SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Update:

I am making good progress. I chased a video playback (or lack of) issue all morning and finally found a DLL that was not registered. I have a few more to check out but the client installs and connects to a server and plays video

I have to head out for a bit but hope to have something for people to test with later today (HOPEFULLY).

Still to do - EPG license key to environment, cleanup some unused files and check a few more DLL's to register.

k
Old 01-10-2016, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Great work!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Maybe this is a stupid question, but would this installer be safe to use for upgrades from Sage v7? (I realize there are instructions for a manual upgrade. I'm mostly just curious.)
Old 01-10-2016, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Maybe this is a stupid question, but would this installer be safe to use for upgrades from Sage v7? (I realize there are instructions for a manual upgrade. I'm mostly just curious.)
In theory YES. This will all need testing before using it in a production solution but in all my tests on my virtual machine the new installer was able to install over v7 or on a clean system.

There are caveats though. As this is a new installer system and NOT an update to the old installer system, the install of v9 OVER top of V7 could NOT be uninstalled and still leave the V7 system in tact. Likely, you could uninstall V9 and then install V7 on top and return to a V7 system as neither installer (old or new) touch settings or Wiz files. But this needs testing too.

k
Old 01-10-2016, 10:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I see you're using Wix Toolset. We are using the same software for the Windows packages in OpenDCT. I'm not an expert, but I did gain a fair amount of experience. As you've probably noticed, it will take a little time to become antiquated with how it all works. Let me know if you would like any help.

I was considering packaging a version of Java with OpenDCT, but then I figured I'd need to get some kind of consent from Oracle to "redistribute" it and determined that it was too much hassle. I just wanted to put that out there. It might be easier to do a detection and notify the user if it's missing that they need to install it.

Feel free to borrow any ideas or scripts from the OpenDCT project. The folders that would interest you most would be scripts/wix and distribution/images. We basically use Gradle to put all of the files the way we want them in a folder, then run these scripts to package it up.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 01-10-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I see you're using Wix Toolset. We are using the same software for the Windows packages in OpenDCT. I'm not an expert, but I did gain a fair amount of experience. As you've probably noticed, it will take a little time to become antiquated with how it all works. Let me know if you would like any help.

I was considering packaging a version of Java with OpenDCT, but then I figured I'd need to get some kind of consent from Oracle to "redistribute" it and determined that it was too much hassle. I just wanted to put that out there. It might be easier to do a detection and notify the user if it's missing that they need to install it.

Feel free to borrow any ideas or scripts from the OpenDCT project. The folders that would interest you most would be scripts/wix and distribution/images. We basically use Gradle to put all of the files the way we want them in a folder, then run these scripts to package it up.
Great to hear we used the same tool...I will browse what you did and feel free to use any part from mine as well as they are in my sagetv fork and hopefully will be merged in soon when I am done.

As for Java it is freely redistributable. The license and readme are long but clear on this so I have it bundled along with directx9, vc100 and vc140 by using the burn toolset. This make the package large but more complete.

I had never done this before so I too had lots to learn but almost there. I have scripted what i can in the vs 2015 environment using heat and hope in the end that anyone that builds the windows projects will be easily able to build the new installer as well.

The first test release might come out today....I hope.

k
Old 01-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Sage

Here's those 2 image files...I can't do attachments in PMs, so I'm posting them here. They are both BMP files...they don't match the size you mentioned, but it looks like the actual graphic area does...the rest of it is just white.
Attached Files
File Type: zip InstallerImages.zip (59.0 KB, 218 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Here's those 2 image files...I can't do attachments in PMs, so I'm posting them here. They are both BMP files...they don't match the size you mentioned, but it looks like the actual graphic area does...the rest of it is just white.
Thanks. I actually just finished creating the first beta and uploading as we speak so I will check these out in the next updates.

k
Old 01-11-2016, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks; I'll take a look. I chose Wix because it's what I hear Microsoft uses internally and being open source, it just feels like a good fit.

Just out of curiosity, you'll notice that I ended up scripting all of my firewall rules. It appears that Microsoft is no longer hosting the advanced firewall schema on their website or I'm doing something incorrectly. Were you able to get that working or is that not even on the radar yet? You'll see the comments in the OpenDCT Product.wxs and the right markup as far as I can determine from their documentation is there, but when I try to compile the installer, it complains that the schema doesn't exist. So until I can sort that it it remains commented out and replaced with a batch file.

I'm very excited to finally have a formal way to install the open source SageTV. This was an adoption barrier we were discussing about OpenDCT. When you make it easy to install something you'll draw a lot more interest. SageTV needs new users and this will help draw them in.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, you'll notice that I ended up scripting all of my firewall rules. It appears that Microsoft is no longer hosting the advanced firewall schema on their website or I'm doing something incorrectly. Were you able to get that working or is that not even on the radar yet? You'll see the comments in the OpenDCT Product.wxs and the right markup as far as I can determine from their documentation is there, but when I try to compile the installer, it complains that the schema doesn't exist. So until I can sort that it it remains commented out and replaced with a batch file.
I used the fire:FirewallException element in WIX...see example below.

Code:
      <Component Id="cmpSageTV.exe" Guid="{1BA2CC3E-EA22-4F4E-BE88-262C8E56A98B}">
          <File Id="filSageTV.exe" KeyPath="yes" Source="..\..\..\native\Build\Release\SageTV.exe">
            <fire:FirewallException Id="FWXSageTVEXETCP" Name="SageTV TCP" Protocol="tcp" Scope="any"/>
            <fire:FirewallException Id="FWXSageTVEXEUDP" Name="SageTV UDP" Protocol="udp" Scope="any"/>
          </File>
      </Component>
You need to include the following as well in the definitions at the top of the Product file...

xmlns:fire="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/FirewallExtension"

AND add a project reference to "WixFirewallExtension".

It was actually pretty simple once I found some examples (which are lacking for WIX...at least good ones are).

I will PUSH my current stuff soon so you can browse it too.

k
Old 01-11-2016, 02:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Testers WANTED

The V9 Windows Installers for the Server and Client are ready for testing. I will also update the first post with the links.

Version 9.0.3.178 here...

NOTE: This needs to be considered a BETA installer at this time and should NOT be used for a production system.

I have performed MANY installs, clean, over V7, over a variety of V9 builds, client and server on the same machine etc so in theory it's all working but I could not possibly test all scenarios so as much testing and feedback as I can get will be great.

To aid in testing I am uploading a 9.0.3.178 version set and a 9.0.3.194 version set. This will help with testing an upgrade scenario. The ONLY difference in these 2 versions is that the Sage.jar and SageTV7.xml changed as well as I performed a build on the SageTV Launchers with the internal version number updated.

Note on versioning: WIX does not use the last part of the version number to differentiate newer/older versions so it really sees both 178 and 194 as the SAME version 9.0.3. I have tested with a 9.0.2 installer and it did prevent installing the old over the new. As well, the original V7 installer is a VERY different product as far as the installer is concerned....so it will install OVER it if you use the same folder BUT it will NOT perform any type of UPDATE as it would for a newer version of the same product (as V9 will now be). We will be able to see this whenever we go to 9.0.4.

For now the files have been named with the SageTV version (9.0.3.194) with the installer version (currently 0.001) appended after "beta"....so "SageTVClientSetup_9.0.3.194_beta0.001.exe" for example. This will help track what has been tested and/or found for issues in each version. As well the installer screens show the SageTV version as well as the installer version to help us track this.

The files are rather large - approx 90MB - about a 1/3 larger than the V7 but they do include 2 different VS runtimes, Directx9 as well as Java 1.7.

Re Java 1.7 - in theory the installer will not install 1.7 IF you already have 1.7 or newer installed so please test this (I have not yet). IF you would prefer 1.8 then just ensure it is installed PRIOR to running the SageTV V9 installer.

Please post issues/comments in this Thread....if it gets unruly (too many issues ) then I will setup an Issues tracker somewhere or we will just use the SageTV GitHub one perhaps.

On my TODO list....
  • Add a Launch button to the Setup Complete dialog to launch the SageTV Client or as in the Server, the Service Control app.
  • Work on the build environment so it can be pulled into the SageTV repo and other Windows developers can share in my fun
  • Get back to Gemstone2 and Phoenix
k
Old 01-11-2016, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
I used the fire:FirewallException element in WIX...see example below.

Code:
      <Component Id="cmpSageTV.exe" Guid="{1BA2CC3E-EA22-4F4E-BE88-262C8E56A98B}">
          <File Id="filSageTV.exe" KeyPath="yes" Source="..\..\..\native\Build\Release\SageTV.exe">
            <fire:FirewallException Id="FWXSageTVEXETCP" Name="SageTV TCP" Protocol="tcp" Scope="any"/>
            <fire:FirewallException Id="FWXSageTVEXEUDP" Name="SageTV UDP" Protocol="udp" Scope="any"/>
          </File>
      </Component>
You need to include the following as well in the definitions at the top of the Product file...

xmlns:fire="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/FirewallExtension"

AND add a project reference to "WixFirewallExtension".

It was actually pretty simple once I found some examples (which are lacking for WIX...at least good ones are).

I will PUSH my current stuff soon so you can browse it too.

k
That's strange. I must have missed something important. I did everything you have there and it still wasn't working.

Update: Never mind. I know what the issue was. I'm doing this completely on the command line and I didn't realize I needed to pass the extension to candle too. I was only passing it to light. I agree on the lack of tutorials/information and a lot of what you will find is outdated.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 01-11-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's strange. I must have missed something important. I did everything you have there and it still wasn't working.
One thing I did find was that each item needs to have a unique ID and Name otherwise the rules do not get created properly.

I do know that the rules are created by the installer...however, I did not do much testing to see if the rules work fully....that will come in time as people test this out.

k
Old 01-11-2016, 03:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Trust me, I know all about the unique id's. When you get those mixed up, candle is very good at telling you all about it.

Thanks for the little push you gave me. It made me think just a little more about the problem and it's finally resolved.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Did a client install on Win7-64 with no real issues. Only feedback I have is the verbiage on the installer welcome screen where "continue" "options" and "close" are inconsistently capitalized.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
Did a client install on Win7-64 with no real issues. Only feedback I have is the verbiage on the installer welcome screen where "continue" "options" and "close" are inconsistently capitalized.
Odd. I have not tried Win 7 but this is what I get for those on my test VM...

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (4.7 KB, 764 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Now with my tester hat on

I created a mixed environment with a SageTV V7 install updated manually to V9 by following the FAQ.

I then ran the new installer for version 9.0.3.194 (client).

I found that Sage.jar and SageTV7.xml did NOT update to the new versions. I did the install with logging on and noticed that the installer sees these files as "Existing file is unversioned but modified" so it "won't overwrite".

I will need to investigate IF I can/should fix this.

A solution is that if you uninstall the V7 client and then install the V9 it is successful and as the uninstall does not remove files created by the user/system then the client works properly and all settings are retained.

k
Old 01-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Odd. I have not tried Win 7 but this is what I get for those on my test VM...

Sorry, I was referring to the instructions on that screen. "Click install to continue, options to set the install directory or Close to exit."
Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 PM
SageTVaholic

I ran the installer in a VM that already has Java 8 Update 66 32-bit installed and it went ahead and installed Java 7 Update 79 32-bit. I like automation. Automating installations is actually a part of my day job, but I liked that the old SageTV installation left it up to me to click Next for the Java installation and I could just Cancel it if I wasn't interested in having that version installed. I imagine you would prefer having some sort of detection sort this out instead of having something pop up like that and that of course will give the experience a seamless clean feel. I know you're very early in this and this is the only thing I can think of that might bug some users about the installer.

I see that you're using some method of detection (product codes?) since I saw on re-installation the redistributables didn't try to install a second time. If you are using product codes and newer revisions of redistributables come out, it can break your installer when it tries to install the slightly older version can it can't. I've seen this happen in many forms. For example, you might be surprised at how many versions of what appears to be the same C++ library there really are.

As for the client installation which is what I was playing with, it appears to be working very well. Very nice. I hope we eventually get something that reads v9 on our splash screen, but that's probably not your problem. I know there was a thread full of suggestions; I don't know if it went anywhere.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for testing java...I will repeat the test with logging (run from cmd with /log .\log.txt) and see why the test fails.

I may just add a checkbox to the welcome or options dialog for the java install or launch it with its interface and make it not required so you could cancel... I will try some options as time permits.

k