SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
FF REW Bug in Client

I thought I would post here, but I found an earlier post in the SageTV Software section where a number of people were seeing the issue I am having.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61277

Basically on the SageTV client, after playing a show for a few minutes, pressing FF or REW is causing a spinning circle for about five seconds before it skips. if I continue to press FF or REW after that, there are no more delays, and it skips perfectly. If I wait another few minutes while watching the show, the delay is back on the first press of either FF or REW.
I transitioned from an HD300 to a client PC on one of my TV's and have no issues on my HD300's
It acts like when you ask a pc to do something after the hard drive has been powered down, and you get a delay as the hard drive spins up, but I have checked both the Client and Server for that issue.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Same situation here. Going from an HD300 to PC client. Been working on several codec filter issues as well. Thought it might be a decoder issue but doesn't seem related to a specific decoder. Happens on some, but not all, automatic commercial skips as well as some manual skips. Usually the first skip.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm getting ready to try the newest beta #2 of the client installer to see if it changes things for the better. Will let you know.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Sage

The most likely place for something like this would be in the demux filter that we wrote. That's where the Seek call from DirectShow will go into the filter and then it'll make requests to the source filter to reposition the stream...there's likely logic in there which does multiple reads to try to get the best approximation for the seek...but sounds like there's an issue with that. If a dev is going to look into this; feel free to ping me for questions on it...I don't have a Windows dev setup to look into this myself...but I'm somewhat familiar with that part of the code.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was using the version 7 converted to version 9. I switched to the version 9 installer beta 2 and the same thing is happening both before and after the switch over. My client is on a new i7 4790 with 16gigs of ram and geforce 960 video card and SSD drive. Overkill to say the least, but I know its not a slow system causing it for me.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 PM
Sage Icon

By any chance, has anybody had the time to look into this?
Old 02-19-2016, 07:54 AM
Sage Icon

As an update for others this affects on SageTV Client. If you hit Pause, Play, then FF or REW, there is no 5 second pause on the first press.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
As an update for others this affects on SageTV Client. If you hit Pause, Play, then FF or REW, there is no 5 second pause on the first press.
I hate to revive old threads but I am seeing this for quite a while now myself. This is on a client running Windows 8.1. I tried different codecs with all the same results. Currently, I have it set to AC3filter and Microsoft's builtin codec for video. I do not see anything in the logs that would indicate any reason for the 5 second delay.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wischgol View Post
I hate to revive old threads but I am seeing this for quite a while now myself. This is on a client running Windows 8.1. I tried different codecs with all the same results. Currently, I have it set to AC3filter and Microsoft's builtin codec for video. I do not see anything in the logs that would indicate any reason for the 5 second delay.
Here's the bug report I put in back in 2016:
https://github.com/google/sagetv/issues/110

I don't think anybody has looked at it, so I would not get my hopes up. Narflex pointed in the direction where the code probably has this issue (the demuxer filter), which would likely not show errors, because, although there is a delay in seeking the point at which it will skip, it doesn't fail at it.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone have a server log file from when this happens?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Sage Icon

Can someone with this issue try setting this in the registry?

Code:
HLKM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\Frey Technologies\Common\DSFilters\MpegDeMux\SeekByPTS = 0
on 64-bit SageTV:

Code:
HLKM\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\DSFilters\MpegDeMux\SeekByPTS = 0
It's of type REG_DWORD and you'll have to create the 'SeekByPTS' key. The rest of the path should be there already with keys such as 'RemuxOptimize'.

This changes the method used to seek. Seeing if this affects anything will help to narrow it down.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just set this variable in the registry of one of my client. The behavior is still the same, i.e. it still hangs for a few seconds.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wischgol View Post
I just set this variable in the registry of one of my client. The behavior is still the same, i.e. it still hangs for a few seconds.
Can you post a log file from right after this happens?
Old 04-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry this took so long. I was out of town and wanted to make sure that I am on the latest version of SageTV. So this was done with SageTV 9.2.1. I stopped the video right after it gave me the spinning wheel for hitting the fast forward button. I hope you can see more from this than I can.

Thanks,
Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetvclient_0.zip (86.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: zip sagetvclient_1.zip (82.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: zip sagetvclient_2.zip (475.1 KB, 185 views)