SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Miniclient?

I don't want to interrupt the fascinating work being done in the OS forums with a silly question, so I'll put it here. What is the "miniclient" compared to the normal SageTV client? Originally I thought it's what ran on the extenders, but I'm feeling now that it's something more.

Thanks in advance for educating me.

Bobby
Old 09-06-2015, 08:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Placeshifter and Extenders are both based on "miniclient", though the recent discussions here are all about Placeshifter (essentially).
Old 09-07-2015, 01:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Archetecturally, the difference is in where everything UI related is processed. In SageTVClient, the client itself completely processes the UI on its own. It contains it's own plugin configs, etc, only going to the server for the information it needs to do it's job. Miniclient, on the other hand, is processed all on the server, and the miniclient simple recieves input and transmits that input back to the server, which does it's processing of that input, and draws it's UI back to the miniclient.

This makes the miniclients much lighter in footprint, and more portable, as all they have to be able to do is receive input, and render what is sent from the server. Full clients certainly could be made for other platforms besides windows, and with the now much more powerful embedded systems out there, it might be worth looking in to, but miniclients will be much quicker to implement.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Gents!!