SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Sage User

sage / windows hanging on the hour / change of recording

I have sage set up on a Celeron 766, with a Hauppauge 350 and a matching chipset 250. Everything is mostly working happily, except that since upgrading to 2.0, windows hangs regularly, on the hour. When this happens, it seems to be recording two shows, and may be about to be recording two more shows, and usually (but not always) we're watching something. This happened straight up at 9pm tonight, happened at 10pm last night, 1am yesterday morning, and so forth. We have no regularly scheduled tasks, and this is a dedicated box. We've got all the latest Windows XP Pro patches, we've got the latest Java version, and we're not sure what to do next.

When this hangs during recording, we have a problem with being able to play back what was recorded, none of skip or pause work, and we end up having to start over from the beginning of the show (I assume some interruption while writing something for keeping sync). This is making sage incredibly frustrating to use, particularly when this happens twice in one night, as has happened recently. The HAF is incredibly low at this point.

Is anyone else seeing anything like this?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

This is what's commonly referred to around here as the "end of file" bug. If you do a search, you'll find more info, but it doesn't seem to be fixed at this point. I think it's unique to the 350's. Since it's still a problem, I've minimized how frequently it pops up by changing my 350 to "never_stop_encoding" in the sage.properties file, although I've still had it lock up on me once even with this option on.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Sage User

I didn't have problems with the betas that were this noticeable and regular. And this always happens when lots of things are recording, as far as I've been able to tell, two shows ending recording on the hour, two things beginning recording on the hour, so I'm not sure if never_stop_encoding can help, since it shouldn't have actually stopped encoding more than long enough to cut to a new file.
Hauppauge PVR 350
Hauppauge PVR 250
Old 06-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

You might be right. My lockups always tended to happen in the middle of the night, when the 350 was done recording something, and there was nothing after it. never_stop_encoding might not fix your problem, but it sounds like the same bug.