SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Sage User

License Key ?

I have already purchased Sage TV and my PC crashed and I'm trying to re-install and was curious how I would go about getting my license key? I have already e-mailed Sage. Is there another/quickeer way to get my license key?

TIA
Old 07-09-2004, 06:37 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Re: License Key ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Govnah
I have already purchased Sage TV and my PC crashed and I'm trying to re-install and was curious how I would go about getting my license key? I have already e-mailed Sage. Is there another/quickeer way to get my license key?

TIA
Are you implying that you didnt save the email that Sage sent you with your license key? Logic dictates you wont find your license key in this forum. Only way to get this info is from the vendor after they have verified that you purchased their product.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8

Last edited by cmaffia; 07-09-2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Sage User

License Key

I didn't save my email. I just back up my hard drive ever so often. I never had to call or email Sage tech support so I don't know how hard it is to get in touch with them. For all we know, there support may be in India, like all the other tech support. Then we have to assume they have records that you purchased the program. Ever called a company to get warranty service done. They always ask for a dated purchase reciept even though you submitted a registration form with the date of purchased filled in.

So, it is not to far fetch to ask if there is a faster way to get his key back. Maybe he was hoping that someone from Sage reads these post and would help him out.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Administrator

If you aren't going to save your emails for such things, I would suggest that you at least print the information first & file all your registrations in one place. That's always faster than waiting for any company's support to get back to you.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Sage Expert

Re: License Key

Quote:
Originally posted by BergoniaC
I didn't save my email. I just back up my hard drive ever so often. I never had to call or email Sage tech support so I don't know how hard it is to get in touch with them. For all we know, there support may be in India, like all the other tech support. Then we have to assume they have records that you purchased the program. Ever called a company to get warranty service done. They always ask for a dated purchase reciept even though you submitted a registration form with the date of purchased filled in.

So, it is not to far fetch to ask if there is a faster way to get his key back. Maybe he was hoping that someone from Sage reads these post and would help him out.
Who pays 80 bux on software and is so careless with its registration key??? If he's got the money to burn like that then the quickest way to get a key is to purchase it online... again

Had he actually emailed Frey that he lost his key he DEFINITELY would have gotten a response already. Call me cynical, but the original post sounded like someone trying to get something for free

P.S. Frey Technologies is based in California, it's run by 2 brothers. They dont have a phone number as all correspondence is through email to keep overhead low. They are a VERY legitimate company!
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8

Last edited by cmaffia; 07-15-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

I reinstalled recently, and it turns out that when my Wife was "cleaning" she threw out the registration key. I e-mailed Frey late on a Friday night, and received a response before noon Saturday.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by DFranch
I reinstalled recently, and it turns out that when my Wife was "cleaning" she threw out the registration key. I e-mailed Frey late on a Friday night, and received a response before noon Saturday.
And people are complaining about Frey not responding or acting fast on things in other posts. See how fast they are *IF* they have a solution to a problem
Old 07-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Sage User

I wouldn't say I have $80 bucks to burn to re-purchase SageTV. I just don't like keeping papers. It just clutters things up, even if I save things on my hard drive. Call me a neat freak.

Also, I can't believe that SageTV will prove free upgrades forever. At some point they will be asking previous owners to pay a upgrade fee or purchase a whole new version. From their FAQ " We will do our best to provide upgrades at no additional cost to our current customers" The key word is "our best". 2 or 2000 employees, it is still a buisness for money.

What am I getting at is, if Govnah waits a little longer, he may have to shell out another $80 to get a new version anyway. We all may have to shell out a few more bucks to get the lastest and greatest. Isn't that how companies generate revenus to continue supporting the program. If this was a pet project, the program would be free.

I am not bashing on SageTV. It is a great product which I use all the time. Well worth the $80. If the upgrades provide features that I desire, I may pay the extra money to upgrade.

The thing about service support... That was just a jab at all the Companies that bailed out on the US and went over seas, mainly India.

BTW, Govhan are you watching this post. Give us some feed back about Frey customer service. Your integrity is on the line. Tell everybody that you where not just looking for a free key and that you had a legimate copy.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:18 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by BergoniaC
I wouldn't say I have $80 bucks to burn to re-purchase SageTV. I just don't like keeping papers. It just clutters things up, even if I save things on my hard drive. Call me a neat freak.

Also, I can't believe that SageTV will prove free upgrades forever. At some point they will be asking previous owners to pay a upgrade fee or purchase a whole new version. From their FAQ " We will do our best to provide upgrades at no additional cost to our current customers" The key word is "our best". 2 or 2000 employees, it is still a buisness for money.

What am I getting at is, if Govnah waits a little longer, he may have to shell out another $80 to get a new version anyway. We all may have to shell out a few more bucks to get the lastest and greatest. Isn't that how companies generate revenus to continue supporting the program. If this was a pet project, the program would be free.

I am not bashing on SageTV. It is a great product which I use all the time. Well worth the $80. If the upgrades provide features that I desire, I may pay the extra money to upgrade.

The thing about service support... That was just a jab at all the Companies that bailed out on the US and went over seas, mainly India.

BTW, Govhan are you watching this post. Give us some feed back about Frey customer service. Your integrity is on the line. Tell everybody that you where not just looking for a free key and that you had a legimate copy.
his silence speaks volumes.. his one and only post was on 7/3... he was supposedly trying to find the "quickest" way to get his key yet he hasn't returned to see if someone answered his questions... and it's 7/17 now? He would have responded in his defense already had he returned.. I'd say he was busted OR Frey gave him the info on 7/4 and he hasn't bothered to return to his thread

Last edited by cmaffia; 07-17-2004 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cmaffia
his silence speaks volumes.. his one and only post was on 7/3... he was supposedly trying to find the "quickest" way to get his key yet he hasn't returned to see if someone answered his questions... and it's 7/17 now? He would have responded in his defense already had he returned.. I'd say he was busted OR Frey gave him the info on 7/4 and he hasn't bothered to return to his thread
Oh come on... first of all, technically it is not his "one and only" post. Second, how can you tell he hasn't been back to check this thread to see if someone provided an answer? I don't see a record of who has been reading this thread & no one _has_ to reply when given an answer. Third, I too had a problem years ago where a computer crash caused me to lose a license... it turns out there was an ini file sitting around in my backups that had it, but I didn't know where to look. While that isn't the case with SageTV, I don't find it completely unreasonable that someone could wonder if such a file existed in order to get the license back sooner. Could you be right that it isn't a legitimate owner's curiosity? I suppose so, but if it were me, I sure wouldn't feel the need to come back and defend myself against your suggestions that I was trying to steal the software... I would probably just ignore the comment and move on.

Let's just leave this at: If you've lost your license, contact Frey because no one in this forum will be able to get it for you. But, it is a good idea to save those registration emails and/or print them out for future reference.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
Let's just leave this at: If you've lost your license, contact Frey because no one in this forum will be able to get it for you. But, it is a good idea to save those registration emails and/or print them out for future reference.

- Andy

I suppose you could be right too.. Generally speaking,I just don't tolerate software piracy, especially when it's software that is the quality of SageTV by a small company trying to market something they worked very hard at creating.... and yes let's leave it at that.

Last edited by cmaffia; 07-18-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:25 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

For future reference, if anyone ever missplaces their key, just send us an e-mail at orders@freytechnologies.com and we will help recover the lost key. We of course verify your initial order to ensure piracy protection.