SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any threads out there on how best to rebuild your sage server???

My SageTV systems power supply died, so i replaced it after a day or two only to find that the boot drive is dead too. i;'ve got an SSD coming so I hopefully won't run into that again, but in the mean time, I can still access files, but not boot from it. Is there a best way to reinstall and get that configurations back? I'm using a cable card tuner, so I had that addin (that I don't even remember the name of) for that, and recall there was a bunch of config for that, and the channels in general.

Is there a doc out there or an existing thread that has a decent walk through of restoring a setup (if that's even possible)??

Thanks for any input!

Mick
Old 06-05-2015, 09:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I rebuilt my server recently and posted about my experiences in this thread.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBurke View Post
My SageTV systems power supply died, so i replaced it after a day or two only to find that the boot drive is dead too. i;'ve got an SSD coming so I hopefully won't run into that again, but in the mean time, I can still access files, but not boot from it. Is there a best way to reinstall and get that configurations back? I'm using a cable card tuner, so I had that addin (that I don't even remember the name of) for that, and recall there was a bunch of config for that, and the channels in general.

Is there a doc out there or an existing thread that has a decent walk through of restoring a setup (if that's even possible)??

Thanks for any input!

Mick
I hope this helps Mick.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/i...ng-sagetv-v7-0
Old 06-06-2015, 06:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the links to the setup guides. I've been using Sage since version 2.x came out, but never dug into it to use more of the features/options.

I've seem people talk about the Web plug-in and comskip, and always thought to myself....when I have some free time, I'll check it out.. LOL.

Recently, my HDHR Prime had issues and was rebooting (probably the crappy electric company we have), and I would come home and none of the tuners were working in Sage. I know I should put a UPS on the HDHR...again free time/money. Anyway, I finally got the HDHR past the HDHR issues only to have my recording fail....WTF?? I'd run through the HDHR config, SageDCT, and SageTV setup and everything would work. As soon as I'd try to view or record something....spinning circle of death...then finally a failure to record error. The SageDCT would see the HDHR, but couldn't pull info from it. Weird. I uninstalled HDHR, SageDCT and reinstalled....same thing. Turned out I had the PBDA box checked on the SageDCT menus. I'm running SageTV on Win7 x86, and it says use it for Win7. Unchecked it, and BINGO...everything works.

I was on the verge of scrapping SageTV for something else, but I could not bring myself to do it.

Anyway, thanks for the links....Looks like I have some things to do in my free time...
Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks guys!
Old 06-07-2015, 08:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBurke View Post
Thanks guys!
No problem. Post here if you have any questions. I'll provide any held I can.

I have a fairly complicated setup- 3 different types of tuners, tons of plugins (Gemstone, BMT, comskip, webserver, etc.), Plex, etc.- and I didn't want to have to reconfigure everything. I know I did various tweaks to my Sage server over the years, I wasn't convinced I could put everything back together if I started from scratch.

My experience showed that you can, for the most part, drop in your old SageTV directory to recover your old configuration- if you're careful. But, you always need to manually reinstall old programs and drivers. I didn't write up my thread as a guide, so a lot of details are left out. I'm happy to fill in the details where necessary.

I think going this route mostly helps you if you have lots of plugins and configuration settings that you're trying to recover. If you're just trying to mostly stock Sage up and running again, just dropping in your old wiz.bin file and re-configuring Sage by hand isn't going to be much more time (and might be faster).