SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Android TV?

So I just got my SageTV server going again. Man am I rusty! going to try to get it all configured as I did several years ago and then upgrade it to 9, least that is my current plan.

Wondering about Android TV I know there is an android miniclient out there now?

I've been looking at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Nexus...gAAOSwDNdVsp91

But it doesn't have an IR remote, nor does it have an Ethernet connection. Is there a better Android TV unit out there? I'm hoping for something "Roku-ish" that I can put sageTV on. by Roku-ish I feel the Roku had a VERY easy to see / use interface. and I feel many of the solutions out there have tiny fonts, and way to busy of an interface. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 02-20-2016, 10:34 PM
SageTVaholic

I've got one. Got it for $50 while best buy still had them in stock.

Great device for the price you'll pay, but it does have some drawbacks.

Unless it's fixed, Android 6 messes with brightness and makes the picture look...odd on some sources. Should be fixed as it is a known issue.

I got an Nvidia shield TV and man is it worth the extra price. Fastest streaming device I've ever used.

I still say my Nexus Player is a fantastic device though.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Take a look at this thread
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62852

The purpose of it was to get a sense for what some good (and maybe bad) Android TV choices.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks - I think I'll get me a Nexus Player for now. it will allow me to try out the android miniclient.

Does , or will the android miniclient support fast forward / rewind like the sage extenders do? (smooth FF/REW not jump xx seconds a push) I'm hoping to have something that does.
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 02-22-2016, 01:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
Thanks - I think I'll get me a Nexus Player for now. it will allow me to try out the android miniclient.

Does , or will the android miniclient support fast forward / rewind like the sage extenders do? (smooth FF/REW not jump xx seconds a push) I'm hoping to have something that does.
I'm not sure I fully understand... but there is no concept of a playback speed... so ff/rew are skip increments... ie, 30 seconds ahead, or 10 seconds back, etc. There is no VCR emulation
Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think you got what I was asking. On the HD-200, for instance, if I press FF I see the video going by more quickly.

As a point of difference - Plex on a Roku for instance. you can repeatedly hit skip ahead, or you can FF, But FF is relatively blind, you just have to know / guess when to hit play.

(yeah on the roku and plex you can enable thumbnails, still not as nice as the FF/REW on the HD-200)

Regardless it seems the android mini client is the future client for SageTV. I've got the SageTV client running on a lenovo q150 (Atom D525 with ion graphics) but so far it is struggling to play HD with being herky jerky. And, Humbly, the fact that Fuzzy is looking to get an android client - well that says something about windows, and codecs, and and and. as opposed to "hey it works"
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
I think you got what I was asking. On the HD-200, for instance, if I press FF I see the video going by more quickly.

As a point of difference - Plex on a Roku for instance. you can repeatedly hit skip ahead, or you can FF, But FF is relatively blind, you just have to know / guess when to hit play.

(yeah on the roku and plex you can enable thumbnails, still not as nice as the FF/REW on the HD-200)

Regardless it seems the android mini client is the future client for SageTV. I've got the SageTV client running on a lenovo q150 (Atom D525 with ion graphics) but so far it is struggling to play HD with being herky jerky. And, Humbly, the fact that Fuzzy is looking to get an android client - well that says something about windows, and codecs, and and and. as opposed to "hey it works"
The challenge for these mini-pcs as Android Clients is same issue as Windows. Basically they are probably not going to have hardware decoders for mpeg2, h264, h265, etc. Where as something like, Nexus Player (for $49 on sale), or even my old phone does have hardware decoders, and those decoders make a huge difference in your experience. For example, I can play hdpvr streams (720p h264) on my phone without any issues. On the SheildTV unit I can play anything that have as samples, no issues.