SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Testing installer on a pristine Windows 7 32 bit VM I found something that is not an installer problem but will be an issue for first time users.

After installation completes, the SageTV first run wizard takes you through the system setup and device and EPG setup, but I get an error trying to connect to the EPG server. I know this will mean updating application code, but the setup wizard needs to be modified regarding the EPG setup.

Next, I assumed that the EPG server connection failure may have been due to no activation key in SageTV, so I exited out and ran "SageTV REGISTER" which on version 7 would have prompted me to enter my activation information and key. This didn't work in the V9 install, so I am unable to enter the key.

The end result is as a new user I still wouldn't have a usable system. I'll go through setting up an alternate EPG source and document the steps. May take a few days...
Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Testing installer on a pristine Windows 7 32 bit VM I found something that is not an installer problem but will be an issue for first time users.

After installation completes, the SageTV first run wizard takes you through the system setup and device and EPG setup, but I get an error trying to connect to the EPG server. I know this will mean updating application code, but the setup wizard needs to be modified regarding the EPG setup.

Next, I assumed that the EPG server connection failure may have been due to no activation key in SageTV, so I exited out and ran "SageTV REGISTER" which on version 7 would have prompted me to enter my activation information and key. This didn't work in the V9 install, so I am unable to enter the key.

The end result is as a new user I still wouldn't have a usable system. I'll go through setting up an alternate EPG source and document the steps. May take a few days...
On the options page of the install there is a field to enter your license key...I guess if you do not enter it then there is no second chance except by manually adding the key to the environment variables as per the FAQ.

New users do not need this as keys are no longer available but for existing sage users someone could readd the REGISTER cmd and make it add the environment variable

k
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Setting the environment variable addressed the problem for SageTV users and is probably sufficient,
Old 01-12-2016, 02:01 AM
SageTVaholic

We certainly need to do some front-end work in the default STV to inform about the EPG availability - but that's not really an installer issue.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-12-2016, 08:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Installed SageTVClient on a clean Install of windows 10 Pro using the Installer it Installed with no problems at all .... great Job... It Installed java and all necessary runtimes.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-12-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Installed SageTVClient on a clean Install of windows 10 Pro using the Installer it Installed with no problems at all .... great Job... It Installed java and all necessary runtimes.
Excellent. Thanks for testing
Old 01-12-2016, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I ran the installer in a VM that already has Java 8 Update 66 32-bit installed and it went ahead and installed Java 7 Update 79 32-bit. I like automation. Automating installations is actually a part of my day job, but I liked that the old SageTV installation left it up to me to click Next for the Java installation and I could just Cancel it if I wasn't interested in having that version installed. I imagine you would prefer having some sort of detection sort this out instead of having something pop up like that and that of course will give the experience a seamless clean feel. I know you're very early in this and this is the only thing I can think of that might bug some users about the installer.
This has been resolved. I tested a 1.6 install where 1.7 was installed correctly and a 1.8 install where 1.7 was NOT installed.

This will be in the next installer release.

I also fixed my check for the C++ versions as it was being more specific than it needed to be.

Thanks for testing.

k
Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Excellent. Thanks for testing
I noticed Java Heap is set to something like 779 ... I did a search on my registry and it cannot find JVMMaxHeapSizeMB.

Also.
If I have a key do I have to enter it in the registry in SAGETVUSERKEY

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-12-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I noticed Java Heap is set to something like 779 ... I did a search on my registry and it cannot find JVMMaxHeapSizeMB.
I do not set the heap at all in the installer so that must be the default the system uses IF there is no other setting in the registry.

Quote:
Also.
If I have a key do I have to enter it in the registry in SAGETVUSERKEY
On the SageTV server installer on the Options page before clicking Install....you can enter the license key which will automagically create the environment variable. Perhaps I need to make that fact clearer on the welcome dialog so people do not miss it....however, as entering a key is really something ONLY for us old timers that have keys then I figured a small mention of it in the welcome message and having it on the Options dialog would suffice.

k
Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I do not set the heap at all in the installer so that must be the default the system uses IF there is no other setting in the registry.
Correct, this default is in the code of the .exe file. It was raised to that value in v9 from the old (excessively low) value from earlier versions. 'most' users would not ever need to change it from this value, as it SHOULD be sufficient for most.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Correct, this default is in the code of the .exe file (768MB). It was raised to that value in v9 from the old (excessively low) 384MB value from earlier versions. 'most' users would not ever need to change it from this value, as it SHOULD be sufficient for most.

That said, on first run, it SHOULD be adding the value to the registry and setting it to 300h (768MB), so you SHOULD be able to find it in the registry after sage has been run the first time.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-12-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

On the SageTV server installer on the Options page before clicking Install....you can enter the license key which will automagically create the environment variable. Perhaps I need to make that fact clearer on the welcome dialog so people do not miss it....however, as entering a key is really something ONLY for us old timers that have keys then I figured a small mention of it in the welcome message and having it on the Options dialog would suffice.

k
No java Heap in registry to change restarted several times.

How do you enter the User name and the key what is the format ... I just entered the key and could not access the epg.

Need to be able to update the Java Heap size on server to 1024 highest possible.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-12-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
How do you enter the User name and the key what is the format ... I just entered the key and could not access the epg.
You do not enter the name...only the key and then there should be a System Environment Variable called SAGETVUSERKEY created after the install completes. If the EV is not created then there is a bug.

To get me a log you would need to run the installexe from the Command Prompt and add /log .\log.txt and zip the log file to me.

Thanks
k
Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That said, on first run, it SHOULD be adding the value to the registry and setting it to 300h (768MB), so you SHOULD be able to find it in the registry after sage has been run the first time.
In all my testing neither client nor server create that registry key on first run.

k
Old 01-12-2016, 10:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You do not enter the name...only the key and then there should be a System Environment Variable called SAGETVUSERKEY created after the install completes. If the EV is not created then there is a bug.

To get me a log you would need to run the installexe from the Command Prompt and add /log .\log.txt and zip the log file to me.

Thanks
k
It is created but I thought the Key is associated with a username. It does not work unless you have the correct key and user name .. has this changed???
Old 01-12-2016, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It is created but I thought the Key is associated with a username. It does not work unless you have the correct key and user name .. has this changed???
The key was hashed with the name for the local software to verify that it was a valid key (if the name, hashed a certain way, resulted in the entered key, the key was considered valid and the software was unlocked. The EPG server, however, has it's own database of all valid keys (seems to be lacking for older keys or keys that have not been used for a long time), so there's no reason to do the hash check - so now, all that is needed is to enter a key that is in the EPG server's database.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
According the the V9 FAQ only the license key is needed in the variable.

k
Old 01-12-2016, 10:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The key was hashed with the name for the local software to verify that it was a valid key (if the name, hashed a certain way, resulted in the entered key, the key was considered valid and the software was unlocked. The EPG server, however, has it's own database of all valid keys (seems to be lacking for older keys or keys that have not been used for a long time), so there's no reason to do the hash check - so now, all that is needed is to enter a key that is in the EPG server's database.
That is ok for now ... I am using the Schedules Direct plugin to test. As most new users will not have a key.

As far as the Google EPG goes if I replace the exe with the ones that were posted a while back it worked... I think they might have been the exe that you can use version 6 keys.

So the only outstanding issue appears to be the java heap ... even though I still am not satisfied that if I replace the executables I get native supported epg.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-12-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

The EXE should have no bearing on communications with the EPG. that is all handled by the JVM. If you have a v6 key that is not working with the EPG, it is because that key is not in the EPG's database, and it would not work with any version of sagetv. You'd need to contact Jeff to get the key added to the database.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The EXE should have no bearing on communications with the EPG. that is all handled by the JVM. If you have a v6 key that is not working with the EPG, it is because that key is not in the EPG's database, and it would not work with any version of sagetv. You'd need to contact Jeff to get the key added to the database.
Well it worked with the old exe and not the new exe. I have been using sageTV for a long time so believe me when I tell you that scenario works. There is a difference in using the different exe.. The old exe gets the license from a registry key created when you originally Installed the software. The new exe gets it from SAGETVUSERKEY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newexe.jpg (103.7 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg olexe.jpg (77.4 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-12-2016 at 11:39 AM.