SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Is there a way of getting DVD playback through the 350?

Morning,

Just ordered a 350, only to find out that it can not display DVD playback.

I normally rip my DVD's to the hard disk before playing.

Is there a way to get the 350 to output via its own S video?

If not, bugger!

Simon.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:50 AM

In a practical sense not yet. There are ways to get the Video out as long as the video has no CSS(it's also currently easier if you use one giant Vob with no DVD menu structure). You need to use your soundcard for the audio and adjust(in Sage) for the delay caused by using a HW decoder for video and the soundcard for the audio stream. This is a very pouliar topic right now and there's lot's of info about. Honestly I really don't wish to talk about it anymore, nothing personel. I'm sure kny3twalker will be along and make a post about some more details(Just teasing you, kny3twalker You know I want this functionalilty as well ) In the meantime see this thread for a discussion of why it will have to wait, but will almost certianly be done by a user.

Last edited by justme; 06-29-2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Understand.

I wasnt interested in the ripping stuff, just the getting a display.

I will try and find out how to get it to do the Video out.

Last edited by edgley; 06-29-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:59 AM

Sorry, if I gave you the impression the subject is taboo. It's not and when questions are phased properly(Your question was perfectly fine)l there's nothing at all that is possibly wrong with asking/talking about it. I just meant I'm personally a little burnt on the topic, ATM.

I don't personally have my 350 card in my box(ATM) so my experience is old and even then mostly second hand info from others. I'm sure your search will turn up something. If not there are plenty of very knowledgable people on this particuliar subject. I'm sure they'll find this thread soon.

The key things are no CSS and that the 350 HW decoder can't handle the audio(DVDs are usually AC3 and the 350's HW deocder will only do MP2 audio). So you'll have to adjust the AV sync delay in Sage when using the 350 to play CSS free DVD video, since the 350 and soundcard(needed to play the AC3) will be at different points in playback relative to each other. I personally favor the giant single Vob file(without DVD menus), given Sages current state. But others may give you a solution more to your particuliar desires.

Sage will play DVD file structures ripped to the harddrive, but getting that to match up to the 350's output is the tricky area. So I'll leave that to others.

Best of luck.

/justme

Last edited by justme; 06-29-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

thanks!
Old 06-29-2004, 01:14 PM
SageTVaholic

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&threadid=6074

here's the link to the other discussion about it
Old 06-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

And that has led me to think:

Take the S-video out from my video card, and stick it into the 350.

Oh, not sure if it has s-video out

Time for the torch....

Darn it. it doesnt. Do I still have that G400 with the funny cable....

Yeah! got the card, now to find the cable.

Oh. Its in the loft
Old 06-29-2004, 07:03 PM
SageTVaholic

there will be some quality lose so if you decde to go that way make sure to use a high bit rate for encoding it
like 12 MB/sec or create a custom recording quality with some higher bit rates than the 3 GB/ hour one

look in the FAQs help on it

You should really look into ripping the DVD though if the picture and sound quality is an issue for you

you will get only stereo sound this way and the DVDs will be compressed twice much like you see when recording from digital cable or satellite

if you ripp them you can play back the video fine from the pvr 350 you will just have to loop the sound like you are doing the video for the audio but again you will get only stereo sound

but you can also just use the sound cards output to the TV/reciever and sync them (would not be hard and will work fine even when you use the TV functions of Sage not just DVDs)
this will be the only way to preserve the sound quality and multi channel audio of DVDs

your choice
a built in DVD ripper would simplify this
that is why I am requesting it from the studio users
once you got it setup put in a DVD sage rips it and ten to fifteen minutes later you are ready to go(while you make your popcorn) and would be setup in a format that sage likes and is sage friendly
with perfect sound and video quality
Old 07-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Sage User

Hey all... I posted this in another forum, but don't know if it was missed... Thought I'd repost...

Just wondering if AC3Filter should work with hardware-only decoding turned on for the PVR-350 in Sage?

I'm able to watch a large DVD rip to MPG video via the 350's video output, but no audio.

However, I am able to get both audio and video (via the PC monitor) through WMP and AC3Filter.

FYI - I do have my audio from my 350's output routed to my audio card's input. From the audio card, it's going out to my 2 channel speakers.

All of my audio render's are set to DEFAULT and there are NO other DVD codec's installed (no DVD on my Sage box).

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

- Pete
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

why not just the audio output from your sound card that will work
Old 07-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Sage User

kny3twalker,

I was hoping you or Stanger would see this... I don't have any good reason why I routed my audio from the 350 to my sound card...

But, if I'm able to get AC3Filter to work outside of Sage, and I'm using hardware encoding only to my TV, why no audio?

I've cycled through all my decoder settings under setup>Audio and DVD to to avail...

I also tried Radlight's Filter Manager to make AC3 filter I higher priority, but it didn't seem to work (I also wasn't exactly sure what I was doing either)...

Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2004, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

yeah cause you disabled software decoding
it will not work
I think it should work if you enable software decoding again
which means your processor will use more CPU usage
cause the AC3 will from from your sound card then still
not sure if there will be any sync issues
but if there are, why only use the sound cards output to the TV?
since the pvr 350 will not help but for TV

do you notice a differnce in sound quality when using the pvr 350 over your sound card?