SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
IJKPLayer still has problems playing H.264 Comcast files ... on the Nexus Player EXOPLAYER plays everything fine. Plus EXOPLAYER is more responsive IJKPlayer when it tries to close a file or open it to play takes a while. ExOPLAYER responds right away.

EDIT with RC5 I now longer get a picture when playing 1080I H.264 videos with EXOPLAYER but backed off to RC4 and it plays fine.

RC4 Is just a great fit with my Nexus Player and the mixture of recordings I get from Comcast it plays everything and seeks using EXOPLAYER
That's interesting, especially given that ExoPlayer didn't change between RC4 and RC5, but what did change was setting the Android Target. Not sure what effect that would have on ExoPlayer, but i guess it has some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
RC5 is by far the best yet for playing my 720p MPEG2 files with IJKPlayer. The video playback is smooth and comskip works well. The only noticable 'issue' is constant audio dropouts. These happen about every 2-3 seconds. It's not obnoxious but is noticable. I'm not sure what the cause might be. This is all on a Nexus Player running Android M on a wired connection.

The same recording does not play well at all in Exoplayer, however. The video does start but keeps playing the same the first five seconds over and over again. It's like it's resetting and starting the file playback over every five seconds.

At any rate, bravo on the great work!
I had an audio issue a few weeks ago... seemed like audio drop outs like you experienced. I rebooted my device and I haven't had it again.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Are you just on OTA I am on OTA and Comcast Cable. I am using OPenDCT for both ota and cable and I have no problem playing anything and seeking using exoplayer in RC4. If you are just OTA then you have no H.264 recordings.

These are the type of files I can record on my system.

MPEG2-TS 1080i
MPEG2-TS 720P
MPEG2-TS 480i
H.264 TS 1080i
H.264 TS 1080p
H.264 TS 720p
Media info is showing that I'm recording as MPEG2-PS for 1080i, 720p and 480i. I am strictly OTA. I'm open to using OPenDCT or anything else really if it works with the old dual Silicon Dust HD tuners. I thought those software packages were for cable card integration and not for OTA, but I'd certainly give that a try if the end result is better performance with the Android client. I'm guessing it feeds the client/android a better formatted data stream?
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 03-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I had an audio issue a few weeks ago... seemed like audio drop outs like you experienced. I rebooted my device and I haven't had it again.
I did reboot after installing RC5 but I guess I can try it again. It almost seems like the CPU on the NP can't keep up. It's almost like something is running in the background and is taxing the CPU just a bit more than it can handle while rendering the video/audio. I'll have to play around with it a bit more.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Sage User

Quote:

It also fixes the exit to homescreen issue as well.
I can confirm both the 'exit to homescreen' and 'hardware decoder listing' issues are resolved in RC5.

This is turning into a fantastic package.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I did reboot after installing RC5 but I guess I can try it again. It almost seems like the CPU on the NP can't keep up. It's almost like something is running in the background and is taxing the CPU just a bit more than it can handle while rendering the video/audio. I'll have to play around with it a bit more.
I know when I ran into that issue (the reboot helped), but before I rebooted, it attached the device to my computer so I could see what was going on. I could see a "chrome" task running every couple of seconds. I don't have chrome installed, so another app must be have been using some chrome library or something. it was odd to say the least.

The anroid miniclient when it's running will take a bit of cpu but nothing too taxing. it's doing more IO than anything. It will also take up a fair bit of memory, since it will buffer some video. I think the video buffer is at 4mb right now.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Sage Expert

I rebooted again and the sound is great! Fantastic work!
Old 03-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Did much change between RC1 and RC5 as I went from RC1 direct to RC5 and RC5 said there was trouble parsing the package on my Hisense TV where as RC1 worked with a lot of pixelation and such.

I forgot to mention I updated to V9 if that would change anything
Old 03-13-2016, 04:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
Did much change between RC1 and RC5 as I went from RC1 direct to RC5 and RC5 said there was trouble parsing the package on my Hisense TV where as RC1 worked with a lot of pixelation and such.

I forgot to mention I updated to V9 if that would change anything
I think the RC3,4 & 4 were TV ONLY apks. I'll be releasing a Tablet/Phone apk, but those RCs were for tv only. (they also have TV in their filenames, I think)
Old 03-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I think the RC3,4 & 4 were TV ONLY apks. I'll be releasing a Tablet/Phone apk, but those RCs were for tv only. (they also have TV in their filenames, I think)
Thanks Stuckless as I will grab RC4 and see if that installs - Do you plan on making separate APKs for TV and Tablet/Phone or do you plan on merging them
Old 03-13-2016, 05:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
Thanks Stuckless as I will grab RC4 and see if that installs - Do you plan on making separate APKs for TV and Tablet/Phone or do you plan on merging them
I think they'll be separate APKs... mainly because I don't think I change the min version (which will be different for phone) if they are all in the same apk.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Background music playback

One thing I do on the HD300 is start a random music playback then start a random slideshow. On the SHIELD when the music track changes, the slideshow stops like I pressed the left arrow, (back on the home menu screen with the selector on Photos > Random Slideshow).
Old 03-20-2016, 05:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
One thing I do on the HD300 is start a random music playback then start a random slideshow. On the SHIELD when the music track changes, the slideshow stops like I pressed the left arrow, (back on the home menu screen with the selector on Photos > Random Slideshow).
Not sure if you entered a bug for this, but you probably should.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:23 PM
SageTVaholic

New Version for both Phone and TV

So, I'm trying something new.. I'm trying to create a single APK that has the feature for both Android TV and Phone/Tablet.

This version should install on any Android device that is Android 4.4 or higher. If it's a TV unit with Leanback support then you should get the Leanback Launcher. If it's a Phone/Tablet you should get the familar phone/tablet launcher.

Something else worth noting. This is a signed release. You can use it to upgrade if you installed from the play store. Later if a newer release comes to the play store, then it will upgrade without issues.

If you have a previous RC version installed on a PHONE/Tablet, the uninstall it before installing this version, or else you will have 2 SageTV Icons. (you will need to reconfigure the client)

In this release, you can set your Client ID. I'd recommend doing this, in the setting, before you start connecting to a device. If you enter a MAC address, it use that. If you enter something human readable (6 chars) like "DEV001" then it will convert that to a Client ID. later if you re-install, you can then set the Client ID again to "DEV001" and you won't need to reconfigure the client when it connects to the sagetv server.

So, what I'd like is for people to do some testing with this trying to install it on various phone/tablet/tv devices and see what happens. In the emulators it appears to do what I what... let's see how the realworld works.

BTW... ExoPlayer is also updated in this release.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:08 PM
SageTVaholic

1.0.1 working fine on the S4. Launched after install as it normally would on the phone.

At this point, the only other thing that I'd like to able to do is preset the miniclient to use a specific player based on file extension, or encoding type if possible.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
1.0.1 working fine on the S4. Launched after install as it normally would on the phone.

At this point, the only other thing that I'd like to able to do is preset the miniclient to use a specific player based on file extension, or encoding type if possible.
Actually, for a phone, I thinking that it should always use IJKplayer. It doesn't do that today, but, in my mind, it doesn't make sense to use ExoPlayer when ExoPlayer doesn't decode ac3 audio... it just does pass through,which on a phone, isn't going to do anything.

I thought about doing what you suggested, initially, but there are just too many factors... ie, You'd need to configure the player based on video codec and audio codec and possibly even container, and that just leads to too many permutation... In the end, I just decided to use IJKplayer for my default player
Old 03-20-2016, 07:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Sean, I can't get IJK player to play any of the HDPVR recordings (black screen with audio only). Exo does, and is playing the AC3 audio fine it would seem. Is there some setting that I can change to get IJK to do it?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Sean,

If I haven't said it already, thank you so much for your work on this.

1.0.1 installs without issue on both my Fire TV and Fire TV stick. I found it interesting that the regular one has a hardware MPEG-2 decoder and the stick doesn't. This pretty much means to me that the stick will never be a great option.

One thing I noticed with ijkplayer is that if I have one failed video playback I have to restart the app to be able to play anything again. The most reliable trigger that I've found is to start watching something that wasn't already recording, then stop it. After that I can't watch anything else. Of note is that when I stop it, I get the busy circle for about 10 seconds. If I only watch things that are already recorded or are currently recording there don't appear to be any issues. This issue happens on both SageTV v7 and v9.0.4.232.

ExoPlayer isn't really an option since I can't get it to play anything without looking like a slideshow or just freezing shortly after playback starting. ExoPlayer also stops working completely if I change over to it after ijkplayer stops working. So the issue might not necessarily be the player itself.

On second thought, the ExoPlayer does work on the Nexus Player I have and it doesn't have the issue detailed above. The Nexus Player does have the same issue however if I am using ijkplayer.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 03-20-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Sean, I can't get IJK player to play any of the HDPVR recordings (black screen with audio only). Exo does, and is playing the AC3 audio fine it would seem. Is there some setting that I can change to get IJK to do it?
Do I have a sample of one of those vidoes? I have about 15 samples from people, but I don't recall I have one from you or not. If I do, then, all the samples that I have, I can play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Sean,

One thing I noticed with ijkplayer is that if I have one failed video playback I have to restart the app to be able to play anything again. The most reliable trigger that I've found is to start watching something that wasn't already recording, then stop it. After that I can't watch anything else. Of note is that when I stop it, I get the busy circle for about 10 seconds. If I only watch things that are already recorded or are currently recording there don't appear to be any issues. This issue happens on both SageTV v7 and v9.0.4.232.
So based on what you are saying, you can only watch a single video using ijkplayer, and then you have to restart the app? Even if you start and stop it normally. When I'm testing before a release, I'm playing 5-10 videos back to back... Now, I've never had a video fail with IJKPlayer... so maybe that is the key.

The 10 second pause when stopping seems odd as well. Many releases ago there was this issue in IJKPlayer, but it's been fixed for a long time. Since I use this miniclient nightly, I noticed when I introduced the issue... and then I fixed it about a week later. Your 10 second pause could be something completely different, but, it's familiar.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Do I have a sample of one of those vidoes? I have about 15 samples from people, but I don't recall I have one from you or not. If I do, then, all the samples that I have, I can play.

So based on what you are saying, you can only watch a single video using ijkplayer, and then you have to restart the app? Even if you start and stop it normally. When I'm testing before a release, I'm playing 5-10 videos back to back... Now, I've never had a video fail with IJKPlayer... so maybe that is the key.

The 10 second pause when stopping seems odd as well. Many releases ago there was this issue in IJKPlayer, but it's been fixed for a long time. Since I use this miniclient nightly, I noticed when I introduced the issue... and then I fixed it about a week later. Your 10 second pause could be something completely different, but, it's familiar.
From what I've seen, this only happens when I watch something live that was not already recording, then stop watching it, then try to watch anything else (including trying to go back to the live broadcast I just stopped watching). If I watch recordings already in progress or already recorded content the issue does not happen. When this happens, restarting the app is the only thing that appears to fix it.

This issue also happened on RC2 when I switched back to it last night just to verify if it was there too. I hope this helps narrow things down.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 03-21-2016, 06:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
From what I've seen, this only happens when I watch something live that was not already recording, then stop watching it, then try to watch anything else (including trying to go back to the live broadcast I just stopped watching). If I watch recordings already in progress or already recorded content the issue does not happen. When this happens, restarting the app is the only thing that appears to fix it.

This issue also happened on RC2 when I switched back to it last night just to verify if it was there too. I hope this helps narrow things down.
That's probably why I haven't seen it I've never used/tested live tv I only ever watch recordings in progress, or, pre-recorded. I'll have to setup a "dummy" network tuner and see if I can reproduce this on my dev machine.