SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Sage User

Angry SageTV service won't start after upgrade

I just upgraded to 7.1.8 from 6.6.2 and now the service won't start. After I enable the service and try to start it I get a message that "the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner". Sage seems to work fine from the desktop however, I need the service. I've used Sage for years and many upgrades, so this shouldn't be user error. System info shows version 7.1.8 and SageTV Server: Enabled. Oddly a few lines later it shows Service Mode: Disabled. Don't know what that means. I,m using Vista with UAC but it doesn't matter if I run the service control as a regular user or Administrator. Emergency. I need to record tonight.

Last edited by tmalley; 06-12-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Sage Icon

It may be the credentials of the user starting the service. Change the service logon from system or network or whatever is the default to your custom admin user and password.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am having the exact same issue. Win7/64/Home. So it's not just tmalley.

Bobby
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hope you got this fixed in time, it might have been better to contact support directly.

I am running Win7 X64 Professional, had no issues with the upgrade... But I upgraded from 7.17 to 7.18, not from 6.X like you did. Are you trying to start the service from the SageTVServiceControl applet? Try starting it from 'services' (start, cntrl panel, admin tools, services).

Larry
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Sage Icon

Seems silly but did u try restarting windows? Reason I ask is because I have had it happen before during and upgrade where the sage service will spawn 2 processes which results in the message u were seeing...

Just something to try.

You could also take a look argue running processes in administrative tools of windows and see if the process is running currently and Also what user credentials are setup to run the process.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Sage User

Thanks but, I've tried to start it both ways. Same result. I get the message almost instantly. As far as credentials, which I know little about, it looks just the same as before the upgrade. I'm currently leaving sage running to get my recordings. However I missed one. Apparently the tuner took too long to tune. It seems the service is faster somehow or a higher priority. I upgraded the sage process priority to above normal and now it tunes ok. Oh, I have rebooted several times and also tried a reinstall. Anybody know how to delete the service and reinstall it?

Last edited by tmalley; 06-13-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Sage Icon

I'm pretty sure when u uninstall sage it will automatically uninstall the service.

What version of windows?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Sage Icon

Probably best at this point to backup, then do an uninstall, reboot, ensure the service is truly gone, ensure the SageTV directory is gone, and then install 7.1.x fresh.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Sage User

I just tried the uninstall again, rebooted, verified the service was gone and installed 7.1.8 again. Same results: "the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner". I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 SP1. I'm out of ideas.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Sage User

I doubt this applies to you, but I suppose it is worth checking out anyway... I know I have seen that error with the service appear (almost instantly, same as you are seeing) if I try to start it while the application version is already running. You might just check your task manager to make sure no sagetv.exe or sagetvservice.exe process is already running before trying to start the service.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had the same issue. Re installs always had failed service. It's working now though. Can't be sure what fixed it. But here's what I did:

Copied wiz.bin, wiz.bak, sage.properties (and its backup).Uninstalled SageTV. Rebooted. Checked Service, it was gone. But SAGETV directory was still there with many files in it. Renamed to SageTV_OLD. Did a new install, copied the the four files back in, rebooted and the service started fine even after several reboots. But then I noticed several plugins (notably the jetty and its dependents). Tried uninstalling all the plugins that failed to start and re installed them. But they continued to fail (*&^%$#@). So I uninstalled the new sage install (rebooting and checking again that service wasn't running), renamed SageTV_OLD back to SageTV and re installed yet again. This time it all came up clean. Restarted several times and the service always started fine. All my plugins were good and jetty loaded fine.

As I say, I'm not sure why this worked, but it did.

Hope that helps.

Bobby
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
...Tried uninstalling all the plugins that failed to start and re installed them. But they continued to fail...
You cannot copy Sage.properties from an old installation to a new one for exactly this reason. Sage.properties stores information about your installed plugins. If you copy it to a fresh installation where those plugins are not installed, you will create an inconsistent plugin state and you will be unable to uninstall or reinstall those plugins short of starting fresh with a new Sage.properties.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

I had the same problem when trying to start SageTV service after the beta update

I fixed mine by entering my SageTV registery key

I don't know why or how it happened but it seem to have forgotten my key and was trying to start a expired trial version

After I entered my registery key and service started up again I checked my settings ad recrdings that everthing are still intacted and same as before

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 07-18-2011, 04:21 PM

I also had this problem today when migrating my SageTV installation to a new PC, but on a trial version that was NOT expired (I just installed it today). As soon as I entered my license key, the service started right up.