SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD300 won't boot past splash screen

All,

My HD300 will not boot past the splash screen. I can't even get to the factory reset screen by holding down the back button. As it doesn't even seem to recoginze remote control commands. I've tried unplugging network connections as well. It was working just fine, until it had locked up doing something and I got the spinning wheel of death, which will happen from time to time, and the only thing i could do was unplug it. After that i plugged it back in and expected it to work like it has many times before. But nada, zero, zilch. It won't do anything past the splash screen. Any suggestions here?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustovier View Post
All,
It was working just fine, until it had locked up doing something and I got the spinning wheel of death
Can you please follow the procedure here and let me know?

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Sage Expert

Well, he said he can't get the "back" button to function to be able to reflash.

I'd suggest unplugging the device for ovenight with unplugged network connection. Then, only plug in the power plug, see if it will power up then. If that works, then turn it off via button, plug the network back in and turn it back on.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Maybe try using another power supply? I haven't heard about too many going bad, but you never know.

How long ago was the unit purchased? Is it still in warranty?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah holding the back button does no good. I can't get to the service reset screen. I tried leaving it unplugged for a day or so and still nothing.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think the unit might be almost or close to a year old. I think... I can't remember
Old 05-06-2012, 11:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah holding the back button does no good. I can't get to the service reset screen. I tried leaving it unplugged for a day or so and still nothing.
Quote:
I think the unit might be almost or close to a year old. I think... I can't remember
I would contact SageTV here and see if it is STILL under warranty.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Tinkering ideas for bricked hd300

All,

So I have a bricked hd300. All I did was unplug it one day while it was hung up(which usually doesn't cause a problem). It's permanently stuck on the SageTv splash screen. I've already tried the restore procedure indicated in manual (holding back button while plugging in) but that doesn't work. So now.. Any ideas or projects I can do with this coaster right now? I popped it open and noticed their are 2 jumpers inside. Anybody know what these do if set?

* merged *
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
All,

So I have a bricked hd300. All I did was unplug it one day while it was hung up(which usually doesn't cause a problem). It's permanently stuck on the SageTv splash screen. I've already tried the restore procedure indicated in manual (holding back button while plugging in) but that doesn't work. So now.. Any ideas or projects I can do with this coaster right now? I popped it open and noticed their are 2 jumpers inside. Anybody know what these do if set?
I had this happen to my HD300 once... and it turned out to be something to do with my network. Basically when I reboot it with the network cable plugged in, it would freeze at the sage splash... but with the cable unplugged, it would work fine. (at least it would boot into sage standalone)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I had this happen to my HD300 once... and it turned out to be something to do with my network. Basically when I reboot it with the network cable plugged in, it would freeze at the sage splash... but with the cable unplugged, it would work fine. (at least it would boot into sage standalone)
This happens when im not plugged in to the network. It seems like im the only person to have this happen too, such a bummer. But, thanks anyway Stuckless I always appreciate your help on these boards.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This happens when im not plugged in to the network. It seems like im the only person to have this happen too, such a bummer. But, thanks anyway Stuckless I always appreciate your help on these boards.
Maybe... You can telnet to the box (not sure user/pass off hand, but that info is in the forums somewhere) and when you are connected, you might be able to see something in the logs. I don't have much experience with telnetting to the devices (although I have done it once or twice, but I usually have to search the forums for the information on how to do it)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

There are a couple ways to recover, one using a USB stick, the other by making it connect to the server. I don't have the details, and they may be what you tried. I know I recovered a HD200 that way once.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
All,

This happened to you several months ago, please have a look "hd300 won't boot past splash screen" in "SageTV Media Extender" in particular please look at my suggestion in comment #2, that will give you a clue about your options.

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had exactly this in December.

Try routerunners suggestion, this should resolve the issue, otherwise try below:-

Mine seamed slightly different. It appeared that even on powerup it was trying to connect to the network with a cached ip address ( mine is set to dhcp ).

See if you can ping the device even though it is stuck on the splash screen.

I did the following.

1: turned hd300 off.
2: freed up ip address it was trying to use. Also rebooted switch it was connecting to.
3: turned on hd300

It started up straight away. It used the cached ip address it had crashed on even though it was set to dhcp.
3:
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Route runner, I never got the issue resolved. Decided to give it another try to see if I can rescue it.

The problem is that I can't get to the service menu. Pressing back while plugging doesn't do anything.

Ive tried this with the device not having a wifi USB stick or being hard wired in. Still can not get to service menu

I guess Ill try plugging in the Ethernet cable direct to my switch and see if it's trying to grab an ip and if I can telnet to it.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, so I tried pluging it straight to my switch. Booted up (again while trying to hold back button down on remote) still can not get to the recovery screen. Stuck on sage splash screen. I monitored by router logs, and it looks like the hd300 did send a dhcp request for an IP. The router gave it one. But I can not telnet into the hd300. It doesn't even respond to icmp (ping) requests. Anything else you guys can think of?

I'm really curious to what happens if I set these jumpers on the device...
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ok, so I tried pluging it straight to my switch. Booted up (again while trying to hold back button down on remote) still can not get to the recovery screen. Stuck on sage splash screen. I monitored by router logs, and it looks like the hd300 did send a dhcp request for an IP. The router gave it one. But I can not telnet into the hd300. It doesn't even respond to icmp (ping) requests. Anything else you guys can think of?

I'm really curious to what happens if I set these jumpers on the device...
If you cannot telnet then you don't have much you can try I'm afraid, sorry.

Regarding the jumpers those are the serial headers which are TTL levels and requires appropriate conversion, also there isn't getty listening so you wont be able to login any way.

Maybe if you had a static IP address, you probably had more chances...

Eddy

Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Use the the arp command to create a route to your hd300.

eg arp -s 192.168.1.212 00-aa-00-62-c6-09

where 00-aa-00-62-c6-09 is the mac address of the HD300

Then try telneting to 192.168.1.212
Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
Use the the arp command to create a route to your hd300.

eg arp -s 192.168.1.212 00-aa-00-62-c6-09

where 00-aa-00-62-c6-09 is the mac address of the HD300

Then try telneting to 192.168.1.212
No dice on this, but I think the problem is not getting to the box, I believe simply that the OS is not booting up far enough to enable full on network services. Or even far enough to get me to recovery screen where I shouldn't need network services where at least I can reflash it from a usb stick.

I wonder if it will notice a firmware on a usb stick while I reboot and press the back button on remote and if it will act differently?

Such a shame i have $250ish (current market) box here dead...
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I believe simply that the OS is not booting up far enough to enable full on network services.
I thought you said that the extender fired a DHCP request to the router which in turn provided the IP and therefore Linux has booted and the TCP/IP stack is fully functional.

Do you have one of the router capable of returning a fixed IP address based on a MAC address? If so, then please instruct your router to return the same IP address prior the fault, or if you don't recall, you definitively have a range of possible IP address that the DHCP server of route can return and the range is usually in the router web server first page. The range is not normally big so you don't have the full 256 addresses to try.

Eddy