SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Sage Icon

Home automation

I'm dipping my toes into the home automation world this summer and am interested in what others who have gone here before think.

This is a retrofit as the house is already built. It is entirely DIY. As such I am looking Z-wave devices and want to do a Main Controller, a thermostat and a front door lock as the 'groundbreaking' of this multi-year project.

For the lock I like this Kwikset lock. It doesn't have a true 10 button keypad so the possible combonations is much lower then its Schlage competitor but it has remote locking and works with any gateway for remote access. The Schlage appears to work only with it's own gateway and subscription service for remote access.

The thermostat was harder to pick. I wanted it to be able to switch modes from cooling to heating on it's own depending on the delta between the actual temp and the desired temp. Last night I found this one and it does what I want plus has the ability to use remote temp sensors as well. Remote temp sensors do require running wire though.

The hardest choice I have to make now is the controller. I can choose a hardware "black box" controller or a software app that could run on the same server box as Sage. The HW controllers run from this $250 box to $2000 boxes. I'm leaning toward a SW app such as this or this but I really don't have enough knowledge to make a proper choice.

S
Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Sage Icon

As far as software goes, you could look into Control 4, CQC, HomeSeer, MainLobby and a few others... You might need to go through a few iterations to find some hardware/software configuration that matches your needs...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 05-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
The thermostat was harder to pick. I wanted it to be able to switch modes from cooling to heating on it's own depending on the delta between the actual temp and the desired temp. Last night I found this one and it does what I want plus has the ability to use remote temp sensors as well. Remote temp sensors do require running wire though.
I have this trane and really like it. Zwave, but requires a C wire for power. There is also a battery powered unit that doesn't require a C wire.

These work with Homeseer (and i'd think any zwave controller).
Old 05-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Sage Icon

I like the look of Control 4 but it is not DIY. You must go through an authorized dealer and pay exorbitant fees for a professional install that I could do for free in my sleep. Speaking of which, I just got off the phone with Kwikset; all I wanted was a matching handleset for their Z-wave deadbolt. Instead of giving me the answer the first thing out of the reps mouth was "You can't buy one of those without hiring an approved installer." When I told him they are available through Amazon and every home automation website on the internet he said "Well, they're not supposed to be selling them. You have to go through an authorized dealer who will send out an installer."

I'll put Homeseer on the list but CQC is too expensive and comprehensive for my needs at the moment. Last time I looked MainLobby was primarily home theater automation rather than whole home.

Matt,

Does that Trane automatically switch between heat and cooling? There are time in the year where it gets quite chilly at night while we're sleeping but warms up enough during the day to require A/C. Manual and even most all of the programmable thermos require that someone manually make that switch.

Thanks both for your replies,

S
Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 AM
Sage Icon

yes, the trane will switch. you can have "heat", "cool", "auto", or "aux". The aux is for a heat pump, i think. Auto turns on the appropriate mode based upon the set point.

The manual and install guide are linked from the store page i posted earlier.

Matt
Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

I’ve been using HomeSeer for about 15 years… This last year I stated to look at other offerings because of the pig headedness of one of the owners but in honesty I could not find anything which would work as well and have the options HomeSeer 2 does. One of my beefs with HomeSeer management is the cost which over quadrupled ($40 - $225) with very little if any real sustenance being added to the core of the software, but of course it was a “complete rewrite of the software” thus warranting the in software cost... The real power comes not from the software but from the plug ins. But it will do Z-Wave out of the box and it does keep the legacy X10 protocol. I like the Z-Wave for the reliability and X10 for the utility and very low cost. Both protocols will integrate into an existing home with very little modification, maybe a phase coupler/ amplifier /noise filter for X10. One of the good things about HomeSeer is its openness for developers much like SageTV however every “plug in” will cost about $40 and most of them do not have a trial nor can you get money refunded if the plug in will not work as you expect it to.

I have to be honest about the thermostat thing – I purchased and returned 6 different thermostats (all Z-Wave) trying to get one to work with HomeSeer and for remote control via the Internet. I never found one to work satisfactory or consistently. I settled on a Trane 9000 series which can be controlled via the Internet but it does not integrate into HomeSeer. I never really cared for the way any thermostat was controlled from or status displayed in HomeSeer, events or scripting was necessary so I just relied on the thermostat internal programming. I use web access to turn off/on, setback or switch heat/air when we are going or returning home or in case I forget to set it back before leaving.

I’ve not even looked at door lock sets…

Watch their board and get on their mailing list – the do periodically (usually around a major holiday) have the software for about half of the retail price.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandon View Post
Watch their board and get on their mailing list – the do periodically (usually around a major holiday) have the software for about half of the retail price.
Including through tomorrow, I think.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm getting into this myself and I was originally thinking about homeseer but they seems to nickle and dime you for everything. I've been looking at micasaverde's vera 2. So far that's high on my list as a controller.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Lutron has a thermostat that goes with Radio RA2 system. Pretty cheap considering all it does. I plan to grab some dimmers for my theater room then let Eventghost control them to do specific things when I choose activities in sage. Can't wait to get it finished, but that is low on the priority list.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Sage Icon

It seems to me that the choice on control system is easily the most important decision to make and it has to be made at the beginning. So I gues the first most important question is hardware controller or SW controller. How about a discussion of the benefits/restrictions of each?

S
Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am just starting into the Insteon product line (Smarthome.com in USA and Aartech.ca in Canada). Started with a simple SmartLinc controller but after a month I have replaced it with a 'smarter' ISY99i controller. It is quite a nice little self contained unit (no need for another computer running) and has quite a complex little programming language. Looks to me like just about anything could be programmed with the right time/knowledge. There is a strong community that looks to be very helpful to new users as well as advanced programmers. http://forum.universal-devices.com/
The Insteon line has Switches, Dimmers, Outlets, In-Line modules, Plug-in modules, Venstar Thermostats, and can control Morning Industry locksets.
There are interfaces available for iPhone and iPad and probably others.
I have about 26 devices so far hooked up and I am just beginning to learn of all the possibilities!
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT