SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Sage Fanatic

MVP's

So, I find myself needing to install a MVP into my system.. the current version of SageTV is a bit too fancy for the old MVP.. is there anythere, any way that I can dumb Sage down to get the MVP working reasonably?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
So, I find myself needing to install a MVP into my system.. the current version of SageTV is a bit too fancy for the old MVP.. is there anythere, any way that I can dumb Sage down to get the MVP working reasonably?

Thanks!
I know that people are using the Old v3 STV with SageTV7 on the MediaMVP and it is reasonably quick, unfortunately v7 is far too slow to being usable...

Just run SageTV default STV on MVP first and patiently go to the setup menu and select the SageTV3.xml instead and you're done.

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 09-03-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

i'm running my mvps using the diamond stv. It's not bad, gets the job done but I'm also looking to replace all my mvp's as well.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Sage Icon

It's best to not use MVPs for a number of reasons. The video quality is bad. The audio quality is even worse. The MVP only plays back Mpeg2 format files, so if you record in another format, then the computer has to transcode the files into mpeg2 on the fly, which is very CPU intensive. A fast quad core should have enough resources to do the transcoding. If you have a slower single or maybe dual core, and the computer cannot transcode the files fast enough, then you will experience stuttering on playback. Another problem with the MVP is very slow GUI response times.

Today, the HD-200 and HD-300 cost is much higher than when the SageTV store was still open over a year ago. It won't be anywhere as inexpensive as it use to be to make the move. Another option is to build up your own client, but you need a client license for that, and it might cost even more. The longer you wait to move away from the MVP, the more it will probably cost. The used HD-200 and HD-300 used sales will probably dry up. The HD extender and client license sales have already dried up significantly since a few months ago.

Dave
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Sage User

Maybe I am misunderstanding the OP's question, but v7 works ok on my mvp...now I have been facing lockups that require a power cycle on the mvp, but I think it is just starting to fail. I too need to make the switch to a HD, but It appears I need to get my post count up to participate in the market forum.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use SageMC and it works pretty well. I've got 2 MVPs and a 200.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Sage User

My MVPs are still cranking along. Using the V3 STV definitely helps speed things along with navigation. I am using V7 so that I can access playon from them. It helps to set up the remote to get to your most used features quickest. Pulling up a recording is deadly with V7. If you don't use playon, V3 will work great.

Video and sound are fine for me. Then again they are being used on very old Sdtvs, a 13 in. and a 25 in. but that is perfect for the garage and kitchen.