SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sage v2 - "finished"?

I know that Sage has finally packaged up the v2 for public trial, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. I only have the one PVR-250, and can't really take it down for tests without affecting the recording schedule.

The main thing I wanted to know is if all the main bugs are out of the v2 release. I read 'bug reports' on it, but am not sure if people are complaining about the released version or older beta releases.

Does v2 have mouse support? Can it run USB-PVR-2 and/or the 250-MCE (the likely h/w I want to add to my system). Are the recordings the same quality as v1.4.10?

Anything else I should know about upgrading to v2? I have a spare HD/machine I'll play with to test v2 and even the v1.4.10 SageClient I never got working at some point soon.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:01 AM
Sage Icon

I don't think it is finished. I was able to keep V2 up on my system for about 5 hours on saturday. I currently have a list of 4 items that should be addressed by Frey. The most serious which may prevent me from going to V2, is that if you enable the UI on the 350 TV out, you lose resize ability. As soon as you enable the options SageTV seems to go to a fixed size on the monitor and the size cannot be changed. You cannot even go to fullscreen. The other items on my list are very minor issues. I have not yet reported these issues to Frey, I am hoping to get more test time.
BTW: There also is no user manual currently available (another item for my list).
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.

Last edited by carlgar; 06-14-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:04 AM
Sage Icon

Seems like the UI/350 problems won't affect ToonGal at all, since she doens't have a 350...

I've been running my box with 3 tuners in it with 2.0 for a week or 2, and aside from some codec problems (I've got too many installed, need to clean my install up a bit), everything seems to be working fine.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Re: Sage v2 - "finished"?

Quote:
Originally posted by ToonGal
I know that Sage has finally packaged up the v2 for public trial, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. I only have the one PVR-250, and can't really take it down for tests without affecting the recording schedule.

The main thing I wanted to know is if all the main bugs are out of the v2 release. I read 'bug reports' on it, but am not sure if people are complaining about the released version or older beta releases.
Appologies to anyone if I forgot their problems, but right now, the only two ongoing I issues I've seen on the board are some issues with the 350, and these seem to have been tamed a great deal, and the Activemovie window problem a couple users have, but that seems like a very strange anomoly.

Quote:
Does v2 have mouse support? Can it run USB-PVR-2 and/or the 250-MCE (the likely h/w I want to add to my system). Are the recordings the same quality as v1.4.10?
Yes, V2 has mouse icons now. You could always run USB2s with 250s (or at least you've been able to since USB2s were supported). MCEs are just 250s so yes they'll work, and the new Roslyn's should be fine also. As for Recording Quality, nothing's changed, it's the same hardware doing the recording, but depending on your thoughts on VMR9 and ffdshow playback may be better.

Quote:
Anything else I should know about upgrading to v2? I have a spare HD/machine I'll play with to test v2 and even the v1.4.10 SageClient I never got working at some point soon.

Thanks for any advice.
As always, do a backup before you upgrade, that way if you're not happy for some reason you can always go back easily. That said, the great majority of users are very happy with 2.0 and I'd guess that most have no problems.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

Re: Sage v2 - "finished"?

Quote:
Originally posted by ToonGal

Thanks for any advice.
I downloaded both SageTV and Client V2 the day they were released. Both rock solid on my Client/Server 5PVR250 configuration. I've had zero lockups or crashes. (Both were new clean installs of OS and Sage) Also installed Client on my wife's PC and my Laptop, not new OS installs, but also work fine.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've been using nothing but V2 since the 1st beta. with 2 PVR250's. No major problems here.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Sage Expert

SageTV V2 sometimes crashes when it finishes playing back files on my server. My clients are all rock solid though.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:13 AM
Sage Expert

I have been getting about a week between 350 UI soft lockups...I can recover by disabling then enabling the UI out.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wow! This is slick! I have invested so much time into customizing v1.4.10 that it will take a while to make v2 work. I really wish either (BOTH!) had export features and/or more things in the .properties files. My favorites alone will be a real hassle to convert over, and even then, it will start over with respect to shows watched / unwatched.

Probably going to have a Frey.v1 and Frey.v2 set of directories while I am in transition phase (at least sports are done, so no big problems there), but I like what I see. Great job guys @ Frey!

I might have issues / questions, but just installing it to a virgin Frey directory seems to have done the trick. Had some issue with the codecs selected, but switching to 'default' seemed to make it work.

I haven't been this excited since I started using v1.4.10 after that Vegas trade show! Thanks again for the help / advice gang.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:42 PM

You could always install 2 on-top of 1.4 when you are ready. Your settings and wiz.bin data will be used that way.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Like mlbdude said -- just install over the old version, or at least copy your wiz.bin file to the v2 directory before running v2 & all your favorites, watched, etc., will be kept. Also see this FAQ: What should I do if I plan to upgrade to a newer version of SageTV?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Deadbolt, I also get 350 lockups. I can disable/enable the output also. When I do this, however, it messes up what's currently recording - there's a brief pause and the file splits, so I have two files for the one recording. Do you have this problem?
Old 06-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Sage Expert

zz5,

No, I have not seen that problem.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Sage Icon

zz5, when you get the soft lockups have tryed putting SageTV to sleep and then awaken it again? I am still using SageTV 1.4 but find that solves some of my 350 TVout lockups. I also get other lockups which require a full reboot to resolve.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks. I hadn't tried putting Sage to sleep, but that sounds like a good idea. I should have tried that first. I don't normally ever put Sage to sleep, since I can't reawaken it with the remote, and I never use the keyboard and mouse unless I have to, because they're kind of hard to get at in my current setup (I know there are ways to use the remote to awaken Sage but haven't set that up yet because I want to get a stable setup first).

I've had about 5 350 output lockups in 10 days. Only one of those times did I have something recording. I'm not really even sure if disabling/enabling the output was what caused the problem. I just kind of assumed it was because the Sage UI seemed to refresh when I re-enabled. One 350 lockup caused a system lockup, and I had to reboot.

I'm suspicious that the problem is overheating. I don't have good cooling for my case, and I do have 4 encoder cards in it. I'm planning to get the card cooler soon.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Sage Icon

I don't believe it has anything to do with overheating. I too have had several lockup over just 2 days. I am currently at the computer because I had a lockup that forced a reboot, so I can't use TVout and insure good recordings. I encountered 3 issues relating to the latest 350 drivers that I will probably be posting tomorrow. I believe the lockup are related to using the skip functions, I also believe they are more likely when the 350 is busy like when recording also. This could lead many to believe it is a heat related issue. I have my case wide open and my temperature monitors are well within green zone.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Actually, the problem probably isn't overheating. It's just one of the things I want to check for. I know overheating was the problem with mikejaner's 350. I've had the 350 working without using 350 output with no stability problems. Before the first multi drivers that Narflex posted, I never had a lockup with my HTPC. It had 4 cards (1 350, 3 250's) and it worked great. If it was a heating problem, it seems like I would have had a problem before. Surely the output can't be all that bad for generating heat, especially considering that encoding is much more resource intensive. My guess is it's just an incompatibility with my motherboard and/or Hauppauge drivers. I still haven't tried the newest beta drivers. I'm planning to do that soon.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Forgive me zz5, but if you weren't having crashes before, why did you update the drivers?
Old 06-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

I was using old drivers that didn't support 350 output.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Ah, was wondering.