SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks opus!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
What do you mean they "locked it down"?
Originally there was talk that with the appropriate linux Atom compilers native apps would be possible. Now it is only Boxee script style apps.

Martin
Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I think #1 is waaaay easier. Furthermore, I don't see the advantage of #2 - unless this device can render anything and everything the Sage extender devices can, including animations, etc. such that you can convert a Sage STV into something this device can render with the exact same results. If it's not a 1:1 conversion then it seems to me we'd be wasting a lot of time trying to accomplish 1:1 with very little return and a lot of frustration. Personally, my vision is strictly option #1. My view is a little skewed because I'm really only interested in function vs. appearance. I'm definitely more interested in finding a way to replace my HDx00 devices should they die with something functional (i.e. something that can view/edit schedules/favs/etc and play back media).

But since my initial look at the developer docs for this device suggests the UI code is separated completely from the python code, there's nothing stopping anyone from trying #2, but my personal focus on such a project would be to get something that allows me to do the basic functions (view/edit schedule/favs/etc.) and playback my media. The end goal being that I can replace my extender devices with these if/when the time comes. Assuming I can, then I now have a way to replace/add extenders and clients forever as long as the server package holds up, which I think it should for some time to come.
I agree. Duplicating the functionality would be very very difficult.

I'm going to start looking at this over the next few days. All I've done so far is write a small test app and make sure I could deploy it on both the Windows version of Boxee and the BB itself. I think what I'll look at next is writing some python to interact with the sagex remote api's to see if I can pass data back and forth.

If you want to have a go at it be my guest. I certainly know you have experience with script languages ( ) and I won't have any time until Friday.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

gentlemen - this is great news.. as i'm not a programmer i could only offer to buy a boxee and help testing..

Clients: 3 x MediaMVP, 2 x HD-300, 4 x SageTV Client

Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Sage Icon

Just installed boxee on one of the pc's in my office. Im ready to rock on helping build this thing.

Hopefully i will get some time today to finish the developer doc and start playing around.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

I suggest we somehow organize the effort. How about a "role call" and a volunteer to act as project co-ordinator? (I'm not the most skilled so would not be the first choice.)

I'm in.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I paid $193 US from NewEgg. Sorry, I don't have any H.264 material to try.
I picked up a boxee box about a month ago, after researching for awhile. $199 seems to be about the norm, got mine on the $179 sale after % off which runs frequently too. Fun little box and I have my Sage server folders shared so I can watch off it too.

I LOVE this community, never problems, just more fixes to be had. WOOT!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Sage Icon

Im down. for doing development. I could do the coordination, but with the little one still being so well little, i dont' want to halt this project with my lack of available time to "coordinate" I will def help out and develop as much as possible.

If it comes down to it and no one wants to take the ball on being the coordinator my arm could most likely be twisted.

~Mike
Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm definitely interested in this, too. I had a lightning strike take out one of my extenders 2 weeks ago, so I'm going to have to drop some cash to replace it. Lately, I'd guess that 75% of the content I'm watching is from Netflix or some PlayOn channel, which the Boxee can handle.

I'd also be interested in helping out with any development efforts on this. Due to lack of time (and not wanting to write code outside of work) I haven't been involved with any SageTV-related development, but I'm definitely capable.

Can anyone who has a D-Link Boxee unit comment on the quality of Netflix?

There is definitely potential here!
Dan
Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Sage Icon

Alright, so I think we should focus on small chunks at a time as i think tmiranda suggested.

for example:

1) epg vieweing
2) favorites manager
3) "live TV" which could be done as 2 commands
-- 1 browse guide
-- 2 select media to play
-- 3 schedule manual recording of that file
-- 4 play back "recording"
-----This will be a little bit of a lag, but i think its workable
4) How to get metadata from Sage for the sage TV recordings... I setup boxee and setup all my import directories. The recordings, because of the way that sage saves them are mostly ambigious to Boxee. IT doesn't know what the heck it is or what to look for as far as metadata is conccerend. if we could figure out a way to get boxee to read the properties file, we may be in luck on that

thoughts?

I think this is a good start, and Im pretty sure this is what your idea was from the get go tmiranda. My thought was to create a complete ui replacement. Looking at boxee closer and how robust it is out of the box we may not need to do that to make this a very nice little addition/alternative to the no longer avaialble extenders...

Last edited by PiX64; 07-20-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've been searching around a bit for info on the Boxee and came across a MythTV app that someone developed. I think the UI looks pretty good.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyRex View Post
I've been searching around a bit for info on the Boxee and came across a MythTV app that someone developed. I think the UI looks pretty good.
awesome. that could be extremely useful. Ill take a look after this meeting...
Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
Alright, so I think we should focus on small chunks at a time as i think tmiranda suggested.
Sounds like a good plan. Plus, given the way Boxee apps are structured, it would be pretty easy to have one person/group working on the UI while another person/group work on the code to interface with Sage.

Quote:
4) How to get metadata from Sage for the sage TV recordings... I setup boxee and setup all my import directories. The recordings, because of the way that sage saves them are mostly ambigious to Boxee. IT doesn't know what the heck it is or what to look for as far as metadata is concerned. if we could figure out a way to get boxee to read the properties file, we may be in luck on that
It sounds like you're suggesting using the native Boxee media browser for TV recordings, correct? If so, someone created a script to archive/import SageTV recordings into XBMC, which could be of use here as well.

Of course the other options are to either create our own media browser within the SageTV app or somehow provide metadata to the native Boxee media browser, which I'm not sure is even possible.

-Dan
Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyRex View Post
Sounds like a good plan. Plus, given the way Boxee apps are structured, it would be pretty easy to have one person/group working on the UI while another person/group work on the code to interface with Sage.

It sounds like you're suggesting using the native Boxee media browser for TV recordings, correct? If so, someone created a script to archive/import SageTV recordings into XBMC, which could be of use here as well.

Of course the other options are to either create our own media browser within the SageTV app or somehow provide metadata to the native Boxee media browser, which I'm not sure is even possible.

-Dan

That could work...a bit of a round about way to get the metadata though. Maybe we could use the available sagex apis to get the recording details, and match it based on the physical filename...in the boxee app then we would just need to use the metadata returned from sagex or bmt...
Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

..CRAP! anyone know if you can develop apps without owning a boxee box? I thought when i was reviewing the documentation before that you could, but now i am trying to setup my machien for "developmnet" via the website and its only allowing me to add boxee boxes as dev boxes

Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
That could work...a bit of a round about way to get the metadata though. Maybe we could use the available sagex apis to get the recording details, and match it based on the physical filename...in the boxee app then we would just need to use the metadata returned from sagex or bmt...
Yeah the scripting method is definitely less than ideal, although it would be pretty slick if recorded shows were included in the native media browser with complete metadata.

That said, I'd agree that creating a media browser within the app and using sagex or bmt is the way to go.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
..CRAP! anyone know if you can develop apps without owning a boxee box? I thought when i was reviewing the documentation before that you could, but now i am trying to setup my machien for "developmnet" via the website and its only allowing me to add boxee boxes as dev boxes

hold the phone.. i think i just got over excited...looks like for a client machine i just need to drop the app in the correct location for my local isntance to pick it up...phew.. ill let everyone know shortly.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Metadata (and most other things needed) can be fetched from the SageTV server via the sagex remote api.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
hold the phone.. i think i just got over excited...looks like for a client machine i just need to drop the app in the correct location for my local isntance to pick it up...phew.. ill let everyone know shortly.
Yes, you just drop the app in the correct directory and it shows up under favorites.

I also found out that if you press the \ key just as Boxee starts it will open in a 720x480 window instead of full screen.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Looks like Boxee supports obtaining metadata from NFO files! It should be pretty easy to automatically generate those from Sage, no?