SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
You may not even have to do any registry additions in the install. Save may actually populate it with details on first run.
At this point Sage just hangs on startup at backing up object database so I think its either registry or dll registration.

k
Old 01-07-2016, 06:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
At this point Sage just hangs on startup at backing up object database so I think its either registry or dll registration.

k
Yeah, probably DLL registration. The registry mostly contains entries related to the various capture interfaces that are preconfigured in sage, and some settings for directshow. Neither of which would really be required on startup (I think).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Update:

I was finally able to find a method to extract the MSI from the SageTV7 Wise exe installer so I could then run it through a tool called Orca to determine which files needed to be registered. I then added them into WIX to SelfRegister and that resolved a number of issues.

I then discovered that I needed to run SageTV.exe as admin to get it to launch (have not installed the service yet). That then allowed SageTV to fully launch except just a blank display. After debuging that pointed to DirectX 9 runtime needed to be installed. I manually installed that and SageTV is now running.

So I need to.....

- update the installer to include DirectX9 if missing
- add the default registry settings
- add the install of the SageTV Service
- AND configure the installer interface with EULA, EPG code etc.
- Oh...and then do the client (very similar) and placeshifter (minor I think) installers

Lots to do but I am getting closer.

k
Old 01-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

k
This is really great news! I think having a Windows installer will go a long ways toward (re)building the user base. I've been excited to get my friends and family hooked on Sage but don't want to expose them to the fractured install process.

Thanks for your work.

-uberpixel
Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would also like to thank you for working on the windows install. Sounds like your making great progress.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Update:

I was finally able to find a method to extract the MSI from the SageTV7 Wise exe installer so I could then run it through a tool called Orca to determine which files needed to be registered. I then added them into WIX to SelfRegister and that resolved a number of issues.

I then discovered that I needed to run SageTV.exe as admin to get it to launch (have not installed the service yet). That then allowed SageTV to fully launch except just a blank display. After debuging that pointed to DirectX 9 runtime needed to be installed. I manually installed that and SageTV is now running.

So I need to.....

- update the installer to include DirectX9 if missing
- add the default registry settings
- add the install of the SageTV Service
- AND configure the installer interface with EULA, EPG code etc.
- Oh...and then do the client (very similar) and placeshifter (minor I think) installers

k
Thank you for working on this.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for all the show of support....if I had ANY idea how much work this was I would have never started

Anyway....still making progress.

- DirectX9 components are part of the install and SageTV9 starts properly now.
- Folder permissions are now set properly so SageTV does not need to be run as Admin

Only 2 items crossed off but a big step regardless.

For those interested in testing I am not sure I will get something out this weekend as I also have a honey do list but I will keep this updated as I go.

k
Old 01-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am defiantly familiar with the honey do list, but if you do get something ready for testing I would be happy to test.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Wanted to add my thanks for your work on this as well - happy to see that the community is carrying on and I think the Windows Installer will help us get new users.
THANKS!
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 01-08-2016, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
For those interested in testing I am not sure I will get something out this weekend as I also have a honey do list but I will keep this updated as I go.
No problems, I can hold on a bit longer.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfofd View Post
I am defiantly familiar with the honey do list, but if you do get something ready for testing I would be happy to test.
Freudian slip? OR on purpose?
Old 01-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Spell check but still makes sense.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Question....

Is it a valid option to want to install BOTH client and server on the same PC or is this more of an OR option....client OR server!

I know the server can be run as a client so any value in offering the install of both?

BTW....good progress today. Registry and the service install is complete.

Working on the interface options and then EPG environment registration code next.

k
Old 01-09-2016, 08:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Another request....

Jeff/Opus/Others....

Does anyone have the png files for the installer? They would likely be a 64x64 logo file and a 165x400 sidelogo file.

I have not found a way to extract these from the MSI/EXE installers and it would be nice to include these if they are available somewhere.

Thanks
k
Old 01-09-2016, 09:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Question....

Is it a valid option to want to install BOTH client and server on the same PC or is this more of an OR option....client OR server!

I know the server can be run as a client so any value in offering the install of both?
I will answer my own question as I plan to change the approach and move to an installer built for each product....Server, Client and Placeshifter...same as the old way. I think it's cleaner in the installer project code for longer term maintenance and the only real downside is that users need to download more than one installer file. (It will also make upgrades cleaner).

k
Old 01-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Question....

BTW....good progress today. Registry and the service install is complete.

Working on the interface options and then EPG environment registration code next.

k
I think in the past it was possible to install both on the same PC. However, I'm pretty sure you had to install them to different directories - if you let them both install to the default location, stuff would get overwritten and would not work properly.

I can't think of a reason to do this in a production environment. However, it may be useful for a developer who wants to test stuff with only one PC.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-09-2016, 10:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Another request....

Jeff/Opus/Others....

Does anyone have the png files for the installer? They would likely be a 64x64 logo file and a 165x400 sidelogo file.

I have not found a way to extract these from the MSI/EXE installers and it would be nice to include these if they are available somewhere.

Thanks
k
I can likely recreate them for you if need be. Is that the dimensions Wix wants for them?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I can likely recreate them for you if need be. Is that the dimensions Wix wants for them?
That would be great....and yes...that's the sizes of the png files WIX wants.

I have included 2 samples from WIX

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png Logo.png (886 Bytes, 829 views)
File Type: png LogoSide.png (3.0 KB, 801 views)
Old 01-09-2016, 10:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quick and dirty to get you moving forward. we can tweak these a bit later when I've got more time.
Attached Images
File Type: png SageLogo64 on Transparent.png (5.7 KB, 329 views)
File Type: png SageLogo256 on Gray.png (40.0 KB, 306 views)
File Type: png SageLogo256 on Transparent.png (34.1 KB, 307 views)
File Type: png SageLogo64 on Gray.png (5.2 KB, 303 views)

Old 01-09-2016, 11:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Quick and dirty to get you moving forward. we can tweak these a bit later when I've got more time.
Thanks...I will add these in for now.

Jeff also pm'd me and said he has the originals and can send them to me in a couple of days.

k