SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Fresh install on new PC - Install at Root of C?

I'm about to reinstall my Sagetv on a new PC.

The new PC is Windows 8.1, and I've read about some issues, but hopefully things go smooth.

The new PC has a sizable SSD (240GB). I'm sure I've read somewhere about installing Sage to the root directory of C rather than the typical C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV.

Is this a common practice, and what is the reason for it? Does it have to do with getting around user profiles or User Account Control or something like that?

This will be the first time I've had to move my Sage, so any further tips are also welcome.

Since I'll also be migrating data over to the new hard drives, is there anything I should do with drive letter assignment. I think I've read somewhere to keep the drive letters the same? Is that the case? I haven't done that. Any tips on how to nicely move my media library over? (I've read and will follow Opus supplied http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30697 on how to move stuff to a new computer)

Thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post
I'm sure I've read somewhere about installing Sage to the root directory of C rather than the typical C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV.

Is this a common practice, and what is the reason for it? Does it have to do with getting around user profiles or User Account Control or something like that?
Correct. Mainly to get around any UAC issues you might end up with.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

No Issues on Windows 8.1. Rock Solid.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
No Issues on Windows 8.1. Rock Solid.
Another happy SageTV / Windows 8.1 user. My SageTV is installed in the typical program folder, and I've had no issues at all.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Sage User

Using windows 8.1 with great success the only issue I have is I cant use the services that wont start
Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbaugh View Post
Using windows 8.1 with great success the only issue I have is I cant use the services that wont start
You need to look into this Service starts fine in 8.1... are you using an administrator account? Are you using Java 7 32 bit recommended do you have the Visual C++ 2012 32 bit installed? Make sure SageTVService is stopped before Installing these.

Last edited by nyplayer; 02-19-2014 at 05:15 PM.