SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-10-2016, 02:47 AM
Sage User

Lost Recording Schedule And ERROR (-10): No encoders can tune the selected station

I seem to have two problems that I am not sure if they are related or not, but they have both apparently happened at the same time - within the last 12 hours or so. My recording schedule has completely disappeared; all I get is the "There are no scheduled recordings to display. If you believe there are scheduled recordings that should be listed (and there should be a number of them), please check the filter settings". My EPG seems fine; I have data out to at least 1/20/16...

In addition to losing the recording schedule, and this has also happened within the last 12 hours or so, I am getting the "Error (-10): No encoders can tune the selected station" error immediately whenever I try to tune a live TV station. The light on the HDHR doesn't even flicker to show it's trying to tune the station. The HDHR application works fine on both my server and client; I removed and re-setup one of the tuners with no change. I then removed the other two and re-setup those as well (I did it this way to avoid having to set all of the channels back up). In the Source Details screen for each of the sources it is showing "Functioning: False" so I am thinking that is the problem, but not sure how to fix it... also, Sage seems to struggle when trying to access the sources more than I remember during the initial setup of them. The only thing I did to the server today was to change the name of the server; I knew this would mess up the client and it did; editing the client.properties and .autobackup files fixed that, but I can't imaging editing config files on the client would have any effect on the server - I think it's just a coincidence... does anyone have any ideas?
i5-6600K, 16GB, GeForce GT730 2GB, Win10 Pro 20H2, Java: 64-bit 1.8.0_271, SageTV x64 9.2.2.903
Old 01-10-2016, 07:09 AM
SageTVaholic

It sounds like PNE isn't running or the SageTV service cannot talk to it for whatever reason. Odds are if you go into the details for one of the sources in SageTV, it will probably say Functioning:false. If sage cannot talk to a network encoder, it will set the encoder's functioning value to false, which will remove it from any scheduling and tuning logic (in SageTV 7, once a network encoder was flagged as false, it would remain false until you navigate to it's detail page, forcing it to check it again).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Check out this thread. kinda seems like you may have a similar issue.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62840

I think loosing your recording favorites is a symptom of losing all your tuners. Once the tuners are found, your favorites should come back.

I would expect stopping and restarting SageTV (this includes the service, if you use it.), should have reinstated the tuners. It may even require shutting down the PC that the SageTV server is running on (this will also reset the PC NIC as well). Wouldn't hurt to power cycle the Prime while the Sage server is down.

Another point of failure could be your switch (or even the cables), but try the other stuff first.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
...Odds are if you go into the details for one of the sources in SageTV, it will probably say Functioning:false. .
Noted in my (kinda long) original post; but thanks for confirming that this likely was the root of my issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
Check out this thread. kinda seems like you may have a similar issue.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62840

I think loosing your recording favorites is a symptom of losing all your tuners. Once the tuners are found, your favorites should come back.

I would expect stopping and restarting SageTV (this includes the service, if you use it.), should have reinstated the tuners. It may even require shutting down the PC that the SageTV server is running on (this will also reset the PC NIC as well). Wouldn't hurt to power cycle the Prime while the Sage server is down.

Another point of failure could be your switch (or even the cables), but try the other stuff first.
Thanks for the replies, guys. I had already rebooted the server, the HDHR, verified the PNE Scheduled Task was running (with heightened priority), the SageTV Service was running, firewall was turned off for testing... - thought I had covered everything. Ended up recycling everything again - this time including switches, router, cable modem, HDHR - and now everything is working! The root issue as you both had mentioned was if the tuners weren't visible to Sage, the recording schedule wouldn't be visible either, although my testing indicated it was still there.

Thanks again gentlemen! Now I just need to figure out why I apparently can't tune the Encore SD stations (must have something to do with the fact that in the HDHR Prime web server they show up as DRM channels)...
i5-6600K, 16GB, GeForce GT730 2GB, Win10 Pro 20H2, Java: 64-bit 1.8.0_271, SageTV x64 9.2.2.903
Old 01-11-2016, 02:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyp View Post
Now I just need to figure out why I apparently can't tune the Encore SD stations (must have something to do with the fact that in the HDHR Prime web server they show up as DRM channels)...
If they show as DRM in the web server, SageTV will not be able to tune them. You should remove any of those from the HDHR's lineup in sage. That's the key reason many who use the prime also have at least one HD-PVR and a cable box - to pick up those DRM'd channels.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-07-2016, 07:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
It sounds like PNE isn't running or the SageTV service cannot talk to it for whatever reason. Odds are if you go into the details for one of the sources in SageTV, it will probably say Functioning:false. If sage cannot talk to a network encoder, it will set the encoder's functioning value to false, which will remove it from any scheduling and tuning logic (in SageTV 7, once a network encoder was flagged as false, it would remain false until you navigate to it's detail page, forcing it to check it again).
sorry, can you explain how to regain the tuners? I don't understand what you've said here, and this loss of favorites just happened to my system as well. What does PNE stand for?
Everything was fine, then I made the obvious mistake of messing with recording filters (maybe) and everything disappeared from scheduled recordings. Favorites are all still present in their menu, but no recordings are scheduled.
Both tuners show as Functioning: True / Network Encoder:False
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 12-07-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
sorry, can you explain how to regain the tuners? I don't understand what you've said here, and this loss of favorites just happened to my system as well. What does PNE stand for?
Everything was fine, then I made the obvious mistake of messing with recording filters (maybe) and everything disappeared from scheduled recordings. Favorites are all still present in their menu, but no recordings are scheduled.
Both tuners show as Functioning: True / Network Encoder:False
PNE= Prime Network Encoder

You brought back a thread from nearly a year ago. Open DCT has pretty much completely replaced it as far as 3rd party/network tuner interfaces with Sage are concerned.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
PNE= Prime Network Encoder

You brought back a thread from nearly a year ago. Open DCT has pretty much completely replaced it as far as 3rd party/network tuner interfaces with Sage are concerned.
lol. And what does DCT stand for? Under your definition, are Hauppauge tuners 3rd party? Some boards like users to start new threads, some like users to keep repetition to a minimum. It's always hard to know which.
Nonetheless, what I was looking for was what Fuzzy meant by saying to re-engage the network encoder as true.
Still not sure how to do that
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
lol. And what does DCT stand for? Under your definition, are Hauppauge tuners 3rd party? Some boards like users to start new threads, some like users to keep repetition to a minimum. It's always hard to know which.
Nonetheless, what I was looking for was what Fuzzy meant by saying to re-engage the network encoder as true.
Still not sure how to do that
DCT = digital cable tuner. This is basically a device that uses a cable card like HDHR Prime.

3rd party / network tuner is anything that you don't setup 100% from inside the SageTV software. Most of the Hauppauge tuners are supported natively by Sage and don't need you to install, setup, and run any helper applications to make them work (you still may need to install a driver, but that should be it).

Cable card tuners are not natively supported by Sage because they were just getting going when Sage got bought by Google. To make them work, members of the community wrote separate programs like OpenDCT that act as an interface between SageTV and the cable card tuner. These programs have to be up and running before Sage starts, or Sage won't see the tuner. These programs use the Network Tuner protocol to talk to Sage.

On power up (and certain other times) Sage checks to see what tuners are available. Then periodically, Sage runs its scheduling engine where it looks to see what upcoming favorites need to be recorded and what tuners are available (configured and functional and not already scheduled to record something else) If it can't find any available tuners, you get a conflict.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-08-2016, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
DCT = digital cable tuner. This is basically a device that uses a cable card like HDHR Prime.

3rd party / network tuner is anything that you don't setup 100% from inside the SageTV software. Most of the Hauppauge tuners are supported natively by Sage and don't need you to install, setup, and run any helper applications to make them work (you still may need to install a driver, but that should be it).

Cable card tuners are not natively supported by Sage because they were just getting going when Sage got bought by Google. To make them work, members of the community wrote separate programs like OpenDCT that act as an interface between SageTV and the cable card tuner. These programs have to be up and running before Sage starts, or Sage won't see the tuner. These programs use the Network Tuner protocol to talk to Sage.

On power up (and certain other times) Sage checks to see what tuners are available. Then periodically, Sage runs its scheduling engine where it looks to see what upcoming favorites need to be recorded and what tuners are available (configured and functional and not already scheduled to record something else) If it can't find any available tuners, you get a conflict.
Brilliant, that explains mostly everything. Thanks. Now I have to figure out why, other than the likely wiz.bin corruption, Sage decided to ignore ALL my favorites.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Brilliant, that explains mostly everything. Thanks. Now I have to figure out why, other than the likely wiz.bin corruption, Sage decided to ignore ALL my favorites.
Most likely causes:

1 Wiz.bin corrupted, so no favorites configured.
2 EPG not working so no guide data to use for scheduling.
3 No tuners available (not configured, offline, not working, etc).
4 Sage scheduler is choking for some reason.

For number 4, maybe you have some corrupted EPG data. Or, maybe you have the scheduling look ahead set too large in Sage (I think it defaults to 3 days, but I have mine set to 7). I've seen people have problems if the scheduling look ahead is set to longer than 7 days. I think I've also seen people have problems with certain favorites that are on too often.

Try decreasing the scheduling look ahead to 3 days (I think you have to edit the properties file for that one).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Most likely causes:

For number 4, maybe you have some corrupted EPG data. Or, maybe you have the scheduling look ahead set too large in Sage (I think it defaults to 3 days, but I have mine set to 7). I've seen people have problems if the scheduling look ahead is set to longer than 7 days. I think I've also seen people have problems with certain favorites that are on too often.

Try decreasing the scheduling look ahead to 3 days (I think you have to edit the properties file for that one).
The default in v9 (and I think the last version of v7) is 14 days. I did have problems before in v7 whereby changing this to a smaller number actually helped. I noticed that some shows that exceeded something like 500 airings could cause all of the favorites to stop working if you had it set to 14 days.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 12-09-2016, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Most likely causes:

Thanks. The EPG was fine, my tuners were responding and functioning, so it's likely one or four, and I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot #four, so I bit the bullet, spent a day and rebuilt the damn thing
Old 12-09-2016, 09:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
The default in v9 (and I think the last version of v7) is 14 days. I did have problems before in v7 whereby changing this to a smaller number actually helped. I noticed that some shows that exceeded something like 500 airings could cause all of the favorites to stop working if you had it set to 14 days.
Whatever the default is, 14 days? That's what it was on. I didn't realize multiple repeats could overload it, but anything's possible. 500 airings? Tosh marathon on Comedy?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Whatever the default is, 14 days? That's what it was on. I didn't realize multiple repeats could overload it, but anything's possible. 500 airings? Tosh marathon on Comedy?
If I recall, it was some very popular shows on HBO that run tons of repeats. I was surprised myself at just how many airings there were. This is purely anecdotal evidence. Initially I just removed some shows and the favorites would come back. When I re-added the shows the next day everything might seem fine for a few days, then all my favorites would not recording again. Then I though to reduce the number of days to schedule ahead and that fixed it for good.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 12-09-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: incomplete sentence