SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK to string tv splitters/boosters together?

I am sure i read on a forum somewhere that putting chains of splitters / boosters together was a really bad idea.. even dangerous!??!

In my house i have 1 splitter in the loft serving tvs around the house... one tv/room is where i now have Sagetv setup.. plus a tv.... i wouldn't mind adding a splitter/booster to my already split once signal... so that i could have traditional tv and sage connected simultatneously...

Also some channels are on a border line tuning wise... i read on here somewhere that tv cards need a higher db in the signal to work compared to tv... my tv picture thru tv is generally perfect in this room.. the tv card struggles a little... I was wondering if a booster again could help, or is there a limit to the effectiveness of boosting.... !?!?

Cheers

Jim
Old 05-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

The thing with amplifiers is that they amplify the entire signal, so if you have noise in your signal from the first amp/splitter combination, a second amp will amplify that noise and potentially make your signal even worse than it is now. First, you need to have your amplified in the line before the splitters in your attic (unless it's an combination unit, then you're good). I'd first try getting a larger amplifier up there if possible (and get a good quality one too - not a radio shack model), then try to split your feed in the room again and see what happens. If that doesn't work as well as you want, then you can add a second amplifier in your room, but YMMV whether it will help or not.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

The current splitter is an amp splitter all in one... its an all white affair that I assume was brought from argos (UK) ... basically not particularly a good one.. I wouldn't know where to look for a good one though.. any manufacturers/prices that are classed as "good" ... thing is if you give me US prices it probably wont be that relevant but it will be a little useful Thanks
Old 05-16-2003, 06:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

In the US, Channel Master and Eagle Aspen are considered good. I can't give you prices off the top of my head, but they are considered better than the cheaper ones because they introduce less noise into the signal with the amplification than the cheaper ones do.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

thanks.. I will have a look.. I'll find a UK forum to ask if anyone knows any too...

you never mentioned if you knew of any actual problems other than signal degradation in having chains of them... there is no reason why it would be electrically dangerous!? potential fire hazard etc.!?!?
Old 05-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Sage Fanatic

I've never heard the multiple amplifiers being a potential fire hazard before. But that certainly doesn't mean anything one way or the other. I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but anything's possible I guess.