SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question Handbrake or other Tool to convert recordings?

I'd like to convert some of my recorded shows (targeting recorded movies, mostly) to MP4 or MKV from the default, Sage format (I think MPEG1/2?).

Has anyone found a good tool to do this? I haven't had any luck just using Handbrake directly.

I thought there was a batch setup someone had built that did actually use Handbrake, and replaced the original with the more compressed format and updated Sage's info so it was all still consistent in the STV interface, but I haven't been able to locate that posting.

Thanks in advance,
AJ
Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweber1nj View Post
I'd like to convert some of my recorded shows (targeting recorded movies, mostly) to MP4 or MKV from the default, Sage format (I think MPEG1/2?).

Has anyone found a good tool to do this? I haven't had any luck just using Handbrake directly.

I thought there was a batch setup someone had built that did actually use Handbrake, and replaced the original with the more compressed format and updated Sage's info so it was all still consistent in the STV interface, but I haven't been able to locate that posting.

Thanks in advance,
AJ
Try MediaShrink
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Sage Icon

Have you tried the built-in Sage convert function?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
I think I did try that, but don't know that it worked (I think the original was still in the recording directory, and I don't think I found the output file in the new format).
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I think that was it. I'll re-download and install that and try it.

Thanks for the find.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I think I did try that, but don't know that it worked (I think the original was still in the recording directory, and I don't think I found the output file in the new format).
The converted recording will appear in the recordings list with the original (unless you set it to "auto delete" the original). So if you had a recording of a show, it will then indicate you have two - you can then just delete the original, larger file.

I have recently started converting many of my HD recordings (OTA, uncompressed MPG) to "DVD 'good' quality" MKV. A 6 GB show goes down to right around 1 GB, and through the HD300 on my 40" HDTV, I don't really even notice a difference.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM
SageTVaholic

If you have VideoRedo, you could consider using VAP;

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/forumdisplay.php?f=41
Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
The built-in (ffmpeg) converter is a bit out of date and sometimes fails on transport stream recordings; usually resulting in out-of-sync audio.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 02-15-2012, 01:34 PM
SageTVaholic

I recently undertook a project to transcode a bunch of recordings to MP4 for playback on Android devices. In my testing I found that Handbrake consistently produced better-looking results than ffmpeg for the same bitrate and quality settings, with fewer sync errors, and took less time to do it.

One issue with Handbrake is that the released version (0.9.5) crashes on some recordings in 32-bit Windows. This problem seems to be fixed in the nightly builds of Handbrake, if you don't mind living on the edge.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, that's why MediaShrink (which I believe is a bunch of scripts and batch files) to semi-automate this is more attractive to me. I need to see if that'll work with the latest build of Handbrake (I think it uses the CLI).
Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yeah, that's why MediaShrink (which I believe is a bunch of scripts and batch files) to semi-automate this is more attractive to me. I need to see if that'll work with the latest build of Handbrake (I think it uses the CLI).
I'll be curious as to how you get on with MediaShrink. I had to give up on it myself because too often it would punt on transport stream recordings in its pre-processor for reasons never fully explained in the logs. Probably a Handbrake or ffmpeg issue, as the binaries included in the package are now out of date.

--

Spent some time on MediaShrink last night and think I figured out my issue. An installation of VideoRedo was failing and screwing up the pre-processing scripts of MediaShrink. Since removing it things are much happier.

Last edited by phelme; 02-16-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Good to hear. I think that's what I'm going to try today.

Can I ask how to properly attempt a straight, Handbrake transcode? Anytime I've tried to open up a .ts file with Handbrake, it takes forever, then complains with an error message (last time was "Title not found" or something). Is there some pre-processing I need to do?

--------------
UPDATE

I installed Mediashrink 3.04, and then went about manually replacing all the binary sub-directories (except curl and comskip) with the latest-and-greatest downloads. Am testing now.

One thing I just can't seem to get it to do is to follow the Handbrake Profile I request in "mediashrink.defaults". Do I need to remove the /profile autoEncode entry from the line? I think that's trying to intelligently parse the video's properties and pick its own settings (very cool, but I don't want it to do that in my case).

Last edited by aweber1nj; 02-17-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Handbrake bombed-out again in the midst of the run. Can anyone tell me what might be happening here and how I could fix it? Here's a log snippet:

- Getting Video Info: (D:\SageRecordings\DateNight-3571114-0.ts)(7393987.4921875)
- Getting Handbrake info: "C:\MediaShrink\mediaEngineBins\HandBrake 9.4\HandBrakeCLI.exe" -i "D:/SageRecordings/DateNight-3571114-0.ts" -t 0 2>&1 (D:\SageRecordings\DateNight-3571114-0.workFolder\DateNight-3571114-0.HandbrakeInfo)
+ Scanning title 1 of 1...
+ [13:01:55] hb_ts_stream_decode - eof
+ [13:01:55] Warning: Could not read data for preview 10, skipped
+ [13:01:56] libhb: scan thread found 0 valid title(s)
+ No title found.
+ HandBrake has exited.
- Setting Handbrake Audio Options if /allAudio
+ Handbrake Settings (ALL) : -a -E -B
! Unable to detect video info, skipping to next video
Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have downloaded and tried a few different "solutions" (MeGUI and MediaCoder amongst them), and none are liking the output from Sage. I think it's that there are multiple audio streams or something. I really can't tell. Transcoding in 2012 should NOT be this hard.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
SageTVaholic

That looks like the problem I mentioned earlier. Try the nightly Handbrake build at http://build.handbrake.fr.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Tried handbrake nightly-build today. Got roughly the same result:
hb_ts_stream_decode - eof
No title found.

This is just stupid how hard it is. How can Sage output be so difficult to transcode?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you using the Handbrake 0.9.5 official release, along with it's own GUI for testing purposes, or are you always using Mediashrink in some fashion? Additionally, which tuner are you using that's creating the .ts file?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have tried it both ways, and with the nightly build version too.
It's surprising, because I usually have great luck with handbrake, but nothing seems to work on this ts file.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I have tried it both ways, and with the nightly build version too.
It's surprising, because I usually have great luck with handbrake, but nothing seems to work on this ts file.
Sounds like you need a utility like QuickStream Fix that comes withe VideoRedo. This has rescued quite a few files for me.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM
SageTVaholic

What's the source of your files? I use Handbrake regularly without problems - and I use it either on OTA files or MPEG files from a Hauppauge 1850.