SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Show name contains year

After the latest update to BMT it appears that when I search for metadata for my Merlin episodes using thetvdb.com the episode name comes back as "Merlin (2008)".

Before the upgrade the title would always come back simply as "Merlin". Is this a bug or a feature?

Thanks so much for BMT, don't know what I'd do without it!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Sage Icon

I've noticed the same thing.

John
Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
I've noticed the same thing.

John
Well, according to tvdb, merlin has several years. BMT simply pulls back whatever tvdb sends it. For IMDB, I remove the year from the title, but I don't for tvdb. So the question is, do you want bmt to strip the year from tvdb titles as well?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I would say yes. Because the drawback if you don't is when you group by Title each one is grouped by the title and the year. So the series doesn't end up in one folder.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I would say yes. Because the drawback if you don't is when you group by Title each one is grouped by the title and the year. So the series doesn't end up in one folder.

Gerry
Ok, i've added an issue, so that I don't forget. I'm hoping to put out a release this weekend, so hopefully I can squeeze that in there as well.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Sage Icon

Ahh...but I think tvdb when it uses years has the same year for the series.
I always thought they did it to differentiate between Series of the same name.

ie Original BSG and the SyFy remake.
Doctor Who and Doctor Who (2005)
I could be wrong.

IF tvdb does use the same year designation for the complete series, I would say not to strip it, otherwise you would end up grouping different series together?

Similiar to the US vs UK designations.

ie. Life on Mars, The Office, etc
Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Sage Icon

Hey Stuckless,

Did you manage to get this fix in your latest release?

I had a few shows tonight with the year in the title that didn't group with the rest (no year in title).

Thanks for all your work on this.

Jeremy
Old 12-15-2010, 02:39 AM
SageTVaholic

I think it DOES make sense to have the year int he title, for the specific instances that tvdb includes it. This is, as stated, when there are multiple series with the same name. Examples:
Merlin (1979):

Merlin (1998):

Merlin (2008):

In theory, it's best to always include the year, so if you DO have recordings from two different series, it, one, doesn't combine them into the same episode list, and two, shows the right fanart. This gets even more complicated since there are also a couple different movies also named "Merlin".

I'm more concerned with a way to keep different shows like Top Gear and The Office, which have completely different UK and US versions separate (or, more importantly, have BMT accurately detect which is which).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I think it DOES make sense to have the year int he title, for the specific instances that tvdb includes it.
But by the same token I would know all my Merlin recordings are in one folder without the year in the name and then have them sorted by original air date. So with 3 different years for Merlin do they all have a Season 1?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 AM
SageTVaholic

That's not how the tvdb date works. The three seasons of the current Merlin run would all be displayed as Merlin (2008), seasons 1, 2, and 3 (so far). They are not seen as Merlin (2008) Season 1, Merlin (2009) Season 1, and Merlin (2010) Season 1. If you have items that are showing in a different 'Merlin' group, then they most likely haven't been scanned by BMT since the year was included, so they still show as just 'Merlin'.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Here's what I thinking... To make make everyone happy I'll add an option in the tvdb configuration to strip titles from the years. (I have code that does this now, since i do it for imdb). That way, people that want the year... will get the year... and people that don't want the year... well, they can have that too

As for timing... I've had to cancel my christmas holidays due to a project that I'm working on at work (ie, i need to get it done before the new year).... so I can't say when this will get resolved
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Here's what I thinking... To make make everyone happy I'll add an option in the tvdb configuration to strip titles from the years. (I have code that does this now, since i do it for imdb). That way, people that want the year... will get the year... and people that don't want the year... well, they can have that too
That will work.

Gerry
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That's not how the tvdb date works. The three seasons of the current Merlin run would all be displayed as Merlin (2008), seasons 1, 2, and 3 (so far). They are not seen as Merlin (2008) Season 1, Merlin (2009) Season 1, and Merlin (2010) Season 1. If you have items that are showing in a different 'Merlin' group, then they most likely haven't been scanned by BMT since the year was included, so they still show as just 'Merlin'.
How you explained that it should work makes perfect sense and I would have no problem with this, but what I am seeing in Sagetv (Diamond Recording Mod's turned off) is not the above behaviour...

I have a recording of the Mentalist that shows at "The Mentalist (2010)" and using the above naming scheme I would have expected that it would be "The Mentalist (2008)" with Season 3 Episode 10 metadata... I see the correct Season and Episode but shouldn't the year in the title be "(2008)"?

Thanks,

J
Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
How you explained that it should work makes perfect sense and I would have no problem with this, but what I am seeing in Sagetv (Diamond Recording Mod's turned off) is not the above behaviour...

I have a recording of the Mentalist that shows at "The Mentalist (2010)" and using the above naming scheme I would have expected that it would be "The Mentalist (2008)" with Season 3 Episode 10 metadata... I see the correct Season and Episode but shouldn't the year in the title be "(2008)"?

Thanks,

J
I'd wonder about where the Year came from in the first place... since BMT doesn't add years, and it looks as though the mentalist would not be a show, in tvdb, that has a year in it's title.

Something to keep in mind, as well, are are showing a specific episode in the diamond theme, and you are comparing that to the series info from the tvdb. Each media file has a "YEAR" field that hold the year the the mediafile, not the year for the series info. If you want the year for the series, then you'd need to get the series info, and read the YEAR form its metadata.

So, in your diamond theme, what apis are you using to show the titles? Is it manually joining the Title and Year from the Mediafile metadata, if so, then I'd expect to see the current year that the episode was recorded in, and not the series info year.

When you look at the metadata for that item in the web ui, what does it show, for the title field, year field, etc.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So, in your diamond theme, what apis are you using to show the titles? Is it manually joining the Title and Year from the Mediafile metadata, if so, then I'd expect to see the current year that the episode was recorded in, and not the series info year.

When you look at the metadata for that item in the web ui, what does it show, for the title field, year field, etc.
No I am not joining to fields in diamond anywhere. I have noticed this too on occasion from a show or two. It actually shows the year in the title field even in the bmt web ui. The year is actually in the airing title as per that example not the episode field.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think it is better to have the year in there of the issue with like Merlin/Doctor Who/Knight Rider/ ect. Cant belvie anyone would not want it other then when there is no other show i guesses would make sense

Also would there be a way mabye just to add the option to type in the IDcode of the TVdb.com. which would also fix this issue ?

Thanks for all you Do i cant imagein where we would be with out BMT
2-HD200, Win7pro64bit,AMD Athlon II X4 quad620 / 2.60GHz,4gb Memory Speed MHz: 800,320hd for os, scsi 80gb recording+comcerial cutting then transfered to 2tb for tv and movies. 1 HDHR 2x250 nas for other media and a small whs server for backup only
Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
No I am not joining to fields in diamond anywhere. I have noticed this too on occasion from a show or two. It actually shows the year in the title field even in the bmt web ui. The year is actually in the airing title as per that example not the episode field.
OK, well, then it sounds like that this isn't a metadata issue. BMT is not pulling down the data with a year... so, in this particular case, there is nothing that I can do in BMT. If tvdb has a title in the year, then I can optionally pull it out. If overwrite recording metadata is enabled, then bmt would replace the airing title from the epg with the one from tvdb.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Sage Icon

I noticed the following last night, a recording starts and I see it grouped with the other "Conan" recordings, when the recording completes the title seems to change to "Conan (2010)" and then is not included in the grouping. Is this happening when BMT is getting the metadata at the end when the recording is complete?

I've seen this happen a couple times lately where during the recording it is part if the correct grouping with the non year appended title then when it completes recording it changes to have the year appended to the title and isn't grouped any more...

Any suggestions or ideas on where I should look to find the cause if we don't think it's BMT doing it???

Thanks,

J
Old 12-15-2010, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
I noticed the following last night, a recording starts and I see it grouped with the other "Conan" recordings, when the recording completes the title seems to change to "Conan (2010)" and then is not included in the grouping. Is this happening when BMT is getting the metadata at the end when the recording is complete?

I've seen this happen a couple times lately where during the recording it is part if the correct grouping with the non year appended title then when it completes recording it changes to have the year appended to the title and isn't grouped any more...

Any suggestions or ideas on where I should look to find the cause if we don't think it's BMT doing it???

Thanks,

J
Since bmt isn't changing the title, it could be a side effect of bmt setting the year. Which API are you calling to get the Title that you are showing. I can try to run some tests to see if i can mimic the behaviour.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Since bmt isn't changing the title, it could be a side effect of bmt setting the year. Which API are you calling to get the Title that you are showing. I can try to run some tests to see if i can mimic the behaviour.
I see this with the Default STV 7.0.23.1 and have included some shots of a show with the year in the title (Sagetv Recordings/BMT Data) and a shot of an older show without the year in the title (Sagetv Recordings/BMT Data) and also a shot of the STV where the "(year)" is being added in the title in the recording listing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8067076/Diam...earinTitle.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8067076/Diam...earinTitle.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8067076/Diam...STVDetails.jpg

The older shows definitely don't have the details that the latest show has with the year and episode etc... so maybe this is correct???

Thanks,

Jeremy