SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Raw Photos Support

Hi,
I'm a long time Sage user.
Just curious if with all the Open Source activity, if anyone has or is planning on adding support to view photos taken in RAW format (cr2,nef etc)?
It's the only feature that I would love at this point because I'm forced to take pics in RAW and also jpg just so I can view them on my Sage screensaver.

Thanks
Nelson
Old 08-05-2016, 02:31 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't think I've ever even imported a photo into sagetv.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-06-2016, 12:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well that's good to know. You should try it out.
I try to use every feature and was just hoping someone figured a way around this limitation, maybe in the new open source version or something. So if you come across something useful, let me know.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2016, 05:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomfsoc View Post
It's the only feature that I would love at this point because I'm forced to take pics in RAW and also jpg just so I can view them on my Sage screensaver.
Surely there must be a way to convert RAW to jpg, instead of taking two pictures?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-06-2016, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I don't think I've ever even imported a photo into sagetv.
I have thousands and use them and they are displayed as screen savers on my TVs. One of the best features od SageTV, I get to see my old photos all the time.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I don't physically take 2 pictures, the camera saves 2 copies of the same pic.
But I store the 2 versions only because sage can't display the RAW ones.
It really is one of the best features of sage. Sometimes you'll lose time just sitting there when the screen saver kicks in or when people come over they love just having it going on in the background.

Anyone know at least why it CAN'T be done?
Old 08-06-2016, 03:12 PM
SageTVaholic

put simply, I just don't think there is any capabilities in Java to pull that in without yet another third party library being thrown in.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-06-2016, 06:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Anyone know at least why it CAN'T be done?
Of course it can be done, but it will take some interested person to do it. And I think you'll have a hard time finding such an interested person.

My real question is why do you want it? RAW files are, by their nature, unprocessed. Don't you process/develop the good pictures? Do you really want all the "less good" pictures shown too?

I shoot RAW too, but I only export the good ones I've developed for Sage to show. The keepers are only a small portion of what I come home with. For example I went to Airventure this past weekend and came back with 5600 pictures. So far about 100 of them are good, non (near) duplicates, that I actually took the time to develop. I don't want the other 5500 pictures showing up in Sage.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

I do process them when and if I plan on printing them or want a real keeper. But like you said, there are many pics that never get touched and just sit on the hard drive, so why not use them for something as simple as a screen saver?
I've been using this feature since day 1, and back in the day it wasn't an issue because older cameras mostly shot to jpegs, but now with DSLR's I would think it would be an obvious step forward. I mean sage can show a PNG... how many of us "NEED" that?
So its cool, I've followed your posts for years Stanger and you've helped up a few time so I respect what you're saying.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:00 PM
SageTVaholic

When I got my first DSLR I remember asking Jeff about adding raw support. But as time has moved on and I've grown as a photographer, and also as I've accumulated more photographs, it's basically fallen off my radar, to the point now where I actually don't want all my pictures in Sage's screensaver.

I don't need pictures of test patterns I shot while adjusting AFMA, or pictures of random things I've taken either to post to support or a forum, etc. Additionally, there's the issue of Raw files being undeveloped, and with default processing often times looking terrible. Not to mention all the near duplicates from continuous drive shooting (many out of focus), trying different exposures, different settings, etc.

There's also the practical issue (for developers) that raw is a moving target. Just look at the release notes from Lightroom or similar, there's always updates for some new camera with some new, slightly different raw format.

All that said, from a practical standpoint (ie the low probability of someone having the skills/interest to add support), if you really want every picture to show up in Sage, your only realistic options are to either always shoot RAW+JPG or to always convert to JPG when you get home.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
When I got my first DSLR I remember asking Jeff about adding raw support. But as time has moved on and I've grown as a photographer, and also as I've accumulated more photographs, it's basically fallen off my radar, to the point now where I actually don't want all my pictures in Sage's screensaver.

I don't need pictures of test patterns I shot while adjusting AFMA, or pictures of random things I've taken either to post to support or a forum, etc. Additionally, there's the issue of Raw files being undeveloped, and with default processing often times looking terrible. Not to mention all the near duplicates from continuous drive shooting (many out of focus), trying different exposures, different settings, etc.

There's also the practical issue (for developers) that raw is a moving target. Just look at the release notes from Lightroom or similar, there's always updates for some new camera with some new, slightly different raw format.

All that said, from a practical standpoint (ie the low probability of someone having the skills/interest to add support), if you really want every picture to show up in Sage, your only realistic options are to either always shoot RAW+JPG or to always convert to JPG when you get home.
I didn't think RAW was really even a standard format- don't different camera manufacturers each have their own proprietary raw format?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I didn't think RAW was really even a standard format- don't different camera manufacturers each have their own proprietary raw format?
Right -- RAW is not a standardized format. It is the raw data for a particular camera and sensor, as the manufacturer chooses to store it. To support RAW files, a library that could read them all would be needed and then it would need to be updated as new cameras and changed RAW files come into existence.

As for the PNG question: it is a standardized format, and thus its support in SageTv comes from whatever image library is used to load images.

Then there is DNG... but the RAW files would need to be converted to that, so you might as well shoot RAW+JPG, which is what I do.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I do process them when and if I plan on printing them or want a real keeper. But like you said, there are many pics that never get touched and just sit on the hard drive, so why not use them for something as simple as a screen saver?
I've been using this feature since day 1, and back in the day it wasn't an issue because older cameras mostly shot to jpegs, but now with DSLR's I would think it would be an obvious step forward. I mean sage can show a PNG... how many of us "NEED" that?
So its cool, I've followed your posts for years Stanger and you've helped up a few time so I respect what you're saying.
I understand what you are saying, but I think of raw as more like a negative. You can do a batch conversion in Lightroom and most Raw editors.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I have thousands and use them and they are displayed as screen savers on my TVs. One of the best features od SageTV, I get to see my old photos all the time.
I agree. It is one of the features why I stuck with STV. We often just let the photos go and watch them.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2