SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Universal Windows app for Xbox One?

Would this be feasible as a Sage V9 client? Or is it a no-go due to Java?

It wouldn't be the cheapest extender but for folks that already have an XB1 it might be a nice option.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post

It wouldn't be the cheapest extender but for folks that already have an XB1 it might be a nice option.
very pheasible and doable just takes someone with the time to do it. but allot what Stuckless has done with android should lay a good roadmap on the mini client side of things.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post

I don't believe Java would be required to run a sage miniclient at all. The protocol is proprietary, and could be implemented in just about any programming language/virtual machine. I don't see why a .net miniclient couldn't be made - it would just would be an almost from scratch project.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-12-2015, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I don't believe Java would be required to run a sage miniclient at all. The protocol is proprietary, and could be implemented in just about any programming language/virtual machine. I don't see why a .net miniclient couldn't be made - it would just would be an almost from scratch project.
Yes, I agree, but I think Plucky was saying that the work that I've done on java could still benefit someone that is doing a .net client. It might even be possible for someone to run a java2dotnet converter on the CORE project (not the android part), and get a jump start.

The current android miniclient is separated into 2 projects... "core" and "android". The "core" is stuff that is NOT dependent on android, and not dependent on awt, it contains all the communication logic (ie, protocol handling), and the preference handling, etc.

The "android" implements the necessary UI and Video parts to bring it to Android (which is a big piece as well).

It was done this way, because eventually, I'll likely add an "ios" project and start process using RoboVM + ijkplayer for ios. And I might create a "desktop" project that uses jogl + vlc4j to bring it to windows, mac and linux, as an alternative to the existing miniclient.

So, if anyone wants to push ahead with a .net version, I can certainly help from a guidance point of view, since I've had to get to the know the protocols pretty well in building the Android version. I don't recommend someone tackling it, if you don't have any OpenGL/DirectX experience since (for me at least) it was a daunting task to dive into the beast that is OpenGL
Old 11-12-2015, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

But I think the original question is could the existing SageClient run on Xbone and I expect the answer is no.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
But I think the original question is could the existing SageClient run on Xbone and I expect the answer is no.
Ya thats a no.

Like stuckless said it's doable I have looked at it but when I started looking at his opengl stuff it scared me away as I have 0 experience in video rendering code or opengl.

That being said there are two ways to approach it if someone wants too the miniclient way or build their own UI out of Microsofts UI API for universal apps that would access sagetv database. The problem with the later is you would lose abilities such as commercial skip.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:09 AM

I also started taking a look at making universal windows app I could run on windows/windows phone, but I don't have the time to devote to it right now, and I also have 0 experience with directx so I don't want to start until I have a decent amount of time, which I don't see in the foreseeable future.

I admittedly don't know much about about the Xbox One, but I believe if someone does get a universal app working, it should work with the Xbox One without many (if any) modifications. The biggest issue I see is I don't think you can sideload apps on the Xbox One, and I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft wouldn't publish apps to the store that connect to local servers since they couldn't test the app, but I can't find that documentation off hand
Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSage View Post
I also started taking a look at making universal windows app I could run on windows/windows phone, but I don't have the time to devote to it right now, and I also have 0 experience with directx so I don't want to start until I have a decent amount of time, which I don't see in the foreseeable future.

I admittedly don't know much about about the Xbox One, but I believe if someone does get a universal app working, it should work with the Xbox One without many (if any) modifications. The biggest issue I see is I don't think you can sideload apps on the Xbox One, and I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft wouldn't publish apps to the store that connect to local servers since they couldn't test the app, but I can't find that documentation off hand
That can't be because plex has a client on Xbox one.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
U was the OP on this and the question, at least in my mind, is that if someone rewrites the Windows client does it make sense for it to be a Metro app(or what do they call those now) that would work on Win8.1 and up, Windows Phone, Xbox One and whatever else supports Windows - maybe even that variant that runs on the RPi.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I think there'd be value in a miniclient based on UWP, that would hit Xbone, Windows Phone, and Windows with one set of development.

But I wouldn't want to see SageClient rewritten from the ground up, that would, in actually, be rewriting SageTV itself (Client and server use the same jar). What I'd like to see from SageClient is updated default/native support for modern decoders/renderers. madVR would be great.

Remember there's both SageTV Client and SageTV Placeshifter both for Windows.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Your probably right but I was thinking from the perspective that as we move into the future there will be fewer people using non-Metro versions of Windows so I shouldn't have said rewritten, I should have maybe said written.

For apps like Plex I wonder how many use the Modern UI app vs the traditional Windows application which I believe is called Plex Home Theater.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Sage User

I had started rewriting Sage in C# as I dislike Java, and I wanted to fiddle with parts of it. Mainly starting with trying to get the network protocol working...