SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-28-2016, 02:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Video playback - H.265/HEVC

Can SageTV playback H.265/HEVC files? This is the first file that I wasn't able to play back so far and I'm wondering if it's a limitation of the player or just a codec that I don't have installed or something. This was on the Nvidia Shield. The SPMC player played the file fine. I ultimately just converted it to H.264 but want to know if HEVC is supposed to be supported.

I've been using SageTV on the Nvidia Shield and like the consistent environment for watching TV and playing video files. To me, it's much better than Plex/SPMC. I don't like the tile interface which seems to be all of the rage now and the SageTV ff/rw controls just work better for me anyway.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
Can SageTV playback H.265/HEVC files? This is the first file that I wasn't able to play back so far and I'm wondering if it's a limitation of the player or just a codec that I don't have installed or something. This was on the Nvidia Shield. The SPMC player played the file fine. I ultimately just converted it to H.264 but want to know if HEVC is supposed to be supported.

I've been using SageTV on the Nvidia Shield and like the consistent environment for watching TV and playing video files. To me, it's much better than Plex/SPMC. I don't like the tile interface which seems to be all of the rage now and the SageTV ff/rw controls just work better for me anyway.
If you are using the Androind MiniClient on the Shield, then it "should" play HEVC files... I've tried a few and the ones that I tried do work. Not sure what is the problem with your particular file. Are you running SageTV 9?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes I'm using SageTV 9 and the android mini client.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

With SageTV server (9.0.8.429), I get the attached error when trying to play it on the server itself. On the android client, I just get a black screen when the video should be playing.

See attached files for more info. No big deal since I just converted to H.264 but it's just a mystery as to why it didn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: png h265error.png (57.5 KB, 266 views)
File Type: png H265-mediainfo.png (11.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 09-30-2016, 05:09 AM
SageTVaholic

The mediainfo shows it's a mp4 container... I know in the files that I've used for testing they are all .mkv files with hevc content. not sure why that would matter.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
With SageTV server (9.0.8.429), I get the attached error when trying to play it on the server itself. On the android client, I just get a black screen when the video should be playing.

See attached files for more info. No big deal since I just converted to H.264 but it's just a mystery as to why it didn't work.
I would not expect to be able to play back HEVC on the server unless you took time to setup the proper codec in Sage first.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-30-2016, 07:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I would not expect to be able to play back HEVC on the server unless you took time to setup the proper codec in Sage first.
Just having a codec installed sage will let directshow connect it for you - but that's only for directshow clients. I believe he is asking about playback on an nvidia shield via a miniclient, which doesn't use any codecs on the server (unless transcoding for placeshifter use - but that uses ffmpeg, not directshow).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Just having a codec installed sage will let directshow connect it for you - but that's only for directshow clients. I believe he is asking about playback on an nvidia shield via a miniclient, which doesn't use any codecs on the server (unless transcoding for placeshifter use - but that uses ffmpeg, not directshow).
He mentioned both- the error message he posted was when trying to playback on the server.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 11-06-2016, 12:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

The issue was with both. The server one was easier to document because I could easily do a screen capture. I mostly use VLC for playback of things on my PC so it's likely there wasn't a directshow codec for this format. The Nvidia Shield was able to play the same H.265 file but not via SageTV so that still remains a mystery.