SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Sage User

MKV stutters on HD300

does anybody have the recipe for getting the HD300 to play MKVs without stutter?

I thought I had it cracked, but I guess not. I recently ripped my bluray collection into MKVs without any transcoding. I keep both the AC3 and DTS-HD tracks.

When I started ripping them, I had flawless playback on my HD300. This was about 2 weeks ago. I then upgraded my server - applied windows patches etc, played with Gemstone on the extenter, changed my raid 0 to raid 5.

Two weeks later - every mkv stutters badly now. I've run into this in the past too. When I first got the HD300s (a week before sage got bought by Google) I had similar stutter problems on mkv then too. I've been troubleshooting across the board - lan speed, raid speed, etc. nothing obvious is causing the problem.

Googling seems to indicate that some people are in the works great camp, others have stuttering like I do.

Just wondering if anybody has cracked the code on making it work flawlessly?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

All of my blu-rays are in MKV formats - uncompressed. I have never had any playback issues on my HD200s/300s. My average MKV is around 20 to 30 gb.

My network is a gigabyte lan (CAT 6) and the videos are playing off a RAID array. I used to have lockup issues with my router when I had a consumer grade router but since upgrading to a entry level business class router everything works flawlessly.

I suggest you copy one of your MKVs to a USB drive and try to play it locally from a HD300. If it stutters perhaps the problem is with your files. If it doesn't stutter then the issue could be either your network or server.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Sage User

Hi Will,

Thanks for the reply. My MKVs are also in the order of 20-30GB too (makemkv). My lan is gigabit as well, switched. I have a decent 16 port gig-e switch, and transfers to/from the pvr-server are consistently fast. I will try with a USB drive - that's a good suggestion. At least it will tell me if the problem is on the HD300 or on the sagetv software on the server...
Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
All of my blu-rays are in MKV formats - uncompressed. I have never had any playback issues on my HD200s/300s. My average MKV is around 20 to 30 gb.

My network is a gigabyte lan (CAT 6) and the videos are playing off a RAID array. I used to have lockup issues with my router when I had a consumer grade router but since upgrading to a entry level business class router everything works flawlessly.

I suggest you copy one of your MKVs to a USB drive and try to play it locally from a HD300. If it stutters perhaps the problem is with your files. If it doesn't stutter then the issue could be either your network or server.
One more thing to eliminate - what firmware do you use on your 300s? The latest Beta, the latest stable one, or something else?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Sage User

I appear to have solved my problem - my netgear 24port GigE switch was causing problems. I swapped my 100meg switch back in and boom - problem solved.

I would not have guessed that given other than streaming everything worked perfectly.

Tags
hd300, mkv, stutter