SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

Client Install Hosed Server Install?

Had Client on my laptop and found it was not able to play some .mkv files - which played a-ok on an HD200 and ok under Server on the Server PC.

Trying to localize the problem, I installed Client on the Server PC figuring that if Client could play those .mkv files there, that would tell me something.

Beeeeg surprise: Not only does Client not work on the Server PC (some kind of Java error....) but my SageTV Server install is hosed: no SageTV.exe, no Service...

Now, of course, as soon as I try to re-boot from a memory stick to re-image the system the PC's BIOS is acting weird and I can't get a Boot Menu....

That being the case, I figured I'd put up the Client-Hoses-Server story here and see if I am the only one.

Hopefully moot in the big picture - once I can get this thing re-imaged - but inquiring minds want to know....
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 06-25-2015, 08:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
Had Client on my laptop and found it was not able to play some .mkv files - which played a-ok on an HD200 and ok under Server on the Server PC.

Trying to localize the problem, I installed Client on the Server PC figuring that if Client could play those .mkv files there, that would tell me something.

Beeeeg surprise: Not only does Client not work on the Server PC (some kind of Java error....) but my SageTV Server install is hosed: no SageTV.exe, no Service...

Now, of course, as soon as I try to re-boot from a memory stick to re-image the system the PC's BIOS is acting weird and I can't get a Boot Menu....

That being the case, I figured I'd put up the Client-Hoses-Server story here and see if I am the only one.

Hopefully moot in the big picture - once I can get this thing re-imaged - but inquiring minds want to know....
Don't know what to tell you maybe the install of the client on the server pc probably uninstalled the server.

Why would you even Install the client on the server pc why not just bring up the server SageTV ui it is the same as a client.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm pretty sure SageTV and SageTVClient install to the same directory by default (Program Files/SageTV), so if you didn't change that that very well could have hosed your SageTV install, especially if the server was running at the time, files may have been locked that the client tried to overwrite.

I think you can have both installed, but you need to make sure you install them to different directories.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'm pretty sure SageTV and SageTVClient install to the same directory by default (Program Files/SageTV), so if you didn't change that that very well could have hosed your SageTV install, especially if the server was running at the time, files may have been locked that the client tried to overwrite.

I think you can have both installed, but you need to make sure you install them to different directories.
Uninstalled Client, installed SageTV... and the problem went away... sort of.

Now (after an extra re-install to clear up something else) Sage is working normally when I open it on the Server PC, except that the "SageTV Media Center Version 7" splash screen never goes away... it just sits there forever with "SageTV Service is initializing".

The good part is that it does not stay in the foreground: the SageTV user interface covers it up. The bad part is that it's obscuring part of the Windows Desktop.

Any suggestions for a quick fix? Or are there a few more uninstall-reinstall cycles in my future?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I have not seen that before. Worst case, backup your SageTV directory, then unsintall, blow it away, reinstall, and then replace your sage.properties and wiz.bin.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I have not seen that before. Worst case, backup your SageTV directory, then unsintall, blow it away, reinstall, and then replace your sage.properties and wiz.bin.
Yeah... I think that's what is next. I was grasping at straws.

FWIW, using a TaskManager-like utility called Process Lasso I found four instances of things calling themselves "SageTV" open. Closed 3, got lucky, and the UI stayed open. One of the three must have been the Service...

Restarted the Service via SageTV Service Control and things look normal.