SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Well it worked with the old exe and not the new exe. I have been using sageTV for a long time so believe me when I tell you that scenario works.
So is the environment variable set properly as a System EV ? That's the only thing I think that would be different between the exe's. The new one get's the license key from the EV.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
So is the environment variable set properly as a System EV ? That's the only thing I think that would be different between the exe's. The new one get's the license key from the EV.
This is the key I replaced my original key with My Sage Key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Frey Technologies]
"LastInstallDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\SageTV\\"
"SAGETVUSERKEY"="My Sage Key"
Old 01-12-2016, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
On the options page of the install there is a field to enter your license key...I guess if you do not enter it then there is no second chance except by manually adding the key to the environment variables as per the FAQ.

New users do not need this as keys are no longer available but for existing sage users someone could readd the REGISTER cmd and make it add the environment variable

k
hi. for us non-technical types, will this installer work equally as well with either 32 or 64 bit versions, and/or W7 or W10? I need to stay with 32 bit due to 1394 channel changing. thanks
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 01-12-2016, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

That's not the correct location. I do cache the key there during the install but you need to go into control panel, System, Advance Settings, Environment Variables and create or update the key in there.

It is also found at the following location in the registry (where ALL environment variables are stored by windows)...

Under HKLM

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

k
Old 01-12-2016, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
hi. for us non-technical types, will this installer work equally as well with either 32 or 64 bit versions, and/or W7 or W10? I need to stay with 32 bit due to 1394 channel changing. thanks
In theory yes. I would love it if someone tested that as so far I have only run it on a 64 bit windows OS....but it should work on 32 or 64 bit windows.

k
Old 01-12-2016, 12:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's not the correct location. I do cache the key there during the install but you need to go into control panel, System, Advance Settings, Environment Variables and create or update the key in there.

It is also found at the following location in the registry (where ALL environment variables are stored by windows)...

Under HKLM

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

k
I wonder if that is due to UAC?
Old 01-12-2016, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I wonder if that is due to UAC?
Not UAC - environment variables are not a registry feature - in fact, they pre-date windows entirely. Windows just chooses to store them in the registry for environment variables that are set on every boot.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-12-2016, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

A reboot fixed I .... it did update the environment variable .... I guess I had to reboot to load the newly added environment levels.

The only thing missing is the Java Heap great work.

Overall A++++
Old 01-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

OK, but is the environment variable set with the key? Sage v9 does not look in the registry. That registry entry is only used for Sage v7 or older.

V9 only looks for the environment variable to be set.

If using Windows 7, right-click on "Computer" and choose "Properties" (or go to the Control Panel and choose "System"). Then click "Advanced System Settings". Then "Environment Variables". There are 2 sets of variables: User and System. I assume this should be a system variable.

++++Edit++++
Never mind, I guess it took me too long to post as others already posted and you already figured this out.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR

Last edited by Tiki; 01-12-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
OK, but is the environment variable set with the key? Sage v9 does not look in the registry. That registry entry is only used for Sage v7 or older.

V9 only looks for the environment variable to be set.

If using Windows 7, right-click on "Computer" and choose "Properties" (or go to the Control Panel and choose "System"). Then click "Advanced System Settings". Then "Environment Variables". There are 2 sets of variables: User and System. I assume this should be a system variable.

++++Edit++++
Never mind, I guess it took me too long to post as others already posted and you already figured this out.
That is ok no problem help is always appreciated.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

A reboot fixed I .... it did update the environment variable .... I guess I had to reboot to load the newly added environment levels.

The only thing missing is the Java Heap great work.

Overall A++++
So....should I set java heap to 0 with the installer since the exe do not?
Old 01-12-2016, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So....should I set java heap to 0 with the installer since the exe do not?
I personally prefer the equivalent of 300 (768) at the very least. Makes it easier on non techies... the best would be 400 (1024).

Especially if first Installing the Server for the first time 400 (1024) is the best.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I personally prefer the equivalent of 300 (768) at the very least. Makes it easier on non techies... the best would be 400 (1024).
I have not checked the source but Fuzzy stated the IF there is NO setting in the registry OR if the setting is set to "0" then the default is used which is 768.

So if I set it to "0" and it uses the default then at least there is a value in the registry for someone to find and change.

Long term I suggest someone add a config somewhere in the product to adjust this directly.

k
Old 01-12-2016, 02:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
As for the client installation which is what I was playing with, it appears to be working very well. Very nice. I hope we eventually get something that reads v9 on our splash screen, but that's probably not your problem. I know there was a thread full of suggestions; I don't know if it went anywhere.
Splash issue.... this is embedded in the Sage.jar file but I agree this really needs to be updated before I complete the installer....I just would not make sense to have the v9 installer launch the apps with a V7 splash screen.

I suggest...someone... other than me change the 3 splash screens attached here to something generic....with just the Sage TV logo and perhaps the version....something like...

SageTV (logo)
Version 9
By The SageTV Authors

The should match size and bit depth and type of those attached.

Long term IF we ever agree on something new we can change it.

Volunteers ?

k

Attached Images
File Type: gif splashminiclient.gif (100.0 KB, 622 views)
File Type: gif splash.gif (100.0 KB, 617 views)
File Type: gif splashclient.gif (100.0 KB, 621 views)
Old 01-12-2016, 02:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have not checked the source but Fuzzy stated the IF there is NO setting in the registry OR if the setting is set to "0" then the default is used which is 768.

So if I set it to "0" and it uses the default then at least there is a value in the registry for someone to find and change.

Long term I suggest someone add a config somewhere in the product to adjust this directly.

k
I tried Increasing and decreasing the Java Heap and it still remained at 768 ... maybe the install SageTV9 is looking somewhere else.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Frey Technologies\SageTV]
"JVMMaxHeapSizeMB"=dword:00000000
Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I tried Increasing and decreasing the Java Heap and it still remained at 768 ... maybe the install SageTV9 is looking somewhere else.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Frey Technologies\SageTV]
"JVMMaxHeapSizeMB"=dword:00000000
It's here on mine (V7 server)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Frey Technologies\SageTV]
"JVMMaxHeapSizeMB"=dword:00000400
Old 01-12-2016, 02:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Yeah I do not have that key ... I will wait for your next release. My test server is ok with 768 for now.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-12-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I don't know much about windows programming, but, the source code for this leads me to believe that Wow6432 is not part of the key.

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...cher.cpp#L1147

From the code it appears to default to 768mb, and if the JVMMaxHeapSizeMB key exists, it will use it, otherwise it will set it to 0.

It appears the full key would be
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\SageTV

Unless the windows API is somehow injecting the Wow part there??
Old 01-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

The Wow6432Node registry part will be used if 32bit programms are running on 64bit OS: http://windowsitpro.com/systems-mana...egistry-subkey .

OS will transparently redirect the access from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\<company>\<product> to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<company>\<product> - no need for special codings in the 32bit programm.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Sage Expert

Is this what you're looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: gif splash.gif (97.8 KB, 356 views)
File Type: gif splashclient.gif (97.7 KB, 324 views)
File Type: gif splashminiclient.gif (97.8 KB, 325 views)
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.