SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Sage Expert

I forked and cloned the git repo. I successfully ran ./buildall.sh. I moved my current installation. I laid down the new .tar.gz that I built. I copied my Wiz.bin and Sage.properties files into the new installation folder. I installed the .deb. I copied in the Gentuner object and my script. I started Sage...

Same thing. It core dumps when I try to use the Generic Tuner and It core dumps when I stop recording with the HDPVR. I watched all of "Ride Along" with the HDPVR and everything was cool until I hit stop. Then it core dumped again.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
BTW, are you running this as root, or a normal sagetv user?

Just for fun I decided to see if SageTV would run as a normal user. I created a sagetv user and group. chown'd everything to the new user (including the media directories and files). Changed /var/run/sagetv.pid to /var/tmp/sagetv.pid in the start and stop scripts. Then I added "su sagetv -c" in the /etc/init.d/sagetv where it calls the start and stop scripts.

It seemed to run fine as a non-root user. I did get a "warning: -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy requires root privilege on Linux" from java. My HDHomeRuns recorded and played back just fine. Everything seemed to work.

Until I tried to add my HDPVR as a source. It looks like SageTV needs root to control the HDPVR. So I changed it back to root.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:45 PM
Sage Expert

I have not used v9 yet, but I have a pretty simple script that executes channel changes for me using cURL:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

chanraw=$2
useSTB=$1
# printf 'Enter the Video Source Designation: '
# read useSTB
# printf 'Enter the channel: '
# read chanraw

case $useSTB in
     DSS1)
	IPVAL="31" ;;
     DSS2)
	IPVAL="32" ;;
     DSS3)
	IPVAL="33" ;;
     DSS4)
	IPVAL="34" ;;
     DSS5)
	IPVAL="35" ;;
     DSS6)
	IPVAL="36" ;;
        *)
        IPVAL="37" ;;
esac
if [ $chanraw -gt 999 ]; then
   chanpre=${chanraw:1:3}
   chansub=${chanraw:4:1}
   tunecmd=http://192.168.1.$IPVAL:8080/tv/tune?major=$chanpre"&"minor=$chansub
else
   tunecmd=http://192.168.1.$IPVAL:8080/tv/tune?major=$chanraw
fi
wget -q -O \dev\null $tunecmd
echo chanraw: $chanraw >TuneHold.txt
echo chanpre: $chanpre >>TuneHold.txt
echo chansub: $chansub >>TuneHold.txt
echo tunecmd: $tunecmd >>TuneHold.txt
echo useSTB: $useSTB >>TuneHold.txt
Old 11-09-2015, 12:36 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
I have not used v9 yet, but I have a pretty simple script that executes channel changes for me using cURL:
I wrote a script that uses curl as well. The problem is that SageTV crashes any time it calls the Generic Tuner plugin. I think it's an issue with the 64bit build of SageTV. It also crashes if I select the Firewire Tuner plugin.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turak View Post
Just for fun I decided to see if SageTV would run as a normal user. I created a sagetv user and group. chown'd everything to the new user (including the media directories and files). Changed /var/run/sagetv.pid to /var/tmp/sagetv.pid in the start and stop scripts. Then I added "su sagetv -c" in the /etc/init.d/sagetv where it calls the start and stop scripts.

It seemed to run fine as a non-root user. I did get a "warning: -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy requires root privilege on Linux" from java. My HDHomeRuns recorded and played back just fine. Everything seemed to work.

Until I tried to add my HDPVR as a source. It looks like SageTV needs root to control the HDPVR. So I changed it back to root.
Well, I do hope that you figure this out I run SageTV as a normal user, but currently I haven't moved from 32 to 64 bit. I run the 7x version of sagetv with the v9 jar, but my goal was to do a full upgrade to the 64bit version over the xmas holidays.

Hopefully Jeff can take a look at your crash report and provide some feedback.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Sage Expert

I'd gladly run 32bit if it solved these issues. I don't have a V7 Linux license (though I have multiple windows licenses) and I haven't seen anyone post a 32bit build of V9.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Sage Expert

So I installed the V7 32bit version and dropped in the Sage.jar from the windows installation section of the V9 FAQ. It's now changing channels perfectly without crashing. It's also no longer crashing when I stop recording with the HDPVR.

I'll keep my 64bit version around in case Jeff wants to troubleshoot these issues and needs someone to test.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Sage Expert

Now that it's working, I converted it back to a non-root sagetv user. I had to add the user to the 'video' group to give it access to the HDPVR.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Geez, 64 bit and tuning seem to not fit together well. Firewire drivers don't exist for 64 bit so if you go to a 64 bit OS your days of tuning via firewire have come to an end - at least that is the case on Windows.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Same thing. It core dumps when I try to use the Generic Tuner and It core dumps when I stop recording with the HDPVR. I watched all of "Ride Along" with the HDPVR and everything was cool until I hit stop. Then it core dumped again.
I came across this thread today after I ran into the same issues and was looking for a solution. After several hours of digging through the code, I may have identified what is causing both of these crashes. Slugger appears to be correct that the problem is related to some pointer and integer data types.

I'm going to do more testing later tonight and I'll let you know how it goes.
Sources: 4 x Motorola DCH-3200 (firewire channel changing), HD Homerun Prime, OpenDCT 0.5.7
Old 02-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

For anyone not following the other thread related to HD-PVR crashes on 64-bit Linux, the following code commit should fix that as well as the tuner plugin crashes:

https://github.com/google/sagetv/pull/75
Sources: 4 x Motorola DCH-3200 (firewire channel changing), HD Homerun Prime, OpenDCT 0.5.7
Old 06-07-2016, 01:17 PM
SageTVaholic

This script is working well for me turak - thanks for sharing!

One thing I have noticed on some other threads is that the genie mini can be controlled via HTTP also - just need an extra parameter to the url.
Code:
&clientAddr=MAC_ADDRESS_OF_GENIE_MINI"
It appears that you can pass in a 0 if you want to aim at the main genie itself. So to answer your question from the other thread - maybe a genie mini would do what you need? you'd have to get the component breakout cable.

btl.

Quote:
Here is my gentuner perl script for controlling my DirecTV Genie (HR44) if anyone wants it or if you want to add it to github. I added .txt extension so the forums would let me upload it.

Attachment 14953

EDIT:
- I updated this to support multiple STB's
- I was missing a : in the poweron command
Old 06-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
It appears that you can pass in a 0 if you want to aim at the main genie itself. So to answer your question from the other thread - maybe a genie mini would do what you need? you'd have to get the component breakout cable...
That's good to know. Unfortunately, the 4K capable (C61K) mini client is HDMI video out only, so if one is looking for a client to do double duty as a Sage STB then the earlier versions are better options ...
Old 06-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

One thing I have noticed on some other threads is that the genie mini can be controlled via HTTP also - just need an extra parameter to the url.
Code:
It appears that you can pass in a 0 if you want to aim at the main genie itself. So to answer your question from the other thread - maybe a genie mini would do what you need? you'd have to get the component breakout cable.

btl.
That's cool. I ended up getting a H24 though. I'm glad to hear that my script is working well for you.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Code:

btl.
I'm trying to use this with the unRAID docker sean created and I'm not getting a list of remotes. I modified the gentuner.ipstb file with the script below and nothing.

Anyone have any advice for a novice linux guy?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I'm trying to use this with the unRAID docker sean created and I'm not getting a list of remotes. I modified the gentuner.ipstb file with the script below and nothing.

Anyone have any advice for a novice linux guy?
Did you do this step from the GenTuner wiki

Code:
cp gentuner.LOCAL gentuner
where gentuner.LOCAL is your script... ie, gentuner plugin ONLY looks for a file called "gentuner" in the sagetv root directory.

https://github.com/jwittkoski/GenericTunerPlugin
Old 09-06-2016, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Did you do this step from the GenTuner wiki

Code:
cp gentuner.LOCAL gentuner
where gentuner.LOCAL is your script... ie, gentuner plugin ONLY looks for a file called "gentuner" in the sagetv root directory.

https://github.com/jwittkoski/GenericTunerPlugin
Yes. i have a gentuner and a gentuner.LOCAL file in the root sagetv directory, the server directory, and the gentuner directory and it isn't picking up my tuners.

Maybe there is an issue with my script?
Attached Files
File Type: txt gentuner.ipstb.txt (2.7 KB, 237 views)
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes. i have a gentuner and a gentuner.LOCAL file in the root sagetv directory, the server directory, and the gentuner directory and it isn't picking up my tuners.

Maybe there is an issue with my script?
That particular script seems OK... the question is whether or not the "gentuner" script is the same as this one... ie, the GenTuner plugin will only execute a script with the name "gentuner". Scripts like gentuner.ipstb is a "sample script that must be renamed/copied to gentuner before it will work.

If you have some linux experience you can run the docker container in interactive mode (ie, ssh into your server, and then run the docker command...

Code:
# docker exec -ti stuckless-sagetv-server-java8 /bin/bash
or stuckless-sagetv-server-java7 is you are running the java7 version.

this gives you a shell into your sagetv environment.

Code:
# cd /opt/saget/server/
# ./gentuner REMOTES
If that fails, then we start to figure out why.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That particular script seems OK... the question is whether or not the "gentuner" script is the same as this one... ie, the GenTuner plugin will only execute a script with the name "gentuner". Scripts like gentuner.ipstb is a "sample script that must be renamed/copied to gentuner before it will work.

If you have some linux experience you can run the docker container in interactive mode (ie, ssh into your server, and then run the docker command...

Code:
# docker exec -ti stuckless-sagetv-server-java8 /bin/bash
or stuckless-sagetv-server-java7 is you are running the java7 version.

this gives you a shell into your sagetv environment.

Code:
# cd /opt/saget/server/
# ./gentuner REMOTES
If that fails, then we start to figure out why.
It was a permissions thing. gentuner permissions were set to "nobody". I added root as a user and it found my boxes now. Thanks for the help.

Any advice on keeping the permissions in order? Setting as root doesn't sound like the best idea.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It was a permissions thing. gentuner permissions were set to "nobody". I added root as a user and it found my boxes now. Thanks for the help.

Any advice on keeping the permissions in order? Setting as root doesn't sound like the best idea.
What was the permission issue? The whole container runs as "nobody" and the permissions are set to nobody when the container starts. Just wondering what your specific issue was... maybe I need to tweak something there.