be able to either set sagetv to use 'Default' as the audio renderer, or you can specify 'ATI HDMI Output' as the Audio Renderer. If you aren't showing the ATI HDMI Output in the windows, then this is a driver issue, and you need to make sure you've got the ATI drivers installed.
Yes, that's how it's set...it just doesn't always work. And even when it does work, the surround output is not as expected.

Quote:
I noticed in another thread you were talking about RDP connections. If you are RDP'ing into the server, and trying to run sagetv there in that remote session, it probably won't see the local HDMI audio connection. This is the way RDP functions, as it only presents the 'Remote Audio' device in that session, so that sound is routed to you at the local terminal. This Remote Audio device is indeed stereo only. If you are trying to use sagetv as viewed from, say, your general purpose desktop, while running SageTV on a headless server, RDP is not going to work, and you'll have to use either SageTVPlaceshifter, or SageTVClient (client would be preferred for local in-LAN use, as performance is FAR better).
I use remote desktop for all sorts of things...checking the backups, administering our SQL databases...stuff like that, but I understand that SageTV's output would be limited while in an RD session...although I can confirm that it does actually work. I also understand that SageTV and/or Windows won't show all of the local settings from an RD session, and that is to be expected. What I did not expect was that SageTV and/or Windows would not return to the previously configured settings when I run Windows locally.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

MrMark, it sounds like the hand shake issue if it is dropping the HDMI connection. What brand of receiver are you using and has any searching on other forums yielded anyone else with the same problem?

It doesn't sound like a sage issue because sage just rides on top really.
Hauppauge Quad
AMD A6-3500; 8 GB RAM
Gigabyte A75-UD4H MOBO
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
MrMark, it sounds like the hand shake issue if it is dropping the HDMI connection. What brand of receiver are you using and has any searching on other forums yielded anyone else with the same problem?

It doesn't sound like a sage issue because sage just rides on top really.
I have a Denon AVR-4308ci receiver. I have searched around, but apparently there are not all that many people talking about connecting it to an ATI 4600 series graphics card. For what it's worth, I've never had any handshake issues with any of my other source components.

I can't prove it, but I still feel that SageTV is in the mix because so far, the handshake problem only happens when I leave the SageTV window open while the rest of the system is powered down. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but I haven't seen it yet.

-Mark