SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Plugin: mc2xml EPG Plugin

After months of development time spent here and there, I'm pleased to announce the first public beta of my mc2xml EPG Plugin.

Originally, this plugin was to use Schedules Direct as its source, but licensing issues have prevented that to date. There is an SD version of this plugin sitting on my private svn repository, but it's unclear at this point whether or not it will see the light of day. In the meantime, this plugin grabs its EPG data from mc2xml.

Because of how EPG plugins must be hooked into the Sage core, there are special instructions required to completely install this plugin. Please read the installation section of the user guide carefully before starting an installation! It's not overly complicated or difficult, but does require some extra care. Same for an uninstall - you must do some manual steps to uninstall this plugin. All the details are outlined in the user guide.

Please read through the user guide carefully before installing this plugin. There are a few known issues with switching away from the Sage EPG service to this one along with some features of the Sage EPG service that this plugin cannot provide. All the details are outlined in the user guide. Pay special attention to the "Known Issues" section for a key issue that can cause recording of previously recorded episodes.

I'm quite pleased with the results and have actually moved my production server to this plugin for EPG data - mainly for the show and airing filter capabilities. I realize the Sage EPG service is around for at least another nine months (and maybe longer), but I'm hoping to get a few people to at least try it out and provide some early feedback - better to tweak and fix bugs now than hit them after the Sage EPG service is gone.

If you find this EPG plugin useful, I encourage you to donate to the mc2xml author. Without mc2xml, this plugin would not be possible.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Nice Job! More EPG Alternatives

Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Wow, great work and thank you Slugger!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Slugger,

Working great thanks.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Sage Icon

Slugger: Job well done, Man!!

Works like a charm. Thanks!!!!
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Kingston, on?

this is welcome news!

When you mention: "You just can't assign different, unique lineups to different tuners with the unlicensed version of the plugin...."
that would apply if you were subscribing to both a sat and cable co. and their independent lineups?
ps. have you seen a band in Kingston, 'The Tonecats,?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 10-15-2011, 11:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
this is welcome news!

When you mention: "You just can't assign different, unique lineups to different tuners with the unlicensed version of the plugin...."
that would apply if you were subscribing to both a sat and cable co. and their independent lineups?
Correct. You can only download full, predetermined provider lineups via mc2xml - you can't pick and choose individual channels like you can with the Sage EPG service. If you needed to download a cable and a sat lineup and wanted both lineups to be visible to Sage then you'd have to do one of the following:

1) Run the licensed version of the plugin. This will make all lineups you configure visible to Sage via the plugin.

2) Generate the xmltv.xml file with mc2xml (or maybe even xmltv*) on your own, outside of this plugin/SageTV. Point this plugin to some phony exe that simply eats the command line and returns success, then this plugin will proceed with processing the xmltv.xml file you generated externally.

3) Build your own version of this plugin and remove the licensing requirements. You're responsible for rebuilding and redeploying with each code update, but you can build it with all the licensed features without needing a license. Be aware, however, that code changes are going to be occurring often over the next few months. The EPG data processing will probably need some tweaks and there are advanced features still to be implemented.

#1 is the easiest, I think #2 is probably the next easiest then #3, though I'm kind of on the fence as to which is easier between #2 and #3. Your abilities with compiling Groovy code to Java byte code might influence your personal ranking of these tasks.

* Using anything other than mc2xml with the "microsoft legacy" service to generate the xmltv.xml file will probably result in failed EPG updates. If users want to produce xmltv output from other sources to be processed by this plugin then I'm willing to accommodate, within reason. I do plan on adding support for at least the other sources supported by mc2xml, but I may also be willing to support other xmltv generators. However, as of right now, only the input from the mc2xml "microsoft legacy" settings are supported - anything else will probably fail.

Quote:
They don't ring a bell. The only band from Kingston that I listen to with any fanfare is The Tragically Hip. If you're from Canada, you know who they are. If you're not, then you probably don't.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Correct. You can only download full, predetermined provider lineups via mc2xml - you can't pick and choose individual channels like you can with the Sage EPG service. If you needed to download a cable and a sat lineup and wanted both lineups to be visible to Sage then you'd have to do one of the following:

1) Run the licensed version of the plugin. This will make all lineups you configure visible to Sage via the plugin.

2) Generate the xmltv.xml file with mc2xml (or maybe even xmltv*) on your own, outside of this plugin/SageTV. Point this plugin to some phony exe that simply eats the command line and returns success, then this plugin will proceed with processing the xmltv.xml file you generated externally.

3) Build your own version of this plugin and remove the licensing requirements. You're responsible for rebuilding and redeploying with each code update, but you can build it with all the licensed features without needing a license. Be aware, however, that code changes are going to be occurring often over the next few months. The EPG data processing will probably need some tweaks and there are advanced features still to be implemented.

#1 is the easiest, I think #2 is probably the next easiest then #3, though I'm kind of on the fence as to which is easier between #2 and #3. Your abilities with compiling Groovy code to Java byte code might influence your personal ranking of these tasks.

* Using anything other than mc2xml with the "microsoft legacy" service to generate the xmltv.xml file will probably result in failed EPG updates. If users want to produce xmltv output from other sources to be processed by this plugin then I'm willing to accommodate, within reason. I do plan on adding support for at least the other sources supported by mc2xml, but I may also be willing to support other xmltv generators. However, as of right now, only the input from the mc2xml "microsoft legacy" settings are supported - anything else will probably fail.

They don't ring a bell. The only band from Kingston that I listen to with any fanfare is The Tragically Hip. If you're from Canada, you know who they are. If you're not, then you probably don't.
Choice number one is fine with me.... $7 to $20, correct?
The Tonecats are a rockabilly band that a high school friend fronts. They have a Facebook page - you can see them at local pubs.
as far as citizenship goes... Bill Barilko, eh? nuff' said
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 10-16-2011, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
And I thought the only band to come from Kingston was Bob Marley and the Whalers

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The only band from Kingston that I listen to with any fanfare is The Tragically Hip.
The Tragically Hip are awesome. Love their bass riffs...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
And I thought the only band to come from Kingston was Bob Marley and the Whalers
didn't you know? Bob was a hoser
Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Slugger,

The full Digital lineup can be huge I have over 500 channels and only use a few. I was able to limit them by creating a file mc2xml.chl and putting it in my line up folder.

mc2xml.chl

2-71
200-399
702-715
Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Slugger,

The full Digital lineup can be huge I have over 500 channels and only use a few. I was able to limit them by creating a file mc2xml.chl and putting it in my line up folder.
Yes, I need to add this to the docs. The plugin will honour and use any of the additional config files that mc2xml will accept as documented on the mc2xml site.

However... by doing this, any new channels added to the lineup will not show up in Sage unless you remember to add those new channels to this config file in your lineup folder.

By downloading all channels and disabling the ones you don't need in Sage, new channels in your lineup will be added as they're added to your lineup in mc2xml.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, I need to add this to the docs. The plugin will honour and use any of the additional config files that mc2xml will accept as documented on the mc2xml site.

However... by doing this, any new channels added to the lineup will not show up in Sage unless you remember to add those new channels to this config file in your lineup folder.

By downloading all channels and disabling the ones you don't need in Sage, new channels in your lineup will be added as they're added to your lineup in mc2xml.
Good point... I will try out the full lineup.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Sage Expert

Multiple lineups

Just to make sure I understand correctly. I have to create a folder under sagetv\plugins\mc2xmlepg for each lineup. IE. c:\program files\sagetv\sagetv\plugins\mc2xmlepg\timewarnercable for the analog lineup and c:\program files\sagetv\sagetv\plugins\mc2xmlepg\timewarnercabledigital for the digital tuner lineup and run mc2xml from the command line from each folder?
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadeau View Post
Just to make sure I understand correctly. I have to create a folder under sagetv\plugins\mc2xmlepg for each lineup. IE. c:\program files\sagetv\sagetv\plugins\mc2xmlepg\timewarnercable for the analog lineup and c:\program files\sagetv\sagetv\plugins\mc2xmlepg\timewarnercabledigital for the digital tuner lineup and run mc2xml from the command line from each folder?
Correct, assuming each of those are distinct/unique lineups in mc2xml.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks. I just installed it with 2 different program lineups and it works great. Only problems is each channel is listed twice in the lineup in the channel. Not 2 separate listings. It used to be the network icon, then channel number and then the listings by time. Now it is 2 2 then the listings by time. IE. 2 2, 3 3, 4 4 and so on.
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks. I just installed it with 2 different program lineups and it works great. Only problems is each channel is listed twice in the lineup in the channel. Not 2 separate listings. It used to be the network icon, then channel number and then the listings by time. Now it is 2 2 then the listings by time. IE. 2 2, 3 3, 4 4 and so on.
Not quite understanding this one. Screenshot?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Sage Expert

Here is the screenshot.
I think I know what is happening. I noticed that on the channels that have a high definition equivalent, It shows its equivalent and on all others is is the same number. For instance for for the disney channel it has 68 985 as you will see in screenshot2. In the first screenshot, channel 6 has an hd equivalent which is 706 but it doesn't show it it just shows 6 6 wcsh in screenshot 1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.JPG (141.7 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg screenshot2.jpg (146.8 KB, 500 views)

Last edited by rnadeau; 10-16-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Here is the screenshot.
I think I know what is happening. I noticed that on the channels that have a high definition equivalent, It shows its equivalent and on all others is is the same number. For instance for for the disney channel it has 68 985 as you will see in screenshot2. In the first screenshot, channel 6 has an hd equivalent which is 706 but it doesn't show it it just shows 6 6 wcsh in screenshot 1.
A couple of things...

1) You're not going to get channel logos anymore using this plugin. You'd have to install one of the channel logo plugins to get logos back.

2) Do you get the same behaviour using the stock Sage STV or from the web plugin when viewing the EPG?