SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Inconsistent Titles

I've been seeing some inconsistencies in the way that my imported videos are imported and appear in my video folders. I am not sure if this is something that BMT is setting up (I have it set to auto-fetch on system scan) when fetching the metadata, or something that SageTV (v 7) is doing to me, but it's driving me nuts.

When I drop some newly downloaded videos into one of my folders and run a scan, BMT will get the metadata and display it sometimes with the series title followed by the season and episode - Hawaii Five-O (S01E01) and sometimes as the title only followed by the season and episode - Pilot - S01E01. Sometimes it will also display the series, title and s/e - Hawaii Five-O - Pilot (S01E01).

It gets frustrating because if I want to have one folder for "miscellaneous" shows that perhaps I don't want to create a folder for, most often it will only display the title. This gets confusing because I have two episodes of Amazing Race and the only titles showing in Sage is "Leg 1" and "Leg 2". As you can imagine, if this is in the "MISC" folder, who knows what it is?

If, however, the episode displays as "Hawaii Five-O - Pilot (S01E01)" and I go into OPTIONS and do a manual BMT fetch, the title gets changed to "Pilot (S01E01)".

Is there some setting that I am missing that I could FORCE BMT to always use one format (for example - ALWAYS display it as the SHOW - TITLE - SSEE ?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Sage Icon

IMO, you’d be better off segregating the physical media that you have stored into separate folders and seasons. It will be easier for you in the long run. If you have folders for each of your series and then folders for each of the seasons underneath that then you more quickly apply edits in BMT in batch. Rather than writing some long PQL statement to pull out an individual series in a large commingled single folder. I’d use a renaming program too, http://www.therenamer.com/ , to ensure that your files have consistency with TVDB. If you do all the above BMT will almost always scrape the correct metadata.

For times that it doesn’t or you want to force a specific filename you can use the matcher/mediatitles.xml file to use regular expressions to get what you want. That’s a little more advanced but not too bad. The manual has steps for editing mediatitles. I plan to make a video about this but time is short right now. I have to complete one on TV naming first.

BTW, if you move the imports to their respective folders and season folders, something like:

Code:
\\MyServer\SageTV Video\Imported TV\Hawaii Five-0\Season 01\Hawaii Five-0 S01E01 Pilot.mkv
Be sure to back up wiz.bin first. You’ll also have to do some sort of watched audit because you’ll lose your watched status on all the files you rearrange. It’s not hard to go through and set watched, but you’ll want to jot down where you left off in all the affected series or you’ll be sorry
Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I do use a renaming (tvrename) program, but only for my regular shows, not the stray ones that I download and don't really want to create a new folder for each. I did just recall, however, that I had the Custom Video Folder (CVF) plugin installed, and it has switches for including names and titles in the filename. That looked like it gave me what I wanted, but then I upgraded BMT and Phoenix today to the newest versions and now all of my shows have gone to sh*t.

All of the shows (ALL OF THEM) are now showing the Series and the episode - Hawaii Five-O (S01E01). No titles, but the metadata and episode name are now only viewable inside the "video info" screen.

Time to start reading up more on BMT and the changes that Stuckless has been making. It's been a long time since I've dug into BMT.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by can3gxw View Post
I do use a renaming (tvrename) program, but only for my regular shows, not the stray ones that I download and don't really want to create a new folder for each. I did just recall, however, that I had the Custom Video Folder (CVF) plugin installed, and it has switches for including names and titles in the filename. That looked like it gave me what I wanted, but then I upgraded BMT and Phoenix today to the newest versions and now all of my shows have gone to sh*t.

All of the shows (ALL OF THEM) are now showing the Series and the episode - Hawaii Five-O (S01E01). No titles, but the metadata and episode name are now only viewable inside the "video info" screen.

Time to start reading up more on BMT and the changes that Stuckless has been making. It's been a long time since I've dug into BMT.
I'll save you some time... bmt does not format titles. If you are seeing S##E## in the titles then it's not bmt. BMT scrapes metadata into separate field, Title, EpisodeName, Season, Episode and it's up the UI to format that, NOT bmt.

So, before you start a massive rescan of 1000s of shows, just know, that bmt WILL NOT format the titles.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the insight, Sean. It's appreciated. I am just trying to make my video folders show the most "user friendly" show information. With the stock Sage7, it displays the whole filename. That's sort of fine if I've renamed it, but some times I don't if I've gotten a lot of stuff downloaded.

With CVF, it was looking OK but now with the newest Sage Beta and the BMT update (don't know what), I can't get anything to look right.

Maybe someone else can shed some insight on what THEY are using? What do their tv series / imported videos show? I want to leave them as videos and not TV, just because of the variety of videos that I have.

More testing... reverting back to the previous Sage install tomorrow... see what's happenin'.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by can3gxw View Post
Thanks for the insight, Sean. It's appreciated. I am just trying to make my video folders show the most "user friendly" show information. With the stock Sage7, it displays the whole filename. That's sort of fine if I've renamed it, but some times I don't if I've gotten a lot of stuff downloaded.

With CVF, it was looking OK but now with the newest Sage Beta and the BMT update (don't know what), I can't get anything to look right.

Maybe someone else can shed some insight on what THEY are using? What do their tv series / imported videos show? I want to leave them as videos and not TV, just because of the variety of videos that I have.

More testing... reverting back to the previous Sage install tomorrow... see what's happenin'.

Thanks!

OK... you should realize that the stock ui without any plugins will do a horrible job of displaying the metadata... and yeah, I now can fully see why you have inconsistent titles.

There appears to be a couple things happening. BMT downloads metadata and sets titles, etc. The problem is that the Title field is defined as storing the relative path of the media file plus the title. Now other UIs simply ignore this and use a propper title. Now if you fix the main Title to remove the relative paths (which you can do from the web ui Tools menu)
, recent versions of sagetv will, from time to time, re-import those files, and BMT WILL NOT handle them, and as a result the Title gets reverted back to Title with Relative path.

What you are experiencing is to be fully expected, if you are using the default stv without a fanart/metadata plugin that knows how the fully use the metadata.

In sagetv 7.1.8, your title issues should start getting better because SageTV made some changes to make the Title field more consistent, and I think it will even auto correct the field if it notices that the title does contain a relative path.