SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Sage User

New HD300 - Hard Drives Don't Mount

I have an HD200 that I've been using as a standalone Media Player. I have recently purchased an HD300 to replace it.

After plugging it in and doing the initial configuration, the hard drives that I had used on the HD200 with no issues do not mount. When I go into the "File Browser" it does not show. I have an HP drive formatted with NTFS (A/C powered) as well as a Seagate FreeAgent GO drive formatted on a Macintosh. Like I said, BOTH of these worked on the HD200, but no love on the HD300. Just for kicks, I plugged in my flash drive and it DID mount on the HD300.

Anyone else having this problem? Solutions?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Sage User

I'm having the same problem. I have an HD200 that can view and browse a Seagate FreeAgent 1TB (with AC power). The new HD300 recognizes the drive and asks if I would like to browse it but shows it as empty when I do. I also tried a Maxtor Onetouch 750GB (AC powered) and it did the same thing. Both are formatted NTFS. The HD300 does recognize my 8GB USB thumb drive and can browse and play files from it but it is probably FAT32.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had the exact same issue with two WD external 1.5TB USB NTFS drives. Worked fine on HD200, but HD300 would see the drive and ask if I wanted to use it, then it would never appear in the file browser. In the end, reformatting the drives fixed the issue. Both working just fine since reformatting NTFS again with 4k sectors or clusters or whatever that was. These were originally formatted with 64K for SageTV6 last year. Perhaps that played a roll.

Bobby
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Sage User

I had the same issue this past week when visiting my folks. All the machines at my folks' place are Windows XP machines. Connecting the external hard drive to the Win XP machines mounted without complaint, and I was able to copy files to and from the HD. However, it would not mount on the HD300. When I got home, I hooked the HD up to my Windows 7 machine, and it came up with some message about the hard drive having issues and asked if I wanted to scan the HD and correct any issues it found. I chose YES, and then I hooked the HD up to the HD300. To my surprise, the HD mounted just fine to the HD300 and I was able to stream a Blu-Ray movie. I don't know what it is that Windows 7 saw, or why Windows XP didn't see it, but once Windows 7 did it's magic, connecting to the HD300 worked great!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
Both working just fine since reformatting NTFS again with 4k sectors or clusters or whatever that was. These were originally formatted with 64K for SageTV6 last year. Perhaps that played a roll.

Bobby
My Seagate is formatted 64k when I was testing SageTV6 as well, so that may be the problem. Not sure about the other drive, but it is probably quick formatted NTFS, default. I'll try reformatting when I have a chance to offload everything to another drive.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Sage User

I updated the firmware on the HD300 and it resolved the issue.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 PM

I just got a new HD 300 and have run into the same problem. I've got several USB drives from various manufacturers formatted with different sized blocks that all worked with the HD 200, but don't even show up on the HD 300. My FAT 32 formatted thumb drive showed up, but that's it. I've tried the update, but no joy. Has anyone come across any other solution? This is the main reason I purchased the 300!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

I stated above that I fixed it with reformatting.... But I have since corrected another drive (having same issue) by running a full disc check under XP (ntfs drive). I know little about software and drivers, but it seems that the linux on board the HD300 is more particular about ntfs presented to it than windows. You would think it would be the other way around!

Bobby
Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Sage User

When I sent an email to Sage Support, they responded by asking me to go to the system update page and then press 2382 (BETA) on the keypad. The display then changed to something like "Update BETA firmware xxxxxxx". After I did that fix, it all worked fine. I just forgot to report that back here. Now there has recently been a regular update, so I'm not sure if that does the trick or not.

Good luck
Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks, BobbyDing & DBGaither, I tried the update and also the full disk check, but I get the same results. I can use my HD 200 with one particular drive (which only has SageTV recordings on it), but it's completely invisible with the HD300. I think I will return the HD300 and try to find an NTFS friendly media player.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Sage User

I've got the HD300 in stand alone mode and I'm suddenly getting the same issue...again, it "sees" all the files and folders on my ReadyNas NV+ but won't access them, it'll say either "empty" for the folder, and something to the effect of "files no longer there" if I try to play a file.
The only thing it will play is music files via UPNP using folder menu not the units' music gui.

I had a problem with my NAS before, (the last time HD300 stopped working) and completely re-formatted it and reloaded all my media, I tested the Sage at various intervals while I was ripping discs and it always worked. I had a problem very recently where the NAS couldn't be accessed by my ripping program and I did a re-start - no errors, everything was fine ripping program could access & read & write files but the HD300 started the behaviour mentioned above.

Nothing has changed in the NAS, all settings were maintained and it's a wired network. I'm not going to re-do my NAS again. If I can't get this thing to work it's going in the garbage.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:56 PM

I went through the same thing as DBGAITHER (doing the BETA update), and that was it, the HD 300 was working fine, recognizing my external NTFS usb drives quicker than my HD 200.

Tags
extender, hard drive, hd300, usb