SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Sage Icon

Kodi

Hello All,

Now that sagetv is open source. Does anyone know if someone is doing a pvr API backend for Kodi?
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Sage Icon

Other than the one already there?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:SageTV

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:42 AM
Sage Expert

That one does not do live TV
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 09-24-2015, 05:27 AM
SageTVaholic

KODI backend for tv and. pvr function is horrible on a good dsy. it wasn't built for tv and the hack together way they added it is terrible. just look at the SD implementation as proof..my 2 cents. come back to sage nothing will touch it on the. tv end unless you need encrypted then hold out for SD own. pvr software
Old 09-24-2015, 06:48 AM
Sage Expert

I wouldn't say I disagree, but it is more than functional for what I use it for. I've got a handful of Android devices (phone, kid's tablet, android set top box) that I use with Kodi to watch live tv via nPVR. I don't use any of nPVR's recording or timeshift functions, only live tv. Kodi works just fine for that. I also use Kodi with a handful of other plugins so it has other uses for us as well. I use the SageTV addon for watching my recorded content.

Bringing in a SageTV Kodi backend would eliminate my need to run nPVR and be able to get the same functionality I have now without the extra overhead of running/maintaining two separate PVRs. That said, if things continue to progress with the Android client, then that may be the way I end up being able to get rid of nPVR.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
KODI backend for tv and. pvr function is horrible on a good dsy. it wasn't built for tv and the hack together way they added it is terrible. just look at the SD implementation as proof..my 2 cents. come back to sage nothing will touch it on the. tv end unless you need encrypted then hold out for SD own. pvr software
I'd just like to point out that it's not the backend that sucks so bad in Kodi, its the front end imo,. I'm using a mythtv backend and it is stable and works great. If some made a complete replacement for the Kodi live TV/PVR area I think there would be a lot of interest..
Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korny View Post
I'd just like to point out that it's not the backend that sucks so bad in Kodi, its the front end imo,. I'm using a mythtv backend and it is stable and works great. If some made a complete replacement for the Kodi live TV/PVR area I think there would be a lot of interest..
ya I meant more their api on what is available for backend but I agree the ui isn't built for it either.

as for above tablets and such sage will get there I fully believe
Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Sage Icon

For LiveTV, I just use the HDHomeRun App on Kodi, it does require HDHR network tuners. It works really well. I think if their PVR app works as well, I would give serious consideration over the open source SageTV.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Sage Expert

I tried but it didn't seem to work with the old HDHR dual tuners I have.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
Nope it does not work with the old tuners.
It works with.

Connect
Extend
Prime
Old 09-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Nope it does not work with the old tuners.
It works with.

Connect
Extend
Prime
I have the dual and the HDHR Prime, I guess it is using the prime.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I have the dual and the HDHR Prime, I guess it is using the prime.
As far as the DVR goes they claim they are busy working on the DRM Clients.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Sage Icon

There is an addon to access recordings but no live tv:http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?...ghlight=sagetv

They did a PVR API cleanup a few years ago but don't know if its the latest. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=97764
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:57 PM
Sage Icon

Kricker wrote this to access sagetv recordings. I reached out to him and he has moved on from sagetv. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=138838

I don't fully recall why this couldn't be done before open source but something because sagetv didn't have all the API available. Now open source, would it be easier to integrate?

Wondering if a coder (i wish I could code), could do something?

Old 09-29-2015, 06:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I know nothing about his implementation, or Kodi in general, but I doubt anything involving retrieving metadata and presenting items from sage is not able to be implemented via SageX alone. Shouldn't need to alter the sage API at all.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
Kricker wrote this to access sagetv recordings. I reached out to him and he has moved on from sagetv. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=138838

I don't fully recall why this couldn't be done before open source but something because sagetv didn't have all the API available. Now open source, would it be easier to integrate?

Wondering if a coder (i wish I could code), could do something?
Out of curiosity what is the advantage of this plugin in it's current state? I have written a renamer that is almost finished to rename sage recordings automatically for correct parsing in xbmc/plex would you be interested in testing it? To me that is the more functional way as you keep all the features of plex/kodi and with the files renamed it's more easy to use the files in multiple platforms.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Sage Icon

The addon allows you to access your recordings on the sage server.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...61&postcount=3

However, I don't know all the technical details but i think it was using the webserver and didn't allow you to see growing files, let you see live tv, set recordings, see the guide and so on. This is what mythtv backend can do: http://kodi.wiki/view/MythTV_PVR

The next version of Kodi is in the work and they will be using PVR Addon API version to 4.0.0 (whatever that means). http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v16_%28Ja...eo_Recorder.29

The other PVR backends that are implemented allow you to watch live tv, see guide data, set recording and such. During playback, Kodi will play comskip files. However, they are executed different ways. http://kodi.wiki/view/Edit_decision_list

I've been playing with kodi for a bit after leaving sagetv. I have 1 firetv and 3 firesticks and a windows computer and an android box and my android tablets running kodi. For me the learning curve was steep compared to beyond and sagetv but I'm starting to like the results. The issue is the current backend pvr are not as good as sagetv. I still run my sagetv to record but I get complaints from the family that they are not able to setup recordings from within kodi.

Kodi is able to to run on various devices: http://kodi.tv/download/

The main issue I have with Kodi, is there is no server/clients hierarchy like sagetv. There some ways around that but they will soon be going to that: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=212061 and using UPNP: http://kodi.wiki/view/Syncing_and_sharing http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_UPnP

The default skin is not my favorite. MQ6 is my favorite:
Check this out at around 45 sec (motion posters): https://youtu.be/3tBQWOz2m9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hr8oxlRMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONCjn6E6ks

Old 09-30-2015, 12:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Out of curiosity what is the advantage of this plugin in it's current state? I have written a renamer that is almost finished to rename sage recordings automatically for correct parsing in xbmc/plex would you be interested in testing it? To me that is the more functional way as you keep all the features of plex/kodi and with the files renamed it's more easy to use the files in multiple platforms.
If I recall correctly, they managed to pass some information back and forth between Kodi and Sage, which helped you to manage a few aspects of Sage from within Kodi, rather than needing to bring up Sage for all management duties. It was never anywhere near the point where you wouldn't need to go into Sage on a regular basis, though, and that was its Achilles heel.

While the renamer you're working on is great for getting your Sage media into Kodi, you need to bring up Sage in order to create and manage favorites. Additionally, I don't believe all the data regarding watched status is synced up between the two. Assuming that's correct, if you were to watch a TV episode in Kodi, Sage wouldn't know it (and vice versa). If you delete it from within Kodi after watching, Sage would probably see it's missing and re-record it.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 09-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
I would love to try this out. After the files are renamed to be Kodi/Plex friendly, does SageTV still see the shows in All Recordings, or do you have to copy the files out and rename them for Plex? I guess what I am saying, is I would love to have them be named properly in SageTV recording directories, and point Plex to that directory also.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:16 AM
SageTVaholic

it does move them to proper folder structure so leaving them in current location wouldn't work but IIRC sagetv metadata for recorded tv is in the file so you can move it and as long as that new directory is in your sage imports to you shouldn't lose it in sage. (someone will correct me if I remember wrongly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
I would love to try this out. After the files are renamed to be Kodi/Plex friendly, does SageTV still see the shows in All Recordings, or do you have to copy the files out and rename them for Plex? I guess what I am saying, is I would love to have them be named properly in SageTV recording directories, and point Plex to that directory also.