SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage User

Updated Capture list for Linux

I am in the market for a new capture card to add a 2nd tuner for my V7 under linux

Many capture cards listed in the hardware requirements (http://www.sage.tv/requirements.html?sageSub=tv) are discontinued and I have been burned to many times with used computer items.

Does anybody have a recommendation what internal or external USB capture card works best with Linux that is currently manufactured?

Also I see mixed results for people using a Hauppauge HD-PVR does it work?

Thanks

Last edited by birkey; 06-10-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 06-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkey View Post
I am in the market for a new capture card to add a 2nd tuner for my V7 under linux

Many capture cards listed in the hardware requirements (http://www.sage.tv/requirements.html?sageSub=tv) are discontinued and I have been burned to many times with used computer items.
s
The "hardware requirements" are ridiculous for capture cards and tuners, and should be mostly ignored. Linux presents a standard interface for digital and analog tuners and/or capture cards that use PCI / PCIe or USB interfaces. Assuming that the device has a working driver, chances are excellent that it will work with SageTV. There is a fairly up to date list of tuners at the linuxtv.org wiki. Make sure that the driver has support in your distro's kernel. There *are* some oddball devices, like the HD Homerun which don't use the Linux driver interface, and talk directly via network sockets with SageTV (and which work).

As to the HD-PVR ... I don't personally have one, but many others do, and I think they work fine at this point as long as you're using a fairly recent distro.

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVR works fine, mostly

My HD-PVRs now work fine, using the standard ubuntu distro, and almost trouble free.

The only issue they have is when switching to / from HD. When they go from an HD signal (channel) to a non-HD, or vice versa, they take enough time to sync that sage interprets it as failure, then comes back and re-tries a minute or two later. The result is that I am sometimes missing the first minute or two of a recorded show. When watching live tv, it can be quickly fixed by switching up or down a channel, then back and it will sync immediately.

Since I now rarely record non-HD shows, it's not much of a problem. Also, my units are a couple of years old. Maybe newer ones don't have this problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Sage User

Thanks

Should have my HD-PVR in a couple of days

Thanks