SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 AM
SageTVaholic

WIcons API - display original Weather Icons

For any developers that would like to display the original weather icons using the new Google/NWS API here are the 2 calls available from the WIcons plugin that you are certainly welcome to use.

WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconURL(String) String
WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconURLDay(String) String

- this call takes a string but expects a url in the form that the GoogleWeather API returns from either Google or NWS.
- it will return a string that is the path to the original weather icon image if a match was found. If no match then the returned string is the original url passed in.
- the ...URLDay call will ignore the current time of day and always return the Day Icon which is useful for forecasts.

WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconNoURL(String) String
WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconNoURLDay(String) String

- these calls are the same as those above however they only return a number (as a string) that represents the Icon Image to use.
- if no match is found these calls return "-1"

Sample Google call...

Code:
sage_google_weather_GoogleWeather_getGWCurrentCondition(GoogleWeatherInstance, "iconURL")

Replace with...

WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconURL(sage_google_weather_GoogleWeather_getGWCurrentCondition(GoogleWeatherInstance, "iconURL"))
Sample NWS forecast call...

Code:
sage_google_weather_GoogleWeather_getNWSForecastCondition(GoogleWeatherInstance,ForecastPeriod,"icon_url")

Replace with...

WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconURLDay(sage_google_weather_GoogleWeather_getNWSForecastCondition(GoogleWeatherInstance,ForecastPeriod,"icon_url"))
Note:

WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconURL uses Day Icon images between 7am and 7pm local time by default.

You can override these times by adding properties to the sage properties file as follows...

WIcons/DayStartHour=7
WIcons/DayEndHour=19

Let me know if there are any questions.

k

Last edited by jusjoken; 12-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Cool, this is just what I'm looking for

Questions will follow I'm sure
Old 12-04-2011, 12:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks much. I hope to make use of the API in the future.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Sage Icon

I'm not sure if we need to report this to google or you.....

The locations I entered was Scotland and Edinburgh... it got the rest of the data ok.

WIcons: unhandled url - please report 'http://www.google.com'

CurrFolder: \SageTV\SageTV\STVs\Ortus\Themes\Default\Weather/Icons\ww

Other than that it works great.

Thanks

EDIT

I think the current weather condition should have been "Chance of Snow"

Last edited by jaminben; 12-04-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
The locations I entered was Scotland and Edinburgh... it got the rest of the data ok.
There's your problem. If you enter "Orlando-Florida" it will say "79 F, mostly sunny."

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
There's your problem. If you enter "Orlando-Florida" it will say "79 F, mostly sunny."
LOl.... I wish
Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Sage Icon

Another quick question for you

Does it take into account the time of day (day/night) when using:
WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconURL(String)

The reason I ask is because I've got my weather URL:
http://www.google.com/ig/images/weat...tly_cloudy.gif

And Its currently night time but the image I get back is of a cloudy sun rather than a cloudy moon. I've checked the default Sage icons and its icon 28.png where as I think it should be icon 33.png.... thats if it uses day/night images.

Many Thanks

Ben
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm not sure if we need to report this to google or you.....

WIcons: unhandled url - please report 'http://www.google.com'

CurrFolder: \SageTV\SageTV\STVs\Ortus\Themes\Default\Weather/Icons\ww

Other than that it works great.

Thanks

EDIT

I think the current weather condition should have been "Chance of Snow"
I added a little more debugging and it looks like it is Google weather as the url that is getting sent is 'http://www.google.com' ... it should be something like 'http://www.google.com/ig/images/weather/chance_of_snow.gif'.

I also tried SageTV without WIcons and you get a blank image for this location as well. Perhaps you can post something for Opus4 incase his API is catching an error or it could obviously be Google Weather istelf.

Glad it's working for you otherwise.

k
Old 12-04-2011, 05:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Another quick question for you

Does it take into account the time of day (day/night) when using:
WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconURL(String)

The reason I ask is because I've got my weather URL:
http://www.google.com/ig/images/weat...tly_cloudy.gif

And Its currently night time but the image I get back is of a cloudy sun rather than a cloudy moon. I've checked the default Sage icons and its icon 28.png where as I think it should be icon 33.png.... thats if it uses day/night images.

Many Thanks

Ben
Yes it does... however the time that Day starts and ends is defaulted to 7am and 7pm respectively. This should be local time.

You can override these times by adding properties as follows...

WIcons/DayStartHour=7
WIcons/DayEndHour=19

I will update the fist post as well with this information.

k
Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
I added a little more debugging and it looks like it is Google weather as the url that is getting sent is 'http://www.google.com' ... it should be something like 'http://www.google.com/ig/images/weather/chance_of_snow.gif'.

I also tried SageTV without WIcons and you get a blank image for this location as well. Perhaps you can post something for Opus4 incase his API is catching an error or it could obviously be Google Weather istelf.

Glad it's working for you otherwise.

k
Thanks for the quick reply

Ok, will do...

One other quickie... yes I'm a pain

Could you create a call that just exposes the image number? Although I've stripped away the bits I don't want it would be cleaner to just have the number... just a thought / feature request.

Thanks

Ben

EDIT

Quote:
Yes it does... however the time that Day starts and ends is defaulted to 7am and 7pm respectively. This should be local time.

You can override these times by adding properties as follows...

WIcons/DayStartHour=7
WIcons/DayEndHour=19

I will update the fist post as well with this information.

k
I thought I saw a moon image earlier when I was setting it up but the weather condition has since changed to Mostly Cloudy and its now showing a sun.... its 12pm here so still within your night parameters. Is there a way to check to see if its using the correct image?

EDIT 2

Scratch that... I was using the wrong call and thats why it was showing the sun (GetWeatherIconURLDay)..... Doh!!!

Sorry

Last edited by jaminben; 12-04-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Ok, will do...

Could you create a call that just exposes the image number? Although I've stripped away the bits I don't want it would be cleaner to just have the number... just a thought / feature request.

Thanks

Ben

EDIT

I thought I saw a moon image ealier when I was setting it up but the weather condition has since changed to Mostly Cloudy and its now showing a sun.... its 12pm here so still within your night parameters. Is there a way to check to see if its using the correct image?
Can you add a DebugLog statement and capture the return of the WIcons_Icons_GetWeatherIconURL call and let me know the Icon number in the string being returned.

k
Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Ok, will do...

Would you just want the return to be "33" or "33.png"

k
Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Would you just want the return to be "33" or "33.png"

k
I made a mistake with my code from the above post about day/night images.... sorry (I edited it now).

Just 33... I use seperate images to the Provided Sage versions which are stored in their own folders but the folders still use the same numbering system. This way its pretty easy to create animated weather icons + backgrounds if needed.

Thanks

Ben
Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I made a mistake with my code from the above post about day/night images.... sorry (I edited it now).

Just 33... I use seperate images to the Provided Sage versions which are stored in their own folders but the folders still use the same numbering system. This way its pretty easy to create animated weather icons + backgrounds if needed.

Thanks

Ben
No problem. I am in the middle of some other coding but could likely get something out later tonight as it is a small change. I will post something when I update the plugin.

k
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Thanks

Ben
New 1.002 version of the WIcons API released to support this request. I have updated the 1st post with the call information.

k
Old 12-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Sage Icon

Cool, those new calls worked a treat

Thankyou