SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Question Best Remote Control Replacement for Extenders

What is everyone's opinion on the best replacement remote for the stock 200/300 remote?

I'm looking for a simple remote that just controls the 200/300 and turns your TV on/off. I have a Logitech Harmony 650 for my TV with the A/V setup and it is okay; I don't use that TV a lot (just movies) and I wouldn't want to always use that remote. It has good build quality for a mid-range(ish) remote but it isn't as responsive and the stock remote.

I LOVE the Tivo peanut remote and actually use it with my iMac in the Kitchen to control my SageTV client (works with the built-in IR receiver). However, the remotes don't work well with the extenders - it doesn't send repeat commands properly when you hold down a button (in my opinion, this destroys the experience with SageTV).

Can anyone recommend a remote that is of the build/feel quality of the Tivo remote and is a "simple remote." I'm not a huge fan of the SageTV remote though it is very functional and works.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 03-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Sage User

I picked up a Universal WR7 remote from B&H, and now use it exclusively. Had to custom transfer the Sage commands, but works as well as the original Sage remote, except far more flexible.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:51 PM
SageTVaholic

I use Harmony remotes for everything - you can now get some models relatively cheaply and they can control everything else that you have.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Sage Icon

Does the Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote work well with extenders? I'm thinking of getting one, as HDMI-CEC sucks!
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 03-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm View Post
Does the Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote work well with extenders? I'm thinking of getting one, as HDMI-CEC sucks!
I have a Harmony 700 and it works fine. I still use the SageTv remote most of the time for SageTv though. While the button layout on the 700 is the best of the Harmony remotes (imho) it still doesn't match the SageTv remote.
I use the FF/RW/FF2/RW2 a LOT and while the Harmony does do them you just can't place them as efficiently (again, IMHO) as they are on the SageTV remote.

I have preferences for remotes that probably aren't in the mainstream. For me the 1st rule of a remote is HARD BUTTONS due to rule #2 which is the buttons should be arranged in "groups" so that they can be found by feel without having to look at the remote. Rule #2 is because if you are looking at the remote you aren't watching TV so you are being inefficient. and also the room should be quite dark to watch TV. (again, IMHO)