SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 AM
SageTVaholic

What is the current state of Gemstone?

I have installed Gemstone on my backup server but this doesn't have most of my content and it is hard for me to test it properly. I would like to try it out on my main system but a few questions:

Can I run Gemstone on some extenders and Diamond on others? I would ideally like to use Gemstone and get it configured without affecting WAF. How easy is it to do this?

Does Gemstone use more JVM than Diamond? I have 7 extenders on my system and once you start using more than about 3-4 Sage starts to get very unhappy. I rarely use more than 3-4 simultaneously but it appears that not all JVM is restored when an extender is shut down. Therefore if Gemstone uses more JVM than Diamond it would be problematic for me.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Hopefully some regular users reply as I have been using Gemstone for so long I don't recall Diamond use much anymore

However, we have had others report that Gemstone uses less heap and is faster than Diamond. It will not however handle all your extenders but you are aware of that.

There is no issue in running Diamond Legacy on some extenders and Gemstone on others...not sure the value other than adjusting to the changes as with multiple extenders all sharing a single menu setup there will be heap improvements vs some extenders running Diamond but YMMV

AND you might as well adjust as Diamond changes will be minimal or non existent soon

As info... There have been nearly 500 Gemstone downloads so far so it must be working for many...but I do understand that setups vary and I also understand the WAF as thats why I spend a lot of hours coding/tweaking sage

k
Old 10-13-2012, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks - I do realize that Diamond won't be supported but switching is largely an issue of getting Gemstone configured to my liking and making sure that everyone else in the family is comfortable using it.

After I download the Gemstone plugin will this affect anything in my current Diamond setup? Will I have to change my existing extenders that I want to keep on Diamond (for now) from using Diamond to using Diamond Legacy or will they just continue without any config changes as they were before?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

When first testing out Gemstone, I ran Diamond on 3 HD200s and Gemstone on the server "client" local PC. I loaded Gemstone on the family room HD200 with the intent of bouncing between Diamond and Gemstone testing. The wife saw it, gave her 2 cents on whay should be where in the menu options - and it just became the main interface.

While they coexist rather easily together, I think you'll find Gemstone a very easy transition. My 2 cents.
Extenders: 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-300 on Atlona PRO3HD66m
Sage: V9.0.14.567 with OpenDCT on unRaid docker, Gemstone, BMT, Web UI, PlayOn, TiSage
Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 PM
SageTVaholic

@MacDaddy - When you installed Gemstone did you have to do anything to your extenders that were running Diamond, or were they unaffected by installing Gemstone?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:10 PM
SageTVaholic

They should be unaffected as ALL the gemstone settings are new. All the diamond properties will be left unchanged.

k