SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Which Version of Eclipse?

I just upgraded my development system from 32 bit Windows XP to 64 bit Windows 7 and am unsure if I should install the 32 bit version of Eclipse or the 64 bit version, or will it matter? Obviously I want to produce 32 bit .JAR files for Sage - can the 64 bit version of Eclipse produce 32 bit .JARs?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 AM
SageTVaholic

There is no such thing as a 64 bit java 'application'. Java compiled classes are in java bytecode, period. Executing the programs on a 64 bit JVM (which in turn requires a 64 bit OS) gives them access to more memory, but the difference is invisible to the program since all access to memory manipulation is hidden and all datatypes are the same.

Unless you have native code (machine code compiled for a specific arcitechture) your code will run equally well in a 32-bit and 64-bit JVM.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Sage Icon

The .jar themselves are device independent, that's the whole point of java...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 AM
SageTVaholic

So if I install the 64 bit JDK and 64 bit Eclipse the compiled .JAR will work on 32 bit and 64 bit systems? Then why are there different versions of the JRE and JDK?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
So if I install the 64 bit JDK and 64 bit Eclipse the compiled .JAR will work on 32 bit and 64 bit systems? Then why are there different versions of the JRE and JDK?
The 64bit jre/jdk is there because the OS is 64bit. The actually java byte code doesn't matter if you compile using a 64bit jdk or not, the resulting output (.jar) is compatible (unless you access native code, as Gerry noted, which I'm pretty sure you are not). So in short, go ahead and install the 64bit jdk on windows.

To put it this way... the java 'int' is always 32bits, and it doesn't change because you are running on a 64bit jvm.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
The 64bit jre/jdk is there because the OS is 64bit. The actually java byte code doesn't matter if you compile using a 64bit jdk or not, the resulting output (.jar) is compatible (unless you access native code, as Gerry noted, which I'm pretty sure you are not). So in short, go ahead and install the 64bit jdk on windows.

To put it this way... the java 'int' is always 32bits, and it doesn't change because you are running on a 64bit jvm.
Got it.

Since I'm migrating to a new machine I also thought I'd migrate from NetBeans to Eclipse. One thing for sure, the Eclipse install process is way more difficult. Unzip, create shortcuts, edit eclipse.ini ... yuk. Why didn't they use a proper installer?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Got it.

Since I'm migrating to a new machine I also thought I'd migrate from NetBeans to Eclipse. One thing for sure, the Eclipse install process is way more difficult. Unzip, create shortcuts, edit eclipse.ini ... yuk. Why didn't they use a proper installer?
Eclipse is one of those applications... you either love it or hate it I started out in NetBeans, but I ultimately ended up on Eclipse (my own choice)... My main reason at the time for switching was that NetBeans was so SLOW and Eclipse was so much faster (hard to believe that Netbeans could have been slower than Eclipse )... Today, I'm pretty sure they are about the same in terms of performance. The only area that I really liked better in Netbeans was for doing Swing development... they had a nicer UI editor for that. But now that Eclipse has the WindowBuilder Pro plugins (purchased by google and made freely available), the Swing development is a little more easier to do in Eclipse (not that I do much Swing development)

Feel free to hit me up with questions.

As for the installer... I like the download and unzip over the windows installer... I know what's being installed and where, and I can easily pick it up and move it... I typically install (ie, unzip) eclipse in my home directory (apps/eclipse) and when I reinstall Linux, eclipse is already installed (My /home is on a separate partition). There are "commecialized" version of Eclipse as well, that provide better installers. MyEclipse (if they are still around) used to be a one that many people used. IBM also provides their Rational Team Concert (RTC) product (free), which I think has an installer for windows. I use plain old Eclipse myself.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

As you know, I'm not afraid to ask questions

First think I'm going to do is figure out how to get at my existing projects in google code. I think I need Subclipse.....

Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I got eclipse to talk to the googlecode repository but am a little unsure of how to proceed.

1. I'm assuming that to checkout one specific project I add that as a specific repository (So I added https://tmiranda.googlecode.com/svn/...ercialDetector as the repo location.) Is this correct or do I add https://tmiranda.googlecode.com/svn/trunk and get all of my projects in one go?

2. Do I select "Checkout as a project configured using the New Project Wizard" or "Checkout as a project in the workspace"? If the former, what type of project do I select? (The project should produce a .JAR usable by SageTV.)

Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I got eclipse to talk to the googlecode repository but am a little unsure of how to proceed.

1. I'm assuming that to checkout one specific project I add that as a specific repository (So I added https://tmiranda.googlecode.com/svn/...ercialDetector as the repo location.) Is this correct or do I add https://tmiranda.googlecode.com/svn/trunk and get all of my projects in one go?

2. Do I select "Checkout as a project configured using the New Project Wizard" or "Checkout as a project in the workspace"? If the former, what type of project do I select? (The project should produce a .JAR usable by SageTV.)
I typically create a single repository ending at the "svn" or "trunk". I then I use File -> New -> Other -> SVN -> Checkout Projects from SVN
- Select your repository
- Navigate to the project root folder (if you have multiple projects)
- Highlight the project and then click finish.

This should create a project the same name as your selected project in the repo. You can then configure the src and build path (if your project is not already an Eclipse project)