SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Sage Expert

pci-e slot explanation

Hi guys

I'm not really up to speed with pci-e - what the do the x16, x1 mean ? is it just the length of the connector ? If a PC is advertised with :

Number of PCI Express x1 Slots 1
Number of PCI Express x16 Slots 1

Does that mean I can install 2 x1 cards in there ? Most tuner cards seem to be x1

Thanks
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 08-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Sage Expert

It denotes how many pcie lanes the slot has. More lanes means more bandwidth. x16 is used primarily for video, x8 and x4 are used frequently for HDD controllers and scsi interfaces. x1 is for small things like sound/video/ethernet cards. Usually an x16, x8, or x4 slot will allow an x1 card to be used but hat is not always the case. Check with the MB's manual to be sure. You can never go the other way though, i.e. an x16 card will never work in an x1 slot.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
It denotes how many pcie lanes the slot has. More lanes means more bandwidth. x16 is used primarily for video, x8 and x4 are used frequently for HDD controllers and scsi interfaces. x1 is for small things like sound/video/ethernet cards. Usually an x16, x8, or x4 slot will allow an x1 card to be used but hat is not always the case. Check with the MB's manual to be sure. You can never go the other way though, i.e. an x16 card will never work in an x1 slot.
Depends also on your chipset/board - in Nvidia chipsets, in particular, but on other platforms, I've tried sticking x1 cards like tuners or x4 cards like hardware RAID controllers, into the x16 slot, and for some reason, the x16 slot won't fly for anything but a display adapter.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Sage Icon

Here's a link with more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Some of the connectors will not be useful if components on the PC board behind the slot block the card from plugging in the slot, so you have to look out for that problem. You can get extender cables so you could still use blocked slots, but you would have to mount the PCIE card somewhere in the chassis away from the slot.

Dave
Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks guys. I've done more digging and found it has Intel ICH10 chipset. I can't seem to find any card restrictions through searching google

Since I'd be using it as a headless server, I don't need a graphics card in there so it would be nice if it could be used for another tuner in the future.
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You can never go the other way though, i.e. an x16 card will never work in an x1 slot.
That's not entirely accurate either. electrically, an x16 card would still work in an x1, x4, x8, etc slot, just with reduced bandwidth. The only thing preventing it is the physical connection. There are manufacturers that leave the end of the slot open, so a longer connector will fit in it, and they work fine in most cases. I have seen people mod their MB by slicing the end of the pcie-x1 or x4 slots to accept another x8 or x16 card. I myself on my last MB, opened up the end of an x4 slot to add a x8 raid card. Worked great.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That's not entirely accurate either. electrically, an x16 card would still work in an x1, x4, x8, etc slot, just with reduced bandwidth. The only thing preventing it is the physical connection. There are manufacturers that leave the end of the slot open, so a longer connector will fit in it, and they work fine in most cases. I have seen people mod their MB by slicing the end of the pcie-x1 or x4 slots to accept another x8 or x16 card. I myself on my last MB, opened up the end of an x4 slot to add a x8 raid card. Worked great.
Wow, that begs the question why did the manufacturer design it as an x8 card if it only needs 4 lanes?

Even though I made an incorrect statement I was trying to keep it simple. I have a MB that has an x8 connector but is only wired for x4. It's clearly stated in the manual that this is the case though; Supermicro isn't trying to fool anyone. Maybe storage adapter manufacturers are notorious for designing an x4 card and putting it in an x8 body...

Whatever the reason, thanks for the correction
Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Wow, that begs the question why did the manufacturer design it as an x8 card if it only needs 4 lanes?

Even though I made an incorrect statement I was trying to keep it simple. I have a MB that has an x8 connector but is only wired for x4. It's clearly stated in the manual that this is the case though; Supermicro isn't trying to fool anyone. Maybe storage adapter manufacturers are notorious for designing an x4 card and putting it in an x8 body...

Whatever the reason, thanks for the correction
Because it performs better in an x8 slot. USB 3.0 devices will work in a USB 1.1 socket also, just not near as well.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room