SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
I created a mixed environment with a SageTV V7 install updated manually to V9 by following the FAQ.

I then ran the new installer for version 9.0.3.194 (client).

I found that Sage.jar and SageTV7.xml did NOT update to the new versions. I did the install with logging on and noticed that the installer sees these files as "Existing file is unversioned but modified" so it "won't overwrite".

I will need to investigate IF I can/should fix this.
Any idea yet if this behavior will be changing? I imagine that some users who have manually updated to v9 will want to move to an 'update path' that includes the new installer.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
not having ever seen a wix project, does this help out?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...o-button-group
No. That article is referring the the UI built into the MSI itself. That UI is suppressed as I am using the Bootstraper (Burn) UI which is the bundle that wraps the MSI and other prerequisite installers together. The UI you see in the installer is less customizable. It is basically themeable and does allow adding some textboxes/checkboxes/radiobuttons BUT without a custom bootstrapper you have no control over those other than collecting their values when the user moves on to the install.

k
Old 01-13-2016, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Question about the SageTVClient Installer.

I was under the impression that if you Install SageTV 9 without a client license you cannot use the SageTV MPEG Decoder. I did not see a place to Input a key in the client Installer.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadeau View Post
I decided to improve on the splash screens. The 9 didn't look right. Also changed credit to "SageTV Community Authors".
Not to step on any toes, but here's a version with anti-aliasing on the fonts...

I also included a ZIP of the GIMP files I used to create these. Splash.xcf is the original file with the old logos cloned out and text added in separate layers. The other 2 files have just a copypaste of the changed portion on top of the original.
Attached Images
File Type: gif splash.gif (94.6 KB, 302 views)
File Type: gif splashclient.gif (98.8 KB, 281 views)
File Type: gif splashminiclient.gif (98.5 KB, 274 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip splashlogos.zip (573.7 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by millerbrad; 01-13-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Question about the SageTVClient Installer.

I was under the impression that if you Install SageTV 9 without a client license you cannot use the SageTV MPEG Decoder. I did not see a place to Input a key in the client Installer.
I don't believe that has ever been enforced. Though at the same time, I don't believe SageTV 9 Client comes with the SageTV MPEG Decoder.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-13-2016, 01:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't believe that has ever been enforced. Though at the same time, I don't believe SageTV 9 Client comes with the SageTV MPEG Decoder.
Updating the old way just copying over the Jars worked fine with the SageTV decoder ... some of the folks I support require closed captions... and that is the only decoder the CC's work with in Sage.

Even though I can select it in the client setup it appears to no be using it.

I have to do some testing to see which upgrade path is better.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-13-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Along those lines, has any thought been given to replacing those? LAV Filters are probably among the highest regarded filters at the moment:
https://github.com/nevcairiel/lavfilters

Ideally that would involve changing the default filters to LAV as well.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

I think step one would just be to update which filters are listed in the options in the display to include the LAV filters - not really an install issue though. I know Andy went through and updated these a bit a few years back, adding ArcSoft if i remember - but adding LAV would certainly make sense now.

Really, the whole directshow playback needs some updating - the ability to use madVR would be highly sought after as well by some.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-13-2016, 02:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Well If I install the licensed client and copy over the Jars etc... I can use Sagetv MPEG Decoder and closed captions work. Installing SageTV 9 from scratch no closed captions. That is sort of a deal breaker unless I can find another decoder that does CC.

Using the Installer breaks closed captions.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-13-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well If I install the licensed client and copy over the Jars etc... I can use Sagetv MPEG Decoder and closed captions work. Installing SageTV 9 from scratch no closed captions. That is sort of a deal breaker unless I can find another decoder that does CC.

Using the Installer breaks closed captions.
I cannot comment on the license for this feature but if it is not working with the V9 installer it is an installer issue and NOT a license issue.

Obviously the installer is missing something but as I am not familiar with this I do not know what it is. Do you or anyone else know what components encompass this feature? I could then search the old installer and see if I missed registering something or ???

k
Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
Any idea yet if this behavior will be changing? I imagine that some users who have manually updated to v9 will want to move to an 'update path' that includes the new installer.
I think the best I can do is upload the MSI file and provide the command line options needed to FORCE the installer to overwrite all files with files from the installer. I have tested this and this works.

k
Old 01-13-2016, 02:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I cannot comment on the license for this feature but if it is not working with the V9 installer it is an installer issue and NOT a license issue.

Obviously the installer is missing something but as I am not familiar with this I do not know what it is. Do you or anyone else know what components encompass this feature? I could then search the old installer and see if I missed registering something or ???

k
I believe Jeff had said that the Decoder would not be provided in the open source my believe is that the Decoder file provided that overlays that good one is crippled. As copying over the jars and StV works fine.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

k
No, I don't think it's an installer issue. I think it's a limitation of going open source.

I think that the decoder was bundled with the paid versions of Sage (v7 and earlier), but removed from the open source version due to licensing restrictions. There is probably nothing in the decoder to prevent it from working with the open source version.

Therefore, it will probably work if you install v9 over the top of an existing v7 installation. And, it will probably work if you do a fresh installation of v9 and copy the appropriate file(s) over from a v7 install. But, redistributing the decoder with v9 would probably be a license violation.

So, like with the EPG, existing users with licensed copies of V7 or earlier can probably keep using their old Sage decoder with v9 if they want. But, for new users, the community is going to need to develop work-arounds (like paying for a Schedules Direct subscription in the case of the EPG). As suggested above, there are probably other ways to handle this, such as LAV filters.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-13-2016, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
No, I don't think it's an installer issue. I think it's a limitation of going open source.

I think that the decoder was bundled with the paid versions of Sage (v7 and earlier), but removed from the open source version due to licensing restrictions. There is probably nothing in the decoder to prevent it from working with the open source version.

Therefore, it will probably work if you install v9 over the top of an existing v7 installation. And, it will probably work if you do a fresh installation of v9 and copy the appropriate file(s) over from a v7 install. But, redistributing the decoder with v9 would probably be a license violation.

So, like with the EPG, existing users with licensed copies of V7 or earlier can probably keep using their old Sage decoder with v9 if they want. But, for new users, the community is going to need to develop work-arounds (like paying for a Schedules Direct subscription in the case of the EPG). As suggested above, there are probably other ways to handle this, such as LAV filters.
It did not work Installing SageTV 9 over a working SageTV 7 Installation ... it did work if I just copied over the jars and STV to the Sagetv 7 Installation.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It did not work Installing SageTV 9 over a working SageTV 7 Installation ... it did work if I just copied over the jars and STV to the Sagetv 7 Installation.
Likely I am installing or overwriting something that perhaps I should not be as I did need to pull a bunch of files from a V7 install into the V9 installer.

Does anyone know what files are part of this ?

k
Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Likely I am installing or overwriting something that perhaps I should not be as I did need to pull a bunch of files from a V7 install into the V9 installer.

Does anyone know what files are part of this ?

k

You will find them in the Sagetv Common folder.

I believe decoders end in ax.

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\Common

11/20/2002 07:03 PM 69,632 Deinterlace.ax
06/15/2011 04:05 PM 110,592 MPEG2Dump.ax
06/15/2011 04:06 PM 73,728 MpegAudioEnc2.ax
06/15/2011 04:05 PM 360,448 MpegDeMux.ax
06/15/2011 04:06 PM 118,784 MpegMux.ax
06/15/2011 04:05 PM 94,208 MusicVisFilter.ax
06/15/2011 04:04 PM 221,184 SageTVFileSrc.ax
06/15/2011 04:05 PM 192,512 StrmDeMux.ax
04/18/2008 03:53 PM 389,120 stvl2ad.ax
04/18/2008 03:53 PM 258,048 stvl2ae.ax
04/18/2008 03:53 PM 1,785,856 stvm2vd.ax
04/18/2008 03:53 PM 376,832 stvm2ve.ax
04/18/2008 03:53 PM 528,384 stvmpeg2mux.ax
04/18/2008 03:53 PM 1,355,776 stvmpgdmx.ax
04/18/2008 03:53 PM 151,552 stvmuxmpeg.ax
06/15/2011 04:05 PM 245,760 TSSplitter.ax

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-13-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Here is Jeff's prior note on these NOT being included in SageTV OS 9...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
The MPEG2 DirectShow filters for decoding will NOT be included in the open source release because they were commercially licensed. You can just get these elsewhere such as ffdshow or more than likely there's already one installed on your system.
I will remove the files from the installer and then you can retest if the install of V9 over V7 works.

k
Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Here is Jeff's prior note on these NOT being included in SageTV OS 9...

I will remove the files from the installer and then you can retest if the install of V9 over V7 works.

k
Understood I will test it whenever you are ready.. Nothing beats the SageTV Mpeg Decoder on my Win 10 Kangaroo mini Client.. it performs flawlessly. So I need to keep my licensed decoders.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Understood I will test it whenever you are ready.. Nothing beats the SageTV Mpeg Decoder on my Win 10 Kangaroo mini Client.. it performs flawlessly. So I need to keep my licensed decoders.
I have not generally used PCs for playback, just extenders. But what is the recommended settings for both MPEG-2 and H.264 under Win 10?
Old 01-14-2016, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

What I would try is getting the LAV filters:
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

And you can select them in Sage if you pick the "Show All Filters" option. Full disclosure, I don't really use SageClient but they do appear to work in it, from moments of testing.